Little Things That Puzzle You 2: Twisted Membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
    I'm familiar with the common big bounce theory, is your theory similar?
    I probably heard it somewhere and forgot where, then ego manifested and I claimed it as my own in my head.

Comment

This was posted on Era at the weekend and it's a fascinating timelapse of the rest of the Universe's life:

It was proceeded by this:

Highlighting that life should both be treasured and yet is meaningless at the same time. Also, that far too much human focus is placed on the Universe, once you start to consider that it has a finite lifespan and limits like anything else and could also be one of countless universes it raises a lot of questions but also spotlights how unimportant our universe is, changing the nature of the question of existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        I remember reading Epicurus...
        The dude was a hardcore hedonist, but not in the modern, perverted definition of the word:
        An Epicurean is, to us, a foodie, a wine buff or a gourmet. But the word has an ancient philosophical provenance and a radical edge. Recovering something of...

Comment

Queuing at the supermarket checkout yesterday, I did my usual nosy thing of looking to see what other people had in their trolleys and baskets and I'm always struck how Britons, increasingly it seems, choose to poison their bodies with processed foods manufactured in factories rather than respect and revere their bodies by eating raw foods grown in nature. I don't understand it.

Comment

Lack of subsidisation. When fresh food costs twice the price of processed the health diet is forever doomed.

Comment

Yes, I think that may be part of the reason but I also suspect it's a cultural thing. When I lived in America I noticed that processed foods are even more common there than they are here. But you don't see that sort of behaviour much in places like France or Spain or Portugal, certainly not in countries like Egypt or India. They might eat a few processed foods, sure, the odd chocolate bar and the like, but their diet by and large, and certainly their main meals, consists of natural ingredients. Maybe we're lazier? Maybe we can't be bothered making something from scratch?

Comment

I think it feels like we've become lazier but it's probably fuelled by the way certain countries approach their other non-food areas also. Like how some countries have much higher average weekly working hours leaving less time for personal pursuits and things like home cooking. The less time people have, the greater the need for convenience

Comment

Do people really have a need for convenience? Or is it more a desire for convenience? People in some countries work longer hours than we do and still set time aside to create meals. I think we've become obsessed with convenience and efficiency. Our eye is always on the result at the expense of the purpose and meaning and joy that's to be found during the process. A meal isn't just about filling a hole in your stomach, it's about using your hands and feeling the food, it's about creating something, its a ritual, a process. It's a doing. Its about the love and effort you put into it. All that's very important. It's like prayer. You don't pray in the hope God will answer your prayer at some point in the future. You pray because it brings you back to this moment here and now, It awakens something in you in touch with reality. When we wholeheartedly give ourselves to this moment, it doesn't matter whether we're cooking or praying or dancing or sweeping the floor, there's a genuine joy and aliveness that arises. You're awake, alert.

I get the impression that for many people, they would rather get their meal down them as soon as possible so they can sit down in front of the TV. I get the impression people have fallen out of love with reality. They've forgotten that there is more meaning in peeling a potato than there is in watching any number of hit TV box sets.
                  Last edited by Zen Monkey; 26-04-2019, 14:05.

Comment

Not sure if this is more of an Irk, but its definitely confusing. The other night i was flicking channels and stopped on NCIS. I'm not a fan really but its easy to watch and i just had it on in the background...today my Google news feed is full of NCIS entertainment news stories. How the hell do they know I watched it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      Not sure if this is more of an Irk, but its definitely confusing. The other night i was flicking channels and stopped on NCIS. I'm not a fan really but its easy to watch and i just had it on in the background...today my Google news feed is full of NCIS entertainment news stories. How the hell do they know I watched it?
                      Because there listening via the mic that’s how.

Comment

Cricket puzzles me, i do not mind the sport but often i go around my dads and he is watching international cricket.....and is it me or is there only about 6 teams in the world ? , International rugby also seems like that to

Comment

My favourite sport by a mile is the NFL but what grates is when the Super Bowl winners proclaim themselves world champions - aside from the Canadian's the American's are the only ones who play, yes they would be world champions if other countries had a go but that's not really the point.
                          Oh, and the stupid terms they use which aren't really words like verbage and winningest.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                            Oh, and the stupid terms they use which aren't really words like verbage and winningest.
                            Perfectly cromulent words.

Comment

Affordable Housing. What is that?

Comment

****ty houses in dodgy neighbourhoods. I'm just being dramatic.

Comment

Working...
                                X