No announcement yet.

BPX039: Looking After Auntie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Garden is alright. Nice theme tune, and the Ninky Nonk is bloody tremendous.

Not too sure about the dude with turds for ears.

Comment

Most pensioners are better off than young people now. You wouldn't expect them to get Netflix for free. This is no different.

Comment

No but they haven’t paid into Netflix for 60 years.

My old grandad is 90 and won’t qualify for a free license. He lives alone and has less than two years left. He worked from the age of 15 until 65. Served two years National Service. He’ll just be above the threshold. It’s piss poor that we hand out tax cuts to the rich under the fraudulent, economically-illiterate guise of trickle-down economics, and use things like this to fund it.

Comment

Obviously in that particular case you have a great point. There are many, many counter points though. Any tax is unfair to a lot of people and completely irrelevant to many, also. I don't know what the threshold is but should be higher from what you say.

Comment

I rather pay the license fee than be subjected to ads which I find are becoming a real hindrance to my enjoyment.

I'll use The Virtues which recently screened on Channel 4 as an example. It's a brilliant show, superbly written and directed by Shane Meadows with first class performances by all concerned, but I just couldn't get into it properly because every fifteen minutes I was listening to someone trying to sell me toothpaste or watching a talking meerkat or some other nonsensical message. How can any program resonate properly when you're intelligence is regularly insulted like that.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              There are many, many counter points though.
              Like? I don't know what Netflix is but if it's a streaming service then I don't think you have to have a licence.

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
              I rather pay the license fee than be subjected to ads which I find are becoming a real hindrance to my enjoyment.
              Don't fully understand your point, it seems you are complaining about a show you watch having adverts, paying the licence fee won't change that surely as the show isn't on the Beeb. Bit like on a website where you can pay to remove the adverts.

If you watch on catch-up though perhaps it may not have adverts plus, if you do watch on catch-up not iPlayer the Brucie bonus is you may not have to pay the licence fee.

"You don’t need a TV Licence if you or anyone at this address:

never watch or record programmes on any channel as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
              never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand."

Comment

I know. I'm merely expressing my dislike of adverts. When I think of the BBC I think of an advert-free haven. They make good shows too, especially nature and science documentaries, but what really elevates them above the rest is no adverts.

Comment

I'll use The Virtues which recently screened on Channel 4 as an example. It's a brilliant show, superbly written and directed by Shane Meadows with first class performances by all concerned, but I just couldn't get into it properly because every fifteen minutes I was listening to someone trying to sell me toothpaste or watching a talking meerkat or some other nonsensical message. How can any program resonate properly when you're intelligence is regularly insulted like that.
                  Yeah, I mean, it’s hard to disagree with that to be honest.

Comment

Thanks to the kids we record almost everything we watch so adverts haven't been much of an issue on any channel for years. For my money the Beeb needs to A-Make Doctor Who annually rather than when they feel like it, B-Revive Noel's House Party and C-Cancel Strictly

Comment

I saw some story somewhere that I can't vouch for because I can't find the article now and the internet is full of lies but the gist of it was that this is going to cost the government more than they'll save. While they dumped the subsidising of older people's license fees on to the BBC, the result is that large numbers of people affected are going looking to claim benefits they otherwise didn't in order to pay for it. And paying out those benefits outweigh the cost of subsiding the license fee.

Comment

I know. I'm merely expressing my dislike of adverts. When I think of the BBC I think of an advert-free haven. They make good shows too, especially nature and science documentaries, but what really elevates them above the rest is no adverts.
                        Fair-do's, I don't like adverts either. Tend to record and FF through them.

Comment

Yeah, recording is a good solution.

Comment

Working...
                          X