No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After everything that both teams went through in their respective semis you'd have thought this would have been an epic final.

What a crock of boring ****.

And the wrong team won.

Comment

I turned it off before half time and watched some dvds instead. The two finals have both been awful, none events.

Comment

Unlucky guys.

Poor display from both teams. Cagey. Liverpool doing a play **** and win like they've done all season. Divock Origi.

Comment

As Jenas said on commentary, a “what if” final for Spurs. Liverpool were way off their best but in the vital moments they put their chances away, so fair play to them and congrats on winning number six.

I wish we’d done better on the night and could have had a final without any regrets, but sometimes that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

The team pulled out all the stops to get to the final at all and gave us some amazing moments along the way, I’ve got nothing but love for the team and the effort they’ve put in this season. The final was one step too far unfortunately but I’m proud of all of them and proud to be a Spurs fan.

Comment

Quotes from Eriksen in Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet (reported by the BBC):

Eriksen, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid, has one year left on his deal with the Premier League club and is yet to commit to a new one.

However, the Denmark international has not ruled out a contract extension, saying it "depends on the conditions".

"If I have to go, then hopefully it will be a step up," said Eriksen, 27.

Speaking to Danish magazine Ekstra Bladet, he added: "I hope there will be a clarification during the summer. That's the plan.

"I feel that I am a place in my career where I might want to try something new.

"I have the wildest and deepest respect for everything that has happened in Tottenham.

"But in football you do not know when clarification comes. It can happen any time."

In April, Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said Eriksen was "open" to a contract extension.

"Everyone wants it as soon as possible, but in football things take time. It depends on [Spurs chairman] Daniel Levy," Eriksen added.

"And another club has to come in, or I have to sit down at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can't set a date yourself.

"There are not many points that Tottenham cannot meet. It is hard. It depends on the possibilities.

"If nothing pops up that is more exciting, then why not stay in Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract, it depends on the conditions."

It looks like he'll want to leave if a decent bid comes in from someone like Barca / Real Madrid. Not unexpected as there have been rumblings all season that he's a target for Real Madrid, and with next season being the final year of his contract I expect we'd rather sell than wait a year for him to leave on a free.

Though Madrid have already spent a lot of money AND are heavily linked with a big move for Hazard. If they pull off the Hazard move would they want Eriksen as well? With the amounts they're spending they'll also have to sell a few players to meet FFP, so they might not have the financial wiggle room for a bid even if they did want him.

So, not a foregone conclusion that he leaves (especially with his comments about negotiating a new contract if he didn't leave) but it's probably more likely than not that he isn't here next season. He's been at the club for six seasons, been one of our best players, so I have no ill will toward him and wish him well if he leaves for a "mega club" like Real Madrid.

Of course, the crucial thing if he goes, is the quality of the replacement(s). Liverpool showed with the way they spent the Couthino money that, if you get your recruitment right, you can still push the club forwards and improve even after the sale of a big name player.

There's no reason why we can't still really try to push the club towards the next level, even if a player like Eriksen does leave. Which would fit Poch's quotes of a few weeks ago where he said he expects "a big summer that might also involve a bit of pain".

If nothing else, it's going to be an interesting couple of months

Edit: I replaced the quotes from the first article I found with the quotes from the BBC article about it, as they had more detail and quotes that weren't in the other article.

Interesting that the quotes are slightly different, depending on where you read them. The article I found originally says that he'd "like" to try something new, the BBC article says that he "might" want to try something new. Subtle difference, though it's often not an exact science when you translate from a foreign language.

The other article also played more heavily on him wanting something new, and left out the quotes at the end where he spoke more about the possibility of extending his Spurs contract.
            Last edited by EJG1980; 05-06-2019, 11:42.

Comment

I've had this feeling for a long time that CE had his eye on a move and it was not just all negotiating positioning for a new contract. I think he sees himself becoming a replacement Luka Modric at Real Madrid (he's almost six years younger).

The dilemma of having to make that decision whilst wanting to remain loyal to Spurs, the club who've made him a valuable player, has affected his game. He has been very lack lustre all season and the CL Final performance was unfortunately another example.

Whether that will have dented Real Madrid's interest remains to be seen but in his present form and with the players we have to replace him it would not be as big a loss to the squad as it might have been a couple of years ago.

Comment

Yeah, he still has great stats for key passes and assists, but he's been much more average outside of those great moments, whereas at his peak he'd give you those great individual moments AND be the one who was dictating the match as a whole.

We probably won't get someone in who's instantly as good as peak Eriksen (though you never know) but unless we're unlucky and sign someone who just doesn't settle, we should be able to get a very capable replacement. And, of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be a direct Eriksen replacement, we could always spend the money in slightly different position(s) and tweak the way we play.

I'd be delighted if he did stay and sign a new contract though, as if he has renewed focus and gets back to his best then there are few in the league who are better than he is.

Edit: nice detailed article here about the latter option, possibly replacing Eriksen with two players we’ve been heavily linked with, Ndombele and Lo Selso.

Christian Eriksen could still depart in the summer transfer window, but Lo Celso's arrival has ensured that Spurs are ready his departure
                Last edited by EJG1980; 05-06-2019, 19:07.

Comment

RIP Justin Edinburgh - Jesus, 49 is far too young.

Late to the Eriksen discussion, but we need to sell him this summer if he won’t sign a new deal and get a decent amount to reinvest. As for him going, he’s been instrumental in our progression, has given us six years of service and now has the chance of a salary trebling move to one of the two biggest clubs in the world. Who can blame him for wanting to take that chance. We’ll miss him, but I’d get a good fee for him and spend it wisely, he isn’t irreplaceable.

Comment

Still don’t know how to process the news of Justin Edinburgh’s passing, tbh.

I live minutes away from Brisbane Road and, despite my support of Liverpool, have always watched out for Leyton Orient’s results.

Justin came into the club when the O’s were on the floor after Francesco Becchetti’s awful tenure as owner had seen the club firmly relegated to non-league. Justin pretty much united the whole club from top to bottom and was undoubtedly the catalyst for their promotion to the EFL League Two.

To say he’ll be missed is a massive understatement. The tributes being paid to him by so many all across the football world tell you all you need to know about the esteem and regard in which he was held.

Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.

RIP.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 09-06-2019, 07:35.

Comment

I saw the news a couple of days ago that he'd been taken into hospital feeling ill, hoped he'd get better and then didn't really think much more of it. I couldn't believe when I saw the headline pop up that he'd died.

He seemed to be making a good career for himself in the lower leagues, especially his latest stint with Orient (which I took a bit more notice of as they were my Mum's team) and I was hoping he'd eventually work his way up to the upper levels of the game. 49 years old, such terrible news.

Comment

Yes, sad news indeed. He was at Spurs for ten years so I remember him well, particularly as he was part of the Spurs 90/91 FA Cup winning team.

Comment

Blimey, fixtures for next season out already, the last one feels barely finished thanks to the late date for the CL final.

Fairly tough start, an up for it newly promoted Villa at home on the opening day, and Man City and Arsenal away before the end of August!

September - November is pretty good, Liverpool away in October the main big match, and after that our big matches are fairly nicely spread out: Man Utd and Chelsea about three weeks apart in December, and then one "big six" opponent per month from January to April. No clusters this year with two or three big opponents in a row (though that may change with Europe / Cup matches thrown into the mix).

Now to plan some away trips, realise that I can't buy the cheap advance train tickets until Sky and BT confirm what matches they're moving for TV, and eventually end up having to buy the full price train tickets or give up and not go

Comment

No, this is not some kind of fever dream, Spurs have actually signed a new player! 18 year old Jack Clarke from Leeds United. Plays as a winger on either side and occasionally as a striker.

One for the future as he's going straight back to Leeds on loan for the upcoming season (yes, even our first signing in 18 months isn't going to play for us for a year ) but he's probably not ready for the Premier League yet; had a good season last year and won Leeds' young player of the year award but his form tailed off at the end, from what I've read.

Another year being educated by Poch's mentor Bielsa should be the perfect preparation for him.

Other titbits -

AS in Spain claim we've agreed a deal with Real Madrid for the loan of Dani Ceballos.

From Sky Sports News:

"Tanguy Ndombele has arrived at Tottenham’s training ground ahead of a club-record £65m transfer from Lyon.

Ndombele will sign a five-year deal with an option for a sixth year, with the deal expected to be concluded later today.

His medical began at 9am this morning at a north London hospital – and he arrived at Spurs’ Enfield training base in the last hour."
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 02-07-2019, 10:48.

Comment

I read about that Jack Clarke deal and was a bit surprised that once bought he was going to be lent back to Leeds immediately. Unusual.

Lots of rumours about who may be going and who Spurs are interested in buying - Christian Eriksen at the top of the list of possible sells of course but nothing concrete apart from the fact he has not signed a new contract and his current one runs out in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                                I read about that Jack Clarke deal and was a bit surprised that once bought he was going to be lent back to Leeds immediately. Unusual.
                                I think it's a good compromise solution for a player who you think is likely to be very good, but you don't think is quite ready for the Premier League yet. If we'd waited until next summer to try and buy him, and he'd had another good season with Leeds, his price would have shot up and there would likely be a lot more competition for his signature from other big clubs.

So it's a riskier transfer as he's less proven than if we'd waited another year (and we're stuck with him if he has a poor second season with Leeds) but if he does turn out to be as good as we think he can be then we'll have picked up a bargain. The fact that he'll be coached by Bielsa probably for another year probably helps too, we know he'll be being coached in a style that Poch approves of.

Comment

Working...
                                X