No announcement yet.

GCD2: Games Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This story is a few days old, but nevertheless an interesting one, albeit not solely a videogame related problem.

Jim Sterling YouTube video: Activision Blizzard pays $0 tax in the US. Essentially a few reports emerged that 60 of America's biggest companies paid zero tax (in some cases getting a refund) in their home country. Activision Blizzard, along with the likes of Amazon, Netflix, GM, IBM.

Also interesting that the (enthusiast) videogame media just didn't pick up or bother reporting on this one.

Comment

Some March NPD (so US physical and digital sales) numbers: https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd...rdware.113173/

Apart from the obvious headlines there are some clues in there about The Division 2 sales, something Ubisoft has been radio silent on so far:
      • Tom Clancy's The Division 2 was the best-selling game of March 2019 and is now the second best-selling game of 2019. Launch month sales of Tom Clancy's The Division 2 are the sixth highest in history for an Ubisoft-published game.

This explains why there have been no 'PR boast about sales' so far because unlike the first game it has set no milestones by the looks of it. The first game broke Ubisoft and industry records so whilst still likely successful for Massive/Ubisoft it seems it might be down on the first. I personally find that a little surprising.

Comment

I guess it's likely because it launched amidst a very busy rush of releases and at face value the game looks like dull expansion material. Glad it's done well in general though as the small bit I've played already feels like it's actually one of the better gaming releases of the year so far.

Comment

Indeed. Although as a sequel it should have been about expanding its audience. Unlike the first game it already had a massive player base already engaged. Feels a bit like the Destiny situation (although we don't have concrete numbers) where the sequel likely didn't sell as well as the first game even if it made more money.

Comment

Sony may have begun talking openly about PlayStation 5, but it's still a long way from going on sale. Today, Sony said …

Sony updates its hardware sales figures. It was the companies best year for earnings with hardware sales only slightly down on the previous year.

Playstation 4 - 96.8m units
            Xbox One - Est. 41.0m units
            Nintendo Switch - 32.93m units

Comment

Sony Interactive Entertainment offers its business and sales information for those seeking to understand our sales wins.

Sony updates PS3 hardware sales figures as being 87.4m worldwide

Comment

Namco saw a slight increase in sales last financial year and has highlighted three games as being its top performers:

-Jump Superstars!
                -Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
                -Soul Calibur VI

Comment

The Division 2 Sales Fail To Meet Ubisoft's Targets On PS4 And Xbox One - GameSpot

Story starting to break that The Division 2 didn't meet sales expectations. This link and story taken from ResetEra.

"The Division 2 ended up short of our ambitious expectations on console. We believe this was due in large part to a more competitive market than expected," chief financial boss Frederick Dugue said, though he did not name any specific competitor titles.
                  It interesting that they talk about competitors, although the only game in released in the same timeframe was Anthem (which also failed to meet its targets) so I assume it's a comment on the genre/market as a whole.

PC sales margins will have improved due to the massive uptake in direct UPlay purchases and the Epic Games Store deal which brought in financial revenue. Although this isn't stated in the article.

As mentioned not only a few posts above, I am personally surprised by this when it started to become clear The Division 2 hadn't sold anywhere near as well as the first game. I'd said many times previously I thought this game would be a huge success so I was wrong. But it seems The Division 2 aligns with Destiny 2 in more ways than one.

Comment

With Division 2 I imagine it comes down to a couple of factors. Jan-Apr was a busy time for releases and Division 2 wasn't amongst the first on the shelves, it never looked distinctly different enough from the first game which probably made it easy for people to think they're happy to wait till a later date and lastly it's a GaaS game and one that's fairly open about it. That means it expects a commitment from its users and increasingly it seems like people climb on board something like Destiny or Division, play it and enjoy it over a longer timeframe but still feel burnt out on it when the sequel turns up. That the games that have recently recorded as having performed well (Resi 2, DMC5, Metro Exodus, SC6) are more traditional SP affairs shows what most probably suspected all along. Publishers and devs need to start doing what's best for nurturing their IP's instead of chasing trends.

It's like the recent embarrassing failure of the BR mode in Battlefield 5, it's not a fix and it's not an automatic response they need to make.

Division 2 is solid though, there's no chance of a third game this generation and Siege showed Ubi's ability to steer a ship right so the franchise should be alright as long as a next gen third game learns the right lessons.

Comment

Actually I've just noted from the GI.biz news story - that the TD2 news was hidden in Ubisoft's end of year results yesterday.

Massive might have just lost there 'can do anything card', but I would expect a cross-gen The Division 3 in 2/3 years. Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen. Certainly all those Massive resources aren't working on Division 2 content.

I think the other thing that isn't explicitly stated but is likely a contributor is Fortnite. There are too many of these premium GaaS Shooters failing to meet targets (TD2, Anthem, Destiny 2/Forsaken, BF1, BFV etc.) for it not to be disrupting somehow.

I do agree that publishers need to stop chasing every game being a GaaS but I'm not sure they will. What's not stated is whether the game has been financially successful or not. And of course the rewards are so large as shareholder-pressured companies still need to chase. But it does feel like there are more and more of these GaaS games not meeting expectations. #bubbleleakingairmaybe?
                      Last edited by Digfox; 16-05-2019, 10:25.

Comment

Hello, everyone! PlatinumGames game designer Isao Negishi here. I was in charge of designing levels and RPG el […]

Very nice to see, sales of Nier: Automata have now passed the 4m units mark

Comment

Welcome to the latest edition of the ‘Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Worldwide’ article. This series compares [...]

Thanks to the way these figures come through they're never entirely reliable but there has been some low level chatter that in light of the Xbox 4 talk sales of the Xbox One have collapsed into freefall, falling by upwards of 48% as gamers abandon the prospect of picking up a new unit of the system. These figures aim to update the global lifetime sales figures of each system and if correct they now stand at:

Playstation 4 - 100m units
                          Xbox One - 42.8m units
                          Switch - 35.5m units

It's looking increasingly likely that XBO will finish at 45m as it's taken a very long time to get from the 30's to 42m.

All four systems are down on sales compared to last year. For PS4 and XBO that's to be expected as they're both aging systems with replacements on the distant horizon, for Switch it's a harder one to pin but personally speaking it's been a very long time since a major title has released on the system which may account for the slight dip.
                          Last edited by Neon Ignition; 30-07-2019, 10:13. Reason: Updated for 30 July 2019 Sony figures

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            All four systems are down on sales compared to last year.

Are you secretly counting Vita as the 4th system?

I remember having debates on here when I used to say it was a contracting market and dedicated set top boxes boxes were down in sales compared to the last gen. And then being told Xbox One wasn't down on sales versus 360 or that mobile hadn't eaten some of the console (non-handheld) users.

Comment

It's likely right too, wasn't it early this year Sony stopped production?

The market has definitely shrunk and I think there'll be serious disappointment for any company thinking streaming will reverse that.

Comment

The top ten best selling games in the UK for the first half of 2019 are as follows.

1. Grand Theft Auto V (361,312)
                                2. FIFA 19 (360,588)
                                3. Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (263,520)
                                4. Red Dead Redemption 2 (259,931)
                                5. Resident Evil 2 (239,495)
                                6. Days Gone (229,182)
                                7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (175,451)
                                8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (172,065)
                                9. Anthem (165,746)
                                10. Forza Horizon 4 (144,790)

Just looks at all those hot new console exclusives people are buying....

Comment

Working...
                                X