Bubble Bobble 1986
    720 - 1986
    Rastan - 1987
    Shinobi - 1987
    Double Dragon - 1987
    Contra - 1987
    Rainbow Islands - 1987
    Operation Wolf - 1987

Here we have even more arcade classics. This time, choose 5 games.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-01-2019, 17:28.

Wow, this is the toughest yet, Leon!
    There are some great games there.

When you say "pick five", in what context?
    Or are we making our own reason for choosing?

Although instead of game x you should have listed game y.

Comment

-Outrun
      -Bubble Bobble
      -Space Harrier
      -Ghosts N Goblins

Are my immediate four choices, they stand out from the line up like they have neon flashing lights around them, classics all round. After that, and I don't even think that much of it, I find myself drawn to Operation Wolf but I think it's a nostalgia thing... that game used to be such a staple of arcades

Comment

Outrun - The best driving game and the best Arcade game ever made

Wonderboy - Loved this in the Arcades and on the Master system

Track and Field - I still love to play this with my mate Via Mame on the OG XBox. The gameplay and controls are perfect and I still love the speech (which really was a standout feature back inthe day)

Comment

Shinobi
          Double Dragon
          Kung Fu Master
          Out Run

Then it gets more difficult - those are the ones I really enjoy. Many of the others are games I quite enjoy. Perhaps Hang On is my best of the rest,

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Wow, this is the toughest yet, Leon!
            Yeah, a huge variety of classics to choose from. I kept thinking of more and more as I compiled the list. I could have gone really crazy with it but I had to stop it from becoming ridiculous.

My favourites are:

Bomb Jack(I find it really charming and addictive.)
            Commando
            (It's still a joy to play through.)
            Space Harrier
            (Despite feeling repetItive, I love the music and colourful visuals.)
            OutRun
            (I still love the graphics and music. It's such an uplifting racer.)
            Rainbow Islands
            (I really like how it plays -- and the graphics are brilliantly cutesy.)

Honourable mentions must go to Gauntlet, Rygar, Bubble Bobble and Contra. All games that I have played a lot over the years.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            When you say "pick five", in what context?
            Any context. The reasoning behind the choices are a personal thing. It can be because you think a game is still really playable, or simply for nostalgia reasons. Anything goes.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            -Outrun
            -Bubble Bobble
            -Space Harrier
            -Ghosts N Goblins

Are my immediate four choices, they stand out from the line up like they have neon flashing lights around them,
            Yeah, all of them shone brightly back in the day. Rainbow Islands pips Bubble Bobble for me, but I do enjoy back to it.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Outrun - The best driving game and the best Arcade game ever made
            I'd love a top quality OutRun 3. Sega could really do something special with modern tech.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Track and Field - I still love to play this with my mate Via Mame on the OG XBox. The gameplay and controls are perfect and I still love the speech (which really was a standout feature back inthe day)
            Yeah, the speech really stood out back then. I think the graphics being so abstract make it stand the test of time pretty well. I wouldn't mind owning the coin-op, as it's such a cool machine.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
            Shinobi
            Double Dragon
            Kung Fu Master
            All classic games that inspired gamers and developers alike. I'd choose Shinobi, as I still like playing through it.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-01-2019, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Yeah, the speech really stood out back then. I think the graphics being so abstract make it stand the test of time pretty well. I wouldn't mind owning the coin-op, as it's such a cool machine.
              We used to have the coin up in my schools Youth Club centre. Such a brilliant playable game to this very day. And like I said to this very day me and my mate still love to play it via Mame having a few drinks. Konami used to be so awesome in the Arcades

Comment

Picking 5 from a list of the best arcade games in every genre
                If we have to, then it's just going to be the ones I played the most.

Shinobi
                Gauntlet
                Wonderboy
                Rastan
                Double Dragon

Edit: Ha, just noticed all the ones I picked I had for the SMS too.
                Last edited by Solar; 14-01-2019, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                  Edit: Ha, just noticed all the ones I picked I had for the SMS too.
                  As I compiled the list, I kept thinking "Master System, Master System, Master System!"

Comment

I’d pick Outrun instantly, one of my all time favourites.

Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Gradius are a clear next three for me.

Chosing a fifth is a bit trickier, but for variety, I’d go with Kung Fu Master. I’ve never really been into beat em ups, but I really like this one.

Wonderboy and Ghosts n Goblins just miss out.

And anyone salivating at this list really ought to visit Arcade Club
                    Last edited by ZipZap; 14-01-2019, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      I’d pick Outrun instantly, one of my all time favourites.

It's also an easy pick for me -- such a great game.

Wonderboy and Ghosts n Goblins just miss out.

I think all the games on the list are at least reasonably good, so still worth playing today. I definitely have a soft spot for Wonder Boy and GnG.

And anyone salivating at this list really ought to visit Arcade Club
                      Yeah, they need to played on an arcade cab. The arcade stick and CRT do the games justice.

Comment

Track & Field
                        Paperboy

Those are the only three I played as arcade machines, by 1982 I was 18 and interested in other things - pubs, nightclubs and girls and only got to play them there.

Used to play T&F with my workmates in the pub after work, skeet shoot was ace. Then it was out as Daley Thomson's Decathlon on the C64 so I could play at home before going out to the pub, even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          Then it was out as Daley Thomson's Decathlon on the C64 so I could play at home before going out to the pub, even better.
                          I remember really liking Daley Thompson's Supertest, but I think I broke a joystick playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            I remember really liking Daley Thompson's Supertest, but I think I broke a joystick playing it.
                            I don't think you were the only one, it was known as a joystick breaker particularly the Quickshot's, Competition Pro's were much sturdier.

Comment

No particular order but 5 clear choices for me, strange really as all the games are great.

Outrun
                              Gauntlet
                              Shinobi
                              Rainbow Islands
                              Bubble Bobble

Comment

Working...
                              X