Canon-Strike V: Game of Thrones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon-Strike V: Game of Thrones

Yes, we're done talking about debating what is and isn't canon within an established franchise. This time we're going to turn our sights on a very established narrative but one with immense interest from its fans and also one that is soon to be brought to an end.

Game of Thrones

Returning one last time in April and ending late May, the final season of Game of Thrones isn't just the culmination of eight seasons of highly regarded television, it's also an ending - possibly the only one fans of the books - may get to the arcing storyline that follows dozens of characters, the slow march of the White Walkers and the confrontation over who will ultimately take the Iron Throne.

The current timeline of events looks more like a London Tube map, but events are drawing to a close and whilst we're close to the end we're also far enough off that we're still in the realm of theories over spoilers.

So, this one is simple, with most of the story arc now told how do you feel about the direction of the tale? What unresolved plot points do you hope to see tied off? How do you expect things to end? How should they end? Who should take the Iron Throne?

Actually looking forward to it being over. I think it kinda peaked, and I want it to finish on something resembling a high.

I think a lot of stuff is going to remain unresolved, though. A good example is that character who was last seen paddling away in a boat, who has just been forgotten about. The cracks have been showing for a while.

Comment

Unless they've prepared something particularly clever (which seems less likely given the more generic turn it's taken since passing the books), I kind of struggle to imagine it'll end in a satisfying way. Despite how much fan joy it gets the show I don't want the last few episodes to descend into being large scale LOTR-lite battles and ultimately the show continues to swirl down to a handful of contending 'winners's of the throne who would all be poor endings.

Comment

I watched the first season under the promise of boobs and dragons.
        I left unimpressed on both accounts.
        Yes there were boobs and sex, but usually between brothers and sisters.

Nooooope.

Comment

The last series resembled an action film pace-wise. That used to be kept for a select few episodes a season and they felt special. Shame they have had to hot shot the storylines to finish everything off.

Comment

The topic of GoT's ending comes up quite a lot at work as there's a fair few fans waiting for it. The common thinking seems to be that there's a strong curiosity to see how it ends (especially for book fans) but few expect it to end in a satisfactory way.

From John, to Cersei to Dany - any of them end up on the Iron Throne and it'll be considered a bad ending to the show. Cersei's arc has pushed her too far for it to work with her coming out on top, Dany is - well, a vile character who is a dictator in waiting. The only logical ending for her is her demise as she continues the march towards becoming more and more like Cersei and her long dead brother. John, the trouble with John is he's deeply predictable and ultimately a very boring generic hero figure.

Our best alternative choice (that won't happen) is Jamie, someone who's actually had a transformative arc but you could believe could rule without being overthrown of stabbed in the night by a power hungry rival within days of the finale's events.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              The topic of GoT's ending comes up quite a lot at work as there's a fair few fans waiting for it. The common thinking seems to be that there's a strong curiosity to see how it ends (especially for book fans) but few expect it to end in a satisfactory way.

From John, to Cersei to Dany - any of them end up on the Iron Throne and it'll be considered a bad ending to the show. Cersei's arc has pushed her too far for it to work with her coming out on top, Dany is - well, a vile character who is a dictator in waiting. The only logical ending for her is her demise as she continues the march towards becoming more and more like Cersei and her long dead brother. John, the trouble with John is he's deeply predictable and ultimately a very boring generic hero figure.

Our best alternative choice (that won't happen) is Jamie, someone who's actually had a transformative arc but you could believe could rule without being overthrown of stabbed in the night by a power hungry rival within days of the finale's events.
              I think a lot of people honestly still expect Danaerys to come out on top, which I think is bizarre. It puts me in mind of the sort of person who, mid-movie, asks you those questions - "is he the baddie?", "why's she doing that?" and so on. The sort of person who was attentive for the first 15 minutes then has kinda zoned-out, so they still fervently believe the character is the person they were when the show started, and they believe the show set Danaerys up as the woman-who-would-be-queen.

I believe if anyone is going to end up on the throne, it'd be Sansa Stark. That's because I feel she's been through the strongest arc, with Tyrion as a close second. Both of them are simply not the people they were at the start. Whereas Danaerys has seen evil and allowed it to corrupt her (symbolised by when she, former free-er of slaves, chained up her dragons) Sansa and Tyrion have been through hell, but both of them have emerged as people who are trying to see some good in both the future and the people around them.

Much of Game of Thrones is inspired by the Wars of the Roses, which would suggest in the end, two sides would form, a major candidate will be killed, the leader of the other side will marry and unify the two sides, and their rule will stick... At least for a while.

However, I also feel that no-one should "end up on the throne". Part of me feels that the best ending to the show should be a "downer ending". If they wanted to go the "social commentary" root, it would be that everyone loses and pretty much everyone dies, as they failed to unite fast enough to defeat the encroaching forces of the Night King.

Comment

I find part of the problem is the unrelenting brutality of the world that GoT has created. Sansa, for example, has gone through a lot and has emerged stronger but is ultimately still a very weak character, I could just about see her filling her mother's void or being on that path but in the wider world or on the throne she'd get snuffed out fast. Danaerys, I constantly hear that she's handled differently in the books so if that's true she and her ending could be the most divergent parts but for the majority of the shows run she's only been a force for good because of the heavy council of those around her and even then they remain in a state of constant uncomfortable side glance with each other, her arc in the show being a blatant villain in the making one intentionally or not.

Tyrion, I don't think the ruthlessness of the GoT world would allow him to emerge victor but he could be redeemed if Jamie survived in some sort of power position in the aftermath.

I'm very interested to see how it ends but my gut expects disappointment as the shows arcs have veered towards the generic fantasy and more obvious events angle since they got past the books

Comment

At one point I was pretty sure Jon Snow would emerge the victor; I thought this would be because, as illegitimate, tradition prevents him from being king - but the whole should would lead up to how "following tradition" is largely what causes all of Westeros' problems in the first place.

Jamie, for example, is largely held in mistrust because he betrayed his oath and killed a king - but the king was a madman who was about to kill a huge number of innocent people. His actions were perfectly reasonable; tradition is the true villain.

Comment

I vote for that boy who likes the sweet sweet titty milk.

Comment

Everyone will win. They will all have to work together against the white walkers, will see the world from each other's perspective and end up as friends.

Comment

We're beginning to approach the end of the year and that means the usual round trip of Canon-Strike threads where there has been an update in content since the previous year. Here, the last discussion took place before the final season had aired, let alone the launch of the first of what is set to be many spin-offs:

Several years later...

What is now your opinion of the way Game of Thrones story ended?

Does the prequel series add anything meaningful to the tale?

Comment

I have to agree with the general concensus that the end of the show was a weak way to go out. Thrones started so strong ... the world felt extreme and dangerous at all times. As it went on it mellowed a bit ... lost its hard edge ... but the substance was still good enough. Then the rushed wrap of the final season felt so off-tempo it was like a different show. I will watch it again at some point but that final season did tarnish the legacy of a very good show.

I tried a couple of eps of the prequel series but it didn't grab me.

Comment

The final arc of the show felt so bad that not only did it make me dislike the show in retrospect; I am actively opposed to ever watching anything connected to it. A prequel show is a prequel to that... No thanks!

Comment

The prequel is decent, and way better than the last season of original series, it was clearly rushed through as the show runners wanted to move on to other things, and there was no original material to base it on - and that I think hampered it. Has George R. R. Martin even finished the books yet, or is he still counting the HBO money?

Comment

Working...
                              X