Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Jordan Peele's second film, "Us".
    It's actually a lot of fun and you wonder where the hell it's going a lot of the time.
    The ending is a bit daft and I guessed the twist, but would've felt cheated without it.

There are some real cliché horror moment, but I can't help but feel that Peele knows that and totally plays up to it.

Not quite as tight a story as "Get Out", but was definitely more ambitiously shot.

Comment

I loved Us. I wish there were more films like it.

Comment

Coming To America

Infinitely re-watchable.

We've seen it about five times this year.

Comment

This week I've watched lost Doctor Who story 'Shada'. It's five or six episodes presented as a single feature. It was written by Douglas Adams during Tom Baker's penultimate season and a good way into production it was hit by strikes and budget cuts and ultimately it was shut down a good way into production and never aired in a completed form. It's been presented in a number of ways over the years but recently it was done again with a proper score, animated sections with the proper voices reprising roles, and newly reconstructed/filmed sections. Against the odds it works really well. All exterior and most interior Earth based parts were originally filmed back in the day, leaving mostly the off-world spacey stuff to be animated, and it does the job. The script is really great, as you'd expect from Douglas Adams, and carries the whole thing regardless of production issues. And the score is a doozey ... perfectly evocative of the period and still in my head. I'll be watching it again very soon I think.

Also watched In A Lonely Place. Humphrey Bogart as I've never seen him ... complex and dark ... and dark is what the film is. Sending you one way then pulling the rug this way and that. To it's credit the film never cops out with the bleakness. It's very good but not one I'll revisit.
          Last edited by Atticus; 18-10-2019, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I loved Us. I wish there were more films like it.
            It's silly and disposable, but it had me gripped and entertained right to the end.
            Not every film has to be an Oscar-chaser to be valid entertainment.

Comment

As well as watching El Camino, I watched The Grudge 2 this weekend. I hadn’t seen it before. Like the first US Grudge film, I find it a fascinating glimpse into the difference pacing can make in a movie because we have a perfect direct comparison. Same director, same setup, same scary tricks, mostly same location. The one difference between the Ju-on films and Grudge films is pacing. And for me, the US films are far less effective for that one reason alone. The Japanese movies let you wallow in that atmosphere and almost just allow your own brain to create the creeps whereas the US films don’t allow for tension to build.

Anyway, in spite of that, it’s actually not too bad. Totally coincidentally, they day after watching this on Netflix, I went digging through a bunch of boxes looking for a thing yesterday and found that I actually own this movie on DVD. No idea why I had never watched it before.

Comment

I watched Triangle on Prime and really enjoyed it.

It was a recommendation to me on Twitter and knew nothing about it.

Its marketed as a slasher, with people on a boat getting picked off, but it's so much more, it's a really clever little puzzle that drips more information as it evolves.

Please see it as it's definitely worth watching, but not if you're expecting a Friday 13th clone, it's so much more.

Comment

If it helps, Melissa George spends a lot of the film in short shorts and a vest.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    Joker. Waste of a trip out.
                    That bad?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      Joker

Astounding.

I left the cinema wanting to sneak back in to see it again.
                      That good?

Comment

Triangle is perfect. The scene with the big pile of you know whats is amazing.

Currently watching Detective Pikachu

Comment

Night train to Terror. Jesus this is a nearly incomprehensible 80s horror anthology, however does feature a few funny scenes and ace stop motion FX scenes worth tuning in for.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Also watched In A Lonely Place. Humphrey Bogart as I've never seen him ... complex and dark ... and dark is what the film is. Sending you one way then pulling the rug this way and that. To it's credit the film never cops out with the bleakness. It's very good but not one I'll revisit.
                            Ah, interesting. I just picked this one up in Fopp's 2 for £20 Criterion sale (along with Tootsie). I'd never heard of it before. I ended up giving it to my Dad though, as I saw him the same day, and he's a big Bogart fan but hadn't seen it either. Will be watching it with him at some point - I'm very intrigued by it.

I stuck on Goon last night. I'd been looking forward to seeing this, as I'm a big fan of Pineapple Express and, to a slightly lesser extent, Superbad. It's pretty disappointing though. I put it on late and got really sleepy so turned it off at about the one hour mark.

There's just absolutely nothing to hang your hat on as a viewer. Sean William Scott's main character is insanely one dimensional, the manic pixie dream girl love interest is likewise, and Jay Baruchel's character is obviously intended to be charmingly obnoxious, but ends up just obnoxious.

There are very few actual jokes, and storyline doesn't make much sense either. He breezes into his first job as a professional hockey player when he isn't even able to skate.

It just didn't work for me. I'll likely watch the last half an hour at some point, but even as a fan of bad comedy films (I've seen Jack and Jill twice) this is disappointing.
                            Last edited by wakka; 20-10-2019, 18:07.

Comment

Is Eden Lake really 'orrible, or worth a watch?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Is Eden Lake really 'orrible, or worth a watch?
                                Yes to both.

Comment

Working...
                                X