No announcement yet.

Little Things That Puzzle You 2: Twisted Membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine on PSN has over twelve hundred friends. Twelve hundred friends. Twelve... hundred... friends.... I start deleting my friends once I approach one hundred. But twelve hundred. How ridiculous. I reckon it's because she has a sexy French accent. I've a good mind to delete her for having so many friends. I don't feel special when I'm one of twelve hundred.

Comment

I’ve never had more than ten friends on PSN.

Comment

The album Tusk. What were Fleetwood Mac thinking? To go from a masterpiece like Rumours to Tusk is just puzzling. Some claim Rumours was too successful, that it led to too much money and subsequent cocaine abuse but that's not an excuse.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I’ve never had more than ten friends on PSN.
        Ten's enough.

Comment

Taking life seriously. When did that insanity become the common approach?

Comment

Going to guess it likely goes way back to when life and survival was a constant struggle, so for many people, like, always. Feels like most of us take life a lot less serious now... at least those of us who can afford to do so, with our big explosiony superhero movies, cool games and being able to diss albums like Tusk* because hearing good music is now commonplace rather than a luxury. Anyway...

*Confession: I have never listened to Tusk.

Comment

Scientists took 500,000 songs dating 1955 to 2010 from various genres and meticulously analysed them using a set of complex algorithms measuring things like harmonic complexity, timbral diversity, loudness and lyrical intelligence and discovered that qualities like originality, diversity, tonal richness, depth of sound and song writing have all been steadily in decline. They really needed to go through all that to discover that music is getting worse? Anyone with ears knows that.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Going to guess it likely goes way back to when life and survival was a constant struggle, so for many people, like, always. Feels like most of us take life a lot less serious now... at least those of us who can afford to do so, with our big explosiony superhero movies, cool games and being able to diss albums like Tusk* because hearing good music is now commonplace rather than a luxury. Anyway...
              I don't believe folk take life less seriously now. They have it easier, certainly, but the frequency of whining, self pitying, angry outburts, judgmentalism and moral posturing suggests they still take life very seriously indeed, that they have fixed ideas that they expect the universe and everyone in it to adhere to.

Comment

That’s very judgmental. Judgey McJudgerson.

Comment

More of an observation.

Comment

That's a handy distinction! Will file that one away for future use.

Comment

Haha. It's true though. There's a difference between seeing something and leaving it there and seeing something and then making a judgment. One is a seeing that stops there, the other adds thinking to the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                        Haha. It's true though. There's a difference between seeing something and leaving it there and seeing something and then making a judgment. One is a seeing that stops there, the other adds thinking to the process.
                        Sorry, I'm having a go at you today. I don't mean it in a malicious way. It's more that I know you're a thinker and on a journey but maybe you're not as far along that road as you think you are. Judgement or observation, I don't know. Just trying to provoke some thought.

Comment

Maybe I don't even believe I'm that far along the road and on top of that, as you alluded to, I'm not as far as I think. Maybe I'm behind everyone! I only laugh cos it's an actual possibility.

Comment

First image of a black hole. Its 52 million light years away and 40 billion kilometers wide.

Comment

I think the image is a disappointment if I'm honest but that doesn't detract from the event. It's quite an achievement.

Mad things, black holes, they completely defy logic and rationality. Professor Stephen Hawking reckoned that, contrary to the common misconception, energy is able to escape black holes via a type of radiation - something called Hawking radiation - because of the laws of quantum mechanics. That suggests that black holes are not eternal. I wonder what happens at the point a black hole ceases to be a black hole, at that moment when it loses enough mass that the gravity can no longer keep all that matter condensed, what happens? Does it explode violently like a supernova, does it fling everything out in pretty patterns like a galactic catherine wheel, does it just slowly fade into nothing? It's an interesting thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                                I think the image is a disappointment if I'm honest but that doesn't detract from the event. It's quite an achievement.
                                It'd look incredible in 4K!

Comment

Working...
                                X