No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, very useful set of results for Spurs after the MC defeat. Now definitely back in control of our own destiny. If Burnley can do us a favour today and Wolves likewise on Wednesday it'll be even better.

Comment

If you conveniently ignore the fact we lost on Saturday, that has been a great weekend for Tottenham in the top four race!

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
        Yes, very useful set of results for Spurs after the MC defeat. Now definitely back in control of our own destiny. If Burnley can do us a favour today and Wolves likewise on Wednesday it'll be even better.
        Get in, another great result for us. Massive opportunity against Brighton tomorrow to put a little bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack.

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
        If you conveniently ignore the fact we lost on Saturday, that has been a great weekend for Tottenham in the top four race!

Yup, it was always going to be very difficult to get a win against Man City so was a big chance for all the top four contenders to gain on us. For us to have lost yet still maintained third place, can't complain about that at all

Comment

Sounded like a good game to watch but one which Spurs made hard work of despite pretty much dominating possession but without scoring. Because of that it all could have gone pear shaped if a Spurs' player had made a mistake. They did not and it was Spurs who finally scored the vital goal and took all the points.

Not quite the putting of Brighton to the sword as I'd hoped but they did the business and now fingers crossed that Wolves can do something against Arsenal tomorrow.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 23-04-2019, 23:02.

Comment

Almost a carbon copy of the Burnley match from earlier in the season. Loads of possession, a very well drilled opposition defence blocking for their lives, a late Eriksen winner and mocking of the time wasting opposition keeper after the goal

With this team I never quite give up believing we'll score eventually, but after Toby's shot hit the post and rolled all the way along the goal line and stayed out, it did get a little bit tense! Eriksen pops up with late winners or equalisers quite a lot when we're struggling to break someone down. I remembered three or four off the top of my head but there have been nine since joining us: West Brom, Hull, Swansea, Sunderland, Sheffield Utd, Palace, Inter, Burnley and now Brighton, all 88+ minutes.

Hopefully we will put in a bit more of a vibrant performance against West Ham. As TonyDA mentioned, they're usually up for it and the chance to beat us is the highlight of their season. Having said that, at this stage of the season, as long as we get the win I will take it any way it comes!

Comment

How good was that Many City v Spurs Champions League quarter final. As someone without Sky or BT Sports, I usually resort to just watching highlights but fortunately decided to stream the match live over the internet (illegal, I know, but I remember when all sport was free and refuse on principle to pay for it, no sportsman needs to make £100,000 a week or whatever and I certainly refuse to be part of that... but I digress). What a match. Possibly the most exciting game I've ever seen. Incredible.

Comment

I only got to see the highlights; thanks again to EJG1980 for posting it here. I've rewatched it and it is still exciting viewing third and fourth times.

Back to today........and thank you VERY much Wolves. Brilliant win for them against Arsenal (possible EL qualification beckons). With MC, as expected, beating MU an almost perfect end to the other Easter week results for us in regards our potential rivals for the CL places.

Just hope Spurs do not blow it now. West Ham, Bournemouth and Everton - not the easiest selection. Spurs often seem to have trouble with WH whether they're playing well or not and neither B or E are just going to roll over, particularly the latter as they have an outside chance of qualifying for the EL too.

Comment

Yep, it’s been a perfect few days in terms of results, especially given our defeat at the weekend. I worked out last night that there is potential for us to beat West Ham at the weekend and secure a top four spot - would also need Arsenal to lose away at Leicester and Man U to draw with/lose to Chelsea.

The benefit of that would be that Poch could rotate a lot for next weekend’s game against Bournemouth, which is sandwiched between the two Ajax games.

But I’ve been supporting Tottenham for too long to be confident about such perfect combinations....

Comment

Everton are a strange team at the moment. The can put in superb performances like the win against Arsenal and Man Utd, but sandwiched in between was a poor performance and loss against Fulham. And right before their win against Chelsea, they threw away a 2-0 lead to lose against Newcastle. Which Everton will turn up?

Hopefully it won't matter as if we can beat West Ham and Bournemouth that's top four sewn up before we even play Everton, no matter what other team's results are (third place would be basically guaranteed too, barring a highly unlikely goal difference swing with Chelsea).

First things first, get that win against West Ham so we can have a nice relaxing weekend waiting to see what the other teams do, and getting excited about the Ajax match COYS!

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                    How good was that Many City v Spurs Champions League quarter final. What a match. Possibly the most exciting game I've ever seen. Incredible.
                    A fantastic match with amazing goals, twists, turns and drama right to the final moments. It's also my favourite ever Spurs loss
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 25-04-2019, 07:25.

Comment

Haha - ‘my favourite ever Spurs loss...’ I like that!

Comment

PSA, just in case, there's a few tickets up for grabs on the ticket exchange for West Ham on Saturday. Category A match though, so nothing too cheap!

Comment

Bugger. So much for a stress free wrapping up of a top four spot!

Can’t complain about the result today. Had two or three good chances to take the lead in the first half, didn’t take them, and then in the second half West Ham were definitely the better side and deserved the win.

We looked lethargic and slow, and every time we did work a good position we either dwelled on the ball too long and gave it away, or played a poor final pass and gave it away. Almost nicked an equaliser at the end but I can’t say we’d have deserved it.

At least we had the cushion so even if Chelsea and Arsenal both win we’ll stay in third place with our destiny still in our own hands.

Gonna be tough against Ajax on Tuesday. Young, energetic, well rested, while we’ve had a tough match a few days before. It’ll be a big test but hopefully the players can summon some extra energy and play with the zip and spark that was missing today.

Comment

Spurs never do things the easy way.

I said here that whatever their current form WH often give Spurs trouble earlier this week. I hate it when that happens again and just when we do not need it. But as you say we have the points cushion and it is not beyond hope that Leicester will do us a favour tomorrow.

With the Arsenal/MU match a draw would be the best result for us, MU winning is OK-ish as that would still leave them 3 points behind.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 28-04-2019, 11:59. Reason: typo

Comment

Well, that was obvious - West Ham raising their game for their annual Cup Final.

I’m not sure how bothered I am at the first defeat nonsense - we were going to lose there at some point, although it would have been good if it had come halfway through next season or longer. Of more concern are the injuries and fatigue the team are showing. Tuesday is beginning to look even trickier, and maybe we need to hope Tuesday is tight and that Sissoko, Winks and Son are all back in a weeks time.

And we’ll now need to give it everything against Bournemouth next weekend, no chance of resting the key men for that game.

Comment

Yeah, the first defeat is something that's annoying at the time but in the end it doesn't mean anything, everyone has to lose at some point.

Thankfully Leicester have cancelled out the damage from that defeat yesterday! A great performance by them against Arsenal, they were much the better side even before Arsenal went down to 10 men. So now the gap between us and 5th place stays the same but there's one less match to play. Now, no matter what happens in Man Utd vs Chelsea, a win against Bournemouth guarantees us top four. Fingers crossed we can get that for a stress free final day!

According to Poch Winks definitely won't make the first leg against Ajax, but he said there's a chance Sissoko might be back for it. Vertonghen will be back too, as he was only left out yesterday to rest him, no injury concerns.

Comment

Working...
                                X