Retro Arena: CPS 1, 2, or 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Arena: CPS 1, 2, or 3?

Which version of Capcom Play System do you like the most?

You forgot CPS-1.5.

CPS-1 for me though. Final Fight, GnG, Area ‘88, Hyper Fighting etc.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Would agree with [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] - CPS-1 is probably the pick of the bunch from a nostalgic perspective and redefining coin-op genres like scrolling and 1v1 beat-em-ups with the obvious iconic standouts like Final Fight and Street Fighter 2.

That said, CPS-Dash is significant in that it gave us a taste of things to come with The Punisher - Capcom’s very first title in what turned out to be a hugely successful collaboration with Marvel using CPS-2 tech.

The arcade scene of the 1990s was pretty much done and dusted by the time CPS-3 rolled into town, hence why only six titles (three of them being SF3 and two of them being JoJo games) were made in three years before Capcom ditched CPS tech entirely in favour of Sega NAOMI. Although, I would like to see WarZard/Red Earth ported for home consoles.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 29-04-2019, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Although, I would like to see WarZard/Red Earth ported for home consoles.
        Same, although I have a sneaking suspicion that it would end up like Sonic CD in that I really wanted to play it and built it up in my head but then played it and it wasn't all that great. Still, a shame that we haven't had the opportunity to play it at home.

Anyway, most of my fighting favourites are CPS-2 so I guess that gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          You forgot CPS-1.5.
          Well, I'd put it in the same category as the standard CPS-1. I didn't want to be pedantic and give Dash/1,5 its own category.

CPS-Dash/1.5 games:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
          Muscle Bomber Duo: Ultimate Team Battle
          The Punisher
          Saturday Night Slam Masters
          Warriors of Fate

Some Dash games run on a standard CPS-1 board, but at a slower speed. The CPS-1 design did evolve a bit over its life, culminating in the Dash/1.5.

I'd also choose CPS-1. I really like the overall range of games available. But I could maybe change my mind and choose CPS-2, as it has a few games I really like.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          Although, I would like to see WarZard/Red Earth ported for home consoles.
          I wish it had been ported to the Saturn or Dreamcast. I think it's a great looking game that's fun to play.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-04-2019, 11:03.

Comment

CPS1 for me given it hosted Strider, Ghost N Ghouls, Final Fight and Street Fighter II': Champion Edition. I would have loved to see what the spec of CPS4 was like, which Capcom told SEGA Saturn mag was finished, but never brought to market too.

Some Dash games run on a standard CPS-1 board, but at a slower speed. The CPS-1 design did evolve a bit over its life, culminating in the Dash/1.5.
            No different from Model 2 or Model 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              I would have loved to see what the spec of CPS4 was like, which Capcom told SEGA Saturn mag was finished, but never brought to market too.
              I guess it might have been similar to the Saturn but with far more RAM.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              No different from Model 2 or Model 3.
              Yeah, Model 2 evolved but you wouldn't list every variation in a topic like this -- it would just be Model 1, 2, or 3.

I'll probably do that next.

Comment

Third Strike has become my favourite video game ever, so I'll have to say CPS3. This isn't NG though, just a Darksoft donor cart.

ST would be a nice one to own too. Can't really lose with CPS, unless you hate SF3.
                Last edited by speedlolita; 29-04-2019, 12:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Same, although I have a sneaking suspicion that it would end up like Sonic CD in that I really wanted to play it and built it up in my head but then played it and it wasn't all that great.
                  This was me and Sonic the Fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

Third Strike has become my favourite video game ever, so I'll have to say CPS3.
                    A lot of people love Third Strike. I quite liked the Dreamcast version back in the day. I definitely appreciate the animation and characters.

I remember really liking 'Q' when I first got into the game.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    This was me and Sonic the Fighters.
                    Red Earth is much better than Sonic the Fighters. It may not be anywhere near as refined and brilliant as Third Strike, but it's at least a great looking game with enjoyable action.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-04-2019, 14:22.

Comment

Third Strike is pretty much my favourite game of all time too, but I can't say CPS3 just because of the library size and total lack of diversity. I completely respect CPS1 as a choice for its significance and relevance, but if I was forced I'd have to go CPS2. I'm such a sucker for those big beautiful green boards, too.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        I completely respect CPS1 as a choice for its significance and relevance, but if I was forced I'd have to go CPS2.
                        Looking at the list of games for each system, it's a close call between the CPS-1 and CPS-2. There are roughly the same amount of games that I really like for each. I think it comes down to having a soft spot for what the CPS-1 delivered.

Comment

I have to say CPS-3 because it brought us Third Strike. Another fan here of the greatest fighter and one of the greatest games of all time.

Comment

I think the games are evenly matched on both cps1 & 2 but for true classics and nostalgia it's gotta be cps1.

SF2
                            SF2CE
                            Forgotten Worlds
                            Aera 88
                            Ghouls n Ghosts
                            Strider
                            Final Fight

Cps 3 has never really done it for me

Comment

Originally posted by trev1976 View Post
                              I think the games are evenly matched on both cps1 & 2 but for true classics and nostalgia it's gotta be cps1.
                              My favourites for each:

CPS-1

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs[Dash/1.5]
                              Captain Commando
                              Fina Fight
                              Ghouls 'n Ghosts
                              Magic Sword
                              Mega Twins
                              Street Fighter 2
                              Strider
                              The Punisher[Dash/1.5]
                              Three Wonders
                              U.N. Squadron
                              Willow

CPS-2

Alien vs Predator
                              Armored Warriors
                              Battle Circuit
                              Cyberbots
                              Darkstalkers
                              Dimahoo
                              Dungeons & Dragons
                              Eco Fighters
                              Progear
                              Street Fighter Alpha 2 & 3
                              Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
                              Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
                              X-Men Children of the Atom

It's definitely tough to choose a favourite, but there's something a bit more attractive about the CPS-1 collection of games that appeals to me. I like the overall variety of games for the CPS-1. Of course, there's also an element of nostalgia playing a part.

But I could easily choose CPS-2 and be happy. Capcom delivered loads of great games that manage to stand the test of time really well.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-05-2019, 13:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X