Retro|Spective 071: Dead to Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 071: Dead to Rights

Opening up the new year line up we see our targets line up, our fingers tighten on the trigger and a bead of sweat drip off our brow as we have R|S...

Mainline Entry 01 - Dead to Rights
    Formats:
    Xbox, Playstation 2, PC and Gamecube
    Originally released as a timed exclusive on Xbox, the third person action game from Namco came on the back of the golden shelled era of the bullet time craze. With your trusty canine partner by your side, you gun-fu'd your way through levels as the Last Action Hero level named cop Jack Slate. The fairly standard action fare adventure led to pretty standard reviews but on the back of the craze the game performed decently enough to spur a bit of a future for itself.

Mainline Entry 02 - Dead to Rights II
    Formats:
    Xbox, Playstation 2 and PC
    Despite the number in the title, this sequel was in fact a prequel. The game was pretty much more of the same action that the original game had delivered and like so many fads, gamers were already moving on in their interests so second time out the series failed to enjoy the same success it had the first time.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Dead to Rights: Reckoning
    Formats:
    Playstation Portable
    Namco had already put its weight into the sequel project with the second game and at the same time put development at work on this handheld title that is a prequel to the prequel storyline of the second game. The game failed to make an impact on the system despite faithfully recreating the DtR experience.

Mainline Entry 03 - Dead to Rights: Retribution
    Formats:
    Xbox 360 and Playstation 3
    Despite the drop off in player interest, Namco was happy to try and make one more stab at making DtR a lasting franchise and so followed it up with this third and final main entry. Narratively the game was a reboot, that being said there was nothing that new about the set up with Jack and his dog Shadow once again facing down a criminal organization. Once again the new game drew reasonable reviews but with critics finding it too generic to stand out it seems audiences had the same thoughts and the franchise stopped here.

Share your thoughts and memories of the Dead to Rights franchise

I've played all of these for once and I kind of recall enjoying the original the most even if it always was a fairly straight forward action title. I know I've done the PS3 entry too but I'll be damned if I can recall the experience though.

R|S 072 Clue - Rage of the bare knuckle

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      I've played all of these for once and I kind of recall enjoying the original the most even if it always was a fairly straight forward action title.
      I haven't played any of them. For some reason, I never felt compelled to give them a go.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      R|S 072 Clue - Rage of the bare knuckle
      Streets of Rage. But would the clue be that simple?

Comment

Yes, yes it would

Comment

Please do not include Streets of Rage 4 in that thread. I can't bear it :l

Comment

I always felt Dead To Rights had a lot going for it, but it's one of the definitive examples of the "mid-tier game" category that we had tons of in the PS2 era but died a death in the 360 era.

Comment

Working...
            X