This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things die. Death is everywhere...

...like a fly on the windscreen, waiting to die.

Comment

Very very roughly on metrics i have seen it was about 9 euro for every 10,000 views, i imagine it can vary quite a bit though

Comment

Wow, it's a big pond now. Or the algorithms. Still gonna see what Joe Redifer comes up with, I'm reckoning the channel will still have good content. Content, ha, me talking. The way of the world, everything is in units.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
          Very very roughly on metrics i have seen it was about 9 euro for every 10,000 views, i imagine it can vary quite a bit though
          If you really want to do streaming/Youtube as the only source of income you either need a userbase close to a million or go Patreon.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
            If you really want to do streaming/Youtube as the only source of income you either need a userbase close to a million or go Patreon.
            Yeah, the money isn't really in views, though they're part of it - it's in subscribers and patrons. Subscribers get you reliable views (or at least that's the perception), and that gets you product endorsements - then, of course, patrons just give you money.

In a sense it's like being a musician/recording artist. The money in that game isn't in radio play or streaming, it's in the other stuff like the live shows.

Comment

I have noticed a couple of YouTubers the kids watch are stepping back too. I don’t know the ins and outs of it but, aside from people just getting older and the reality of life kicking in, it seems a year or maybe a bit more ago YouTube views dropped hard. I don’t know if that was a downturn in YouTube (seems unlikely) or a change in audience so a few other YouTubers may have grown in the same period or a change of algorithm so views got more spread among more people. But it seems to have hit a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                what really irks me, massive channels with egotistical fan hating tools, and yet have great channels like gamesack, happyconsolegamer etc that probably are making money but likely barely enough to dedicate to full time
                Yeah; I think part of the problem is that there's a perception, right or wrong, that YouTube's audience is dominated by two groups of people - kids/tweens and cash-poor adults. Advertisers don't really care about the latter but they love the former, because until recently they were able to pay YouTubers and Influencers to basically break conventional advertising rules and exploit the naivety of children. It was unethical, but they were doing it for years; the classic example were all the late-teenage "makeup bloggers" on YouTube that were giving guides about how to achieve "the smoky eye look" to young girls, while blogging about their lives in a manner that made them out to be like the viewer's friend, but really all their makeup was being paid for by major brands and they were basically a spokesperson. Though I don't want to be harsh on that particular example; it was happening in loads of areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I have noticed a couple of YouTubers the kids watch are stepping back too. I don’t know the ins and outs of it but, aside from people just getting older and the reality of life kicking in, it seems a year or maybe a bit more ago YouTube views dropped hard. I don’t know if that was a downturn in YouTube (seems unlikely) or a change in audience so a few other YouTubers may have grown in the same period or a change of algorithm so views got more spread among more people. But it seems to have hit a lot of people.
                  I think it's my post above. The ASA and the like have finally caught up with these people and started fining them as the corporate, unethical shills that they were. I've read articles about it where there were even advertising agencies for them, who would hook you up with the right YouTuber to advertise your product to tweens.

Without a way to effectively break-the-law-without-breaking-the-law, I imagine the whole sector is less lucrative.

Comment

The algorithm will always be a puzzle to me, a few of my vids have done extremely well but i cannot tell you why lol I did a video for Killer instinct and its just a compilation of the Ultimates, had 600k views and checking on the stats it seems to have constant views but then every now and then would be these major spikes far above the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I think it's my post above. The ASA and the like have finally caught up with these people and started fining them as the corporate, unethical shills that they were. I've read articles about it where there were even advertising agencies for them, who would hook you up with the right YouTuber to advertise your product to tweens.

Without a way to effectively break-the-law-without-breaking-the-law, I imagine the whole sector is less lucrative.
                      I think that is something about what irks me, seems there is a lot of people caught doing something dodgy, they either keep silent until it blows over or do a really dodgy apology and then after time...its forgotten.

I swear we will have a Youtuber, Influencer commit murder and will probably still have people defending them.

Also when i get vids saying Not suitable for all advertisors and limited monetisation, I still do not understand that as there has to be some advertisers who would and lets be honest some of the ADs I have seen have no morales anyway

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                        [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] I joined the games industry in April 1996 and left in December 1999. I worked on three games, two were canned and I had bought a house and started to settle down, so needed income to be reliable. The constant crunch and working bank holidays etc. didn't help either.
                        But I learnt a lot and met a lot of great people, so I have no regrets.
                        Sounds similar to me, I totally sympathise!

I got a lot more lucky with crunch through the majority of my career as I went from games testing (Which had insane hours) to tools testing in an R&D team and we were ring fenced from a lot of that stuff. It was only leaving that team by moving into design which is where the hours and weekend work ramp'd right up! My main issue with games were the pay and work security rather than the hours and it was eye opening leaving and seeing just how much I was underpaid and not how every project had to be the ruin of the company.

Also, I realised how I love start ups and small studios over established companies and large offices. You get to know everyone personally and everyone is integral to the project rather than everyone being strangers and too many chefs in the kitchen. Or even worse, a few main managers, telling everyone what to do even if they haven't got a ****ing clue.

Same here, no regrets to what I did and achieved as I got my sea wings in work, realised jobs don't have to be dull and I learnt so much tech and bumped my head on stuff I would never want to do. But I don't think I want to make a game again because of what's involved and sacrificed, but love to be a hobbyist and make stuff on my own with no pressure. Hopefully, I'll make and release my own iOS game in the next few years.

Comment

Revenue for views and likes also went down, if a few comments from people who have decent YT exposure I've read are anything to go by.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
                            aye, 60 years young and at prestige master 368 now on BO4 :-)
                            Epic.
                            Priorities win.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                              That frigging Endgame Spoilers thread.

It’s there leering at me every time I got to the main page.
                              It’s in bold when I go to the sub forum.
                              There it is. Saying ‘REEEAAADDD ME!’
                              Sneering at me.
                              ‘We’ve seen it. You haven’t. You spotty little bastard.’
                              Men from the MCU threads posting in there.
                              ‘New post by Dogg Thang’.
                              He’s seen it then. Bastard. Probably talking about wads. Probably using that exact word. Knowing I can’t see.

Damn it to Hades.
                              Snap. Seeing it tomorrow, just so I can read the bloody thread.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Snap. Seeing it tomorrow, just so I can read the bloody thread.
                                I'm seeing it Wednesday. How I've managed to avoid spoilers up until is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                                X