Canon-Strike VI: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Yep, you’re right, QC. That conflict works but we’ve seen a lot of it (Guardians too) and it might contribute to the weaker villains we see in many Marvel movies. It would be nice to see a team at their best.
    I really enjoyed the comics run after the Civil War storyline for The Mighty Avengers.
    Tony Stark took control and tried to pull a team together and it was interesting to see them learning to work and live together whilst they took on various challenges like Ultron and the "Venombomb".
    This lead to the Secret Wars arc and then the Dark Avengers section, which saw Osborne take over and bring in some of his reformed bad guys from the Thunderbolts, posing as some of the iconic Avengers (Hercules for Thor, Venom for Spider-Man, Daken for Wolverine, Bullseye as Hawkeye ans so on).
    If Stark had it tough, imagine wrangling these psychos into a working team!
    I also really enjoyed the character of The Sentry, who is a serious badass, regularly tearing established characters in half and was able to fight the Hulk to a standstill in the World War Hulk story.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I feel like the Russos had a very clear vision for Winter Soldier and I think a strength of the Marvel movies is that they can accommodate a more serious movie like this and also the likes of Thor Ragnarok and not totally break the universe. I feel Infinity War did a great job at pulling these separate tones together, which can’t have been easy.
    That shift of tone when TGotG rescue Thor is really well-handled. The joviality and the English voice is funny until Thor starts remembering everything that he's lost.

Comment

It's nice that they use that to readjust Thor as well given how massively out of place the tone of Ragnarok is, Infinity War manages to contextualise that films tone in a single line whereas Ragnarok never addresses how out of place its tone is. Impressive given everything else IW has to cope with.

Guardians is a tour de force within the MCU, it's also helped by Marvel letting Gunn just run with it, never bowing to the wider tone of the universe. It often gets dismissed as though it's a weakness but the other strength it brings to the MCU is its heart. Before GOTG I'd say only Captain America: First Avenger tries to illicit an emotional response properly from viewers towards its lead character and Guardians goes unabashedly in for it. Without that it would later make Infinity War much less effective as it wouldn't have anywhere near as much emotional weight for its character demises.

Comment

Plus, we should all be thankful to Starlord, because if it wasn't for him and his actions, we wouldn't have Endgame to look forward to!

Comment

I feel that Guardians got so much right and a lot of the MCU fell into place with that one. It totally sold us on more outlandish concepts, it had a lot of heart and, for the most part, it's what makes the Infinity War journey work. As I've said in other threads, I feel that story is more a Guardians story than an Avengers one - only Guardians characters were aware of him and have a personal connection with him and he was involved in their story right from the start.

Guardians also brought even more comedy which then led to Thor Ragnarok, which is almost a straight up comedy.

And it achieved something else that seemed tricky - it nailed a team dynamic in a single movie. That's something X-Men failed to do. It's something that it looked like the Avengers needed a bunch of setup movies to do. But Guardians got it in one.

So it's a movie that achieved a whole bunch of things and did so really well. And it's just really entertaining.

Comment

Ragnarok is without doubt the craziest Marvel film to date. My wife and I looked at each other midway through like 'This film is completely nuts!'
            I did really enjoy it. Its got some comedy moments, like Thor screaming through that tunnel of light.

Comment

I liked Ragnarok more on the second attempt but it still grates with me overall. It's too at odds with the characters (as shown by how quickly IW dropped it) and the tone of the film makes it feel like Thor and the franchise has a massive identity crisis at the worst possible time. On one hand it's a refreshing tonic to Dark World but on the other the light, hokey space tone is completely at odds with the events the film is trying to convey and it sells them short at every turn. Personally I hope Thor gets a fourth film to tighten this approach up.

Comment

On the one hand, Ragnarok felt like a parody and was so at odds with the previous Thor film. On the other, I personally feel Thor was pretty much dead in the water after his second film and Ragnarok rescued the character and added something fun and different to the Marvel slate.

Comment

Movie 11 - Avengers: Age of Ultron
                  The penultimate Phase 2 movie was the second Avengers team up with them creating their own threat this time. Starks pursuit of technology, in an attempt to give the home field an advantage should the space threats he witnessed in the previous Avengers film come back, creates the set up for this entry that also would go on to fuel the events of Civil War. It's the least talked about of the three existing Avengers movies.

What is the second Avengers role in the MCU?

Comment

That opening sequence is one of the few times they actually planned something.
                    The other is in Civil War and because some buildings got damaged (even though lives were saved), they decided to create the herop register (well that escalated quickly.gif).

Just picked up the Ultron 3D Blu-Ray and plan to see it at the weekend.

On Ragnarok, I love it. So much fun and such an improvement on the first two Thor films.

However, it irks me how often The God of Thunder gets electrocuted:

Comment

We talked about Ultron just a few days ago in the other Marvel thread but I have rewatched that very recently because my eldest hadn't seen it and she is gearing up for the next movie. The movie frustrates me. It has good parts but, overall, I find it really messy. So many separate bits and stuff that doesn't feel like it makes all that much sense, especially when it comes to Stark's actions, which we have well covered. It bugs me that he causes this entire thing and then does the exact same thing again later in the movie and that makes it much harder for me to buy his position in Civil War - he never really takes responsibility for what he did in Age of Ultron. And there are other things like the weird stuff with Black Widow and so on. It's just a messy movie.

Comment

We won't go round again, but yeah, Marvel don't really know what to do with Stark.
                        He feels more like a narrative device than a character these days.
                        "How can we make the Avengers fall out? Stark."
                        "Who can build a world-threatening AI to fight? Stark."
                        "Who can make Spider-Man learn to use his powers? Stark."

I wish they'd start progressing the character again, but I'm guessing one way or another, we won't be seeing him again after Endgame...

Tying in with what I said about the grounded action scenes of Cap 2: Winter Soldier, I remember the sight of a whole floating city in Ultron, but CGI can tend to be so unimpressive. It followed closely behind John Wick and personally, I find a well-choreographed action scene so much more of a thrill than some ones and zeros.

I do like Ultron and the whole Pinocchio thing was reasonably chilling too.
                        That sequence at the end where the camera is panning around the team fighting together is one of the most badass sights in any of the Marvel films, IMHO.

Comment

Yep, it has good sequences and I really like that, in spite of what is then implied in Civil War, we always see them doing everything they can to protect civilians and that in itself presents huge challenges.

Comment

How the hell have I missed this thread?

Bollocks. Trust me to rock up halfway. So many opportunities missed to add absolutely nothing to the discussion!

Comment

Feel free to add nothing now! No problem to revisit movies already listed.

Comment

Movie 12 - Ant Man
                                Closing out Phase 2 with a pretty low key number, Ant Man saw the long gestating project finally make it to screen. Ant Man has since mingled a little with the other heroes though it's arguable he's something of a side dish to the other heroes as so far he's yet to play too essential a role in the overall arc of the MCU.

Does Ant-Man play a larger role in the MCU?

Comment

Working...
                                X