No announcement yet.

Avengers: Endgame (spoilers thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this again today. In 4D, which was booked by mistake. I have no understanding of why people would watch a movie that way. It's like going to see a film with a bunch of toddlers hanging out of you just poking and prodding and spitting on you.

Anyway, I think the film is still brilliant. Some observations from my second viewing:

Time Travel - time travel is REALLY clear. Even clearer than I remembered it. Even Thanos knows instantly that his time is not the same as the time the Avengers are from. All separate timelines. Muddied by one line right at the very end which mentions pruning the branches. And so I wonder if that line threw a lot of people because the implications of it did seem to contradict just about everything we hear about time travel up to that point. Nevertheless, the picture Banner and the Ancient One gives us is really clear.

Bucky - It couldn't be clearer that Bucky knew exactly what Steve was planning. Him going on a time adventure was premeditated. Seems like Bucky didn't know to expect Steve on the bench but knew who he was pretty much right away.

Thor - Going to go out on a limb here and say that Thor is easily the best character in the movie. He has by far the most depth and is a very touching exploration in grief and dealing with trauma. People seem to have seen it as a joke because he has a load of humour but the depiction of what he is going through is pretty raw and I think Hemsworth plays it absolutely brilliantly. There are two very throwaway lines that could be taken as making fun of his weight but also work in context. And they don't undo it magically. He doesn't just get better, happier or suddenly in shape. They stay true to what they have set up and don't give themselves an easy out and I think that's fantastic. Also Chris Hemsworth is a brilliant comedy actor. One of the best I've seen in years.

Visuals - One thing that struck me this time around is that there are no pretty visuals. Nothing really looks amazing. It's all very competent and the effects are very strong but no real visual flair. Compared with Guardians or Ragnarok, it actually loses a bit of spectacle because it's kind of dark and grungy and we don't really get to admire any of the locations.

Anyway, yeah, it's a really strong movie. And they'll have a very hard time repeating it and I don't think they should try. You can't one-up this one without letting things settle and get smaller first.

Comment

I definitely need to watch this film again. There is a lot going on I feel passed me by. Its got some awesome parts, I liked it when Ant-man casually punched a leviathan out of the sky.
      My only criticism, and this carries across all the marvel films, is the musical score. There isn't anything that stands out, its just kind of there. It doesn't ever reach the heights of Star Wars or LOTR.

Comment

I have never even noticed the music in this so you're probably not wrong. Ragnarok had a pretty unique score. Captain Marvel had awesome synths but only in the space stuff - it went just generic in the Earth stuff. Black Panther is also a stand out and very unique and powerful in places. Ant-Man has a recognisable theme... and I'm done. Not a great list considering the amount of movies we're talking about.

Comment

Captain America - Pretty much the only MCU character theme I know

Comment

Comment

Question:

In Dr Strange, The Ancient One can't see passed the moment she dies. How is it that Strange can see what happens after he is dusted in the snap?

Comment

That is a very good question! I had forgotten that but it answers a question I had which is how she knew about Strange but not what he does later. Although I think the implication is that his power will outstrip hers, which is why he’s the superhero and not her. Maybe they were never truly dead though, hence why they could be brought back but not others which is kind of just waved away in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  That is a very good question! I had forgotten that but it answers a question I had which is how she knew about Strange but not what he does later. Although I think the implication is that his power will outstrip hers, which is why he’s the superhero and not her. Maybe they were never truly dead though, hence why they could be brought back but not others which is kind of just waved away in the movie.
                  I assume Strange sees up to his death, in millions of ways - but then sees one way where he comes out alive at the end.

Comment

Thinking about it, him coming back alive still doesn’t mean they won because Thanos could have got that glove again so he still could have seen a whole load of possibilities where he comes back and they still lose. So I guess in that case, he knows that Stark needs to make it to that point alive in order for them to win.

Comment

Working...
                    X