Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It at least reduces scummy scalpers and sticking them on eBay. Plus wouldn't the controller's be pointless if you don't subscribe?

Comment

I don't really get the comparison. I mean...

Say, Microsoft offered access to a service where you could play a range of original Xbox games in a Netflix style, on the Xbox One.

Then they sold a joypad, to members only, which could only work with that service, and didn't work with anything else - but you could still play those games on a regular Xbox One pad.

I'm not sure there would be "outrage"; I think it'd be more puzzlement than anything else. The comparison only seems to work because we're accustomed to Xbox controllers being USB and working with everything.

Because the pad only works for that service, and serves no other purpose, I don't see an issue with only offering it to those people. What are others going to do with it? Put it on a shelf? You could argue people might do homebrew but there are already so many options for decent wireless SNES controller-style pads that I'm not sure that holds water.

Comment

I don’t even think there would be outrage if Microsoft did that. I don’t think anyone would really be bothered.

Comment

The pads only work with the service? They can't be synced with other devices like a PC? Man, that feels like dead money right there if that's the case. Surely they're going to cost enough that anyone interested should just get a SNES mini or one of the handhelds second hand that play many of these games given how many devices exist that can play SNES games?

I assumed fans would be able to use these post Subscription (especially given Nintendo's track record for online services).

Comment

Can you play Mario Kart SNES online with a friend then?

Comment

Can’t say I’m too fussed with nes & SNES roms on switch since the minis were released. If I ever wanted to go portable I can use a mini monitor and a power bank to play outside, plus my minis have killer curated library’s of games so the switch would be sorely lacking. The new direct brought up a few interesting titles I was happy to see kotoba puzzle mojipittan appear as I adore that one and the last time it was released was on the wii. Was surprised to see youkai watch 1 get a switch update but I am totally burnt out on that series now.

Still there’s enough coming to keep me entertained

Comment

I think it's real nice. Many a time I will be in bed having an hour of switch time before sleep and I will turn to the retro library for a break and history lesson. Just because they're there. The SP editions have been fun too. Would be nice if they added a some hi-score boards for the games against your friends.

Comment

It's insane that you can't disable the pop-up that appear along the bottom of the screen. Had a go at Gradius earlier and I couldn't see my power-ups because the app wanted to me to try out the rewind feature.

Optimal setup would still be a hacked SNES Classic with the possibility for headphone use (TV's 3.5mm port is f*cked).

Can imagine the SNES games will play really well on the Switch Lite though, what with the normal D-pad and all.
                  Last edited by Nico87; 05-09-2019, 14:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Nintendo aren't Microsoft. Any lack of outrage is a sign of the goodwill they build and nurture. I mean, Nintendo gets away with a LOT that others simply wouldn't. I think we could all make a pretty long list of things Nintendo should do way better. But Nintendo build goodwill in other ways and still delivering the goods to people.

It's like if you have two incompetent people in a workplace but one of them is nice and easy to get along with. The nice person will likely still be bumbling around the job several years after the other person has long been fired. Nintendo make themselves easy to like and they put effort into that. That's not a bad thing.
                    Your analogy is rubbish. Rubbish. Why do they deserve such goodwill?

It's like that first co-worker was a bit rude in the first month, but for the last five years has brought you different new cakes to try, plus some of your cakes you enjoyed from a few years back.

The other co-worker is easy to get along with, but brings you nothing for years, nothing, and when they finally do, they bring you stale old cake from thirty-six years ago, mainly because they've been trying to sell you these cakes at an inflated price for years.

And if you try to eat some cake, you can't because the cutlery drifts away from the plate.

Or something.

Comment

IT'S REALLY GOOD CAKE, QC! IT'S GREAT CAKE! MICROSOFT'S CAKE IS TERRIBLE AND THEY WANT YOU TO BE ONLINE ALL THE TIME TO EAT IT AND IT'S BORING AND MOSTLY THE SAME AS SONY'S CAKE ANYWAY SO WHO NEEDS IT?!

Comment

Well at least they bring you cake that ISN'T JUST MADE FOR CHILDREN!

Comment

But cakes for children have all those cool and fancy drawings you can eat, and are made out of ice cream and chocolate, with the only fruits allowed being strawberries.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            But cakes for children have all those cool and fancy drawings you can eat, and are made out of ice cream and chocolate, with the only fruits allowed being strawberries.
                            THIS, QC! THIS!

Cakes for grown-ups have carrots in them. Or coffee. Or walnuts. NOBODY NEEDS THAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              THIS, QC! THIS!

Cakes for grown-ups have carrots in them. Or coffee. Or walnuts. NOBODY NEEDS THAT.
                              Ban request please for such heresy, how dare you sir lol

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I thought [MENTION=13193]nakamura[/MENTION] made a decent point about those controllers:
                                It's more telling of the morons who'd complain about it than of Nintendo themselves.

The NES controllers(and the SNES ones, too) are just regular Switch controllers. Nintendo mentions that they don't have enough buttons to play regular Switch games, but it's easier to just say they aren't compatible with anything else than to say "by all means, try playing Splatoon2 if you want but ymmv imho. Mario Time!"

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                Can you play Mario Kart SNES online with a friend then?
                                Yep!

Comment

Working...
                                X