No announcement yet.

Canon-Strike IV: X-Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it’s a tough watch and not one I’ll reach for on a Saturday night.

Comment

Movie 10 - X-Men: Dark Phoenix
      We move the 90's with the cast having aged barely a day and the seventh and final X-Men mainline film took the option of retelling the arc from X-Men 3 again. The film aimed to take advantage of The Last Stands reputation but ultimately made an even poorer recieved landing with critics tearing it apart and it bringing the franchise to its knees. It had been aimed that this film would launch a trilogy of films tying with the New Mutants film but any crossing elements were stripped out of both films as soon as Disney bought up Fox and immediately brought the franchise to an end.

Was Dark Phoenix as bad as its reception gave it and had Fox not been bought out had this film killed the XCU?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        Was Dark Phoenix as bad as its reception gave it and had Fox not been bought out had this film killed the XCU?
        I remember liking it more than Apocalypse but then that's not really a compliment.

And yeah, it was way past the point where I actively didn't want there to be any more movies in this franchise. I only saw this on Netflix or Disney+ or something.

Comment

For me it was worse than Apocalypse, not just badly made but also focused on all the weakest elements of the prior films. I'm amazed it didn't retroactively fix Last Stands reputation too as with that film I felt it was weaker than the prior two films but a reasonable impression of Singer's style and not as bad as people have it. Dark Phoenix was like a remake that showed how much worse it could have been. It's hard to imagine how Fox could have clawed back interest in another entry

Comment

Movie 11 - The New Mutants
            Having languished in the Fox vaults for a very long time due to endless issues with the production the final addition to the XCU eventually made its way to viewers. A small group of teenage mutants are living in a facility manned by a single woman who says she is there to help them. It had been aimed to expand the audience for the franchise with a lower budget horror styled entry that would eventually tie in to the mainline series but any elements of that plan were scrapped during reshoots and this left a disconnected, shallow teen film in its wake, one that would go on to be the biggest box office misfire in the franchise and its final entry.

Had Disney not bought out Fox would New Mutants have still buried the X-Men series?
            In the end, does the X-Men Cinematic Universe hold up overall?

Comment

The film had no connections to the other XCU films so in terms of canon it added nothing but by god was it another dud to a franchise already wading in **** at this point.

Comment

Working...
              X