X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Tango & Cash
    Back in an era when stopping your car in front of a lorry and shooting two rounds at it was considered an action set piece, this remains just about enough fun largely due to Kurt Russell who does his usual routine and mostly carries Stallone.
    This is 18. I reckon it would be a 12 now.

Comment

Pet Semetary (2019). If you've ever seen the original film avoid this like the plague it's a scene for scene remake that really has no point existing.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Pet Semetary (2019). If you've ever seen the original film avoid this like the plague it's a scene for scene remake that really has no point existing.
        I always liked Pet Sematary 2 more than first film. Watched it on VHS now and then through the 90s. Haven't seen it for ages though. Stars Edward Furlong.

I was reading about why King spelled it "Sematary" and they say it's meant to be how a kid might spell it.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-04-2019, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          This is 18. I reckon it would be a 12 now.
          Thinking about it I can't really think of anything in the film that warrants an 18 rating, it's a pretty mild ride

The Little Mermaid II
          Random one to see but the missus was curious about it. It fluctuates a lot on animation quality as is the way with direct to DVD releases. They get most of the cast back with the exceptions being whoever voiced Eric and Flounder. Ursula's sister (magically voiced by the same actress) comes for the Trident in a tale that is supposed to be about Ariel's daughter but really the film is effectively a remake of the first film but more basic and in reverse with the daughter becoming a mermaid for five minutes. Not awful but pretty pointless.

Comment

I finally got round to watching It. It gets a load of things right but, despite being nearly two and a half hours long, it still feels rushed. I know it's not the book but it's impossible not to compare. And it's a compliment I'd have easily spent another hour in Derry, given the option. But what I loved was the Loser's Club; not just perfect casting, I genuinely believed they were a close-knit group of friends who'd known each other for years. Pennywise was hit and miss ... well acted but I wasn't really a fan of his make-up/lightbulb noggin approach. Despite the odd gripe it's still a success though, and I can't imagine a much better film. So looking forward to Pt 2 this year ... just hope the grown-up selves have half the charisma of those kids.

Comment

Siberia - this was on netflix and what a pile of utter utter rubbish, most pointless film Keanu Reeves has done and thats saying something, you dont know whats happening the film just plods along stupid story line, no chemistry between the main leads, and the music its just constant generic "i'm must be in Russia" and then the film ends is the most eh, is that it way. 1/10

Bumblebee - possibly the best live action transformer film to date, not great but not as bad as the ridiculous Bay films, this is more Gen 1 style transformers which makes the film a bit more watchable, a lot of plot holes especially with the ways bumblebee's memory is handled, but a not too bad popcorn film. 6/10

Bad Times at the El Royale - i like these multiple story-line/coincidence type films, almost Tarantino style in the story telling, some good performances from the cast in this mystery thriller, Bridges is great, Hemsworth played the part of the cult leader perfectly. its paced really well, , and you dont know whats going to happen next. 8/10

Comment

Final Destination 5
                Took a long while but final finished the franchise. This is better than the fourth and third films by a decent margin even if it has an unhealthy obsession with needles, some terrible actors and still has the 4th films misjudged obsession with 3D shots. The logic towards the end is highly questionable but the twist in the film is actually nicely handled. Doesn't need another one.

Happy Death Day 2U
                The first was... passable. This one quickly sets itself up as truly abysmal.

Comment

I bought Disney's the black hole on Amazon's Prime in HD. One of my fav childhood films and it was so good to watch it in 1080p . What an incredible film, and music score... oh the model effects are ace too. So wish this would get a SE BluRay release

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    I bought Disney's the black hole on Amazon's Prime in HD. One of my fav childhood films and it was so good to watch it in 1080p . What an incredible film, and music score... oh the model effects are ace too. So wish this would get a SE BluRay release
                    Yes!

I love this! I actually preferred this to Star Wars as a kid. So many interesting themes like the duality of man, good and evil, insanity or genius and has quite a somber tone for a Disney film.

That John Barry score is fantastic and was the first film score to be digitally recorded.

I might get this myself, thanks!

Comment

Watched Ant-Man & The Wasp last night.

Really enjoyed it. Pretty superfluous in the whole Marvel universe but it was nice to have a stand alone film with some good laughs and clever action pieces.

Biggest disappointment was there wasn't enough Luis and his crazy stories.

Comment

A Woman Of Paris - Making my way through the Chaplin box set I came to this one, and didn't know prior to the notification at the beginning that Chaplin himself is not in it (apart from a tiny, hard to spot cameo). Turns out he wanted to make a more serious film. On paper the plot is nothing special, but it's the treatment that shines. The dynamics and emotions between the characters are spot on and believable, with more subtlety than is common (in my limited experience) in silent films. I was disappointed when I realised Chaplin wasn't in it ... but I wasn't by the time it finished.

Blade Runner 2049 - watching this now without piecing together all the little puzzle pieces like I did in the cinema, I can lose myself more in the sights and sounds and dreaminess. It's a beautiful film. Still love it just as much. And without sounding like a tech-bore it's a real showcase for 4k/HDR/Dolby Atmos ... the sound was properly reverberating through the room in all the best ways, just like it shook the cinema auditorium. Might have to go back and watch the first one while I'm in the zone.

Comment

Avengers Endgame. I'm too tired to talk about it but it was good. Good night everyone

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Yes!

I love this! I actually preferred this to Star Wars as a kid. So many interesting themes like the duality of man, good and evil, insanity or genius and has quite a somber tone for a Disney film.

That John Barry score is fantastic and was the first film score to be digitally recorded.

I might get this myself, thanks!
                            I still preferr it to Star Wars tbh, its a more grown up take on Sc-FI also with an increabile ending (well for a Disney Film). It a overlooked and underrated classic

Comment

Rewatched Into The Spider-verse. Reckon it might just be the best animated film ever made and it’s one of my favourite superhero movies. It’s absolutely brilliant. Really in every single way. Every element of the movie is fantastic.

Comment

Watched Kubrick's 'The Killing' an hour or so back. I can see why it was so influential...it might be a tad dated but it's stunning to look at, brilliantly meta, brilliantly brill. Has Kubrick ever made a stinker??? Never seen this before, I'd initially assumed its age would date it badly but it's still very clever and unpredictable, Tarantino clearly nicked lots of stuff from this.

I won't spoil this if you haven't seen it, I was gonna write a big paragraph about this but it would be a spoiler...all I can say is it's a movie about human nature...and human nature is often flawed.

It has some massively atmospheric, lush B&W imagery, a film noir LA in stark blacks and bleached whites with murky, textured grey in the centre.

Guy who plays the rifleman is uncanny, he looks like early 90s Nic Cage with the facial gurning and bad teeth of Bobby Peru...like a combo of both Cage n' Dafoe in Wild At Heart.

Grrrrrrrreat. And deep dark jazzy doom music, too. Kubrick kicks arse massively.

Comment

Working...
                                X