Retro|Spective 075: Super Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 075: Super Mario

One of the very biggest franchises in all of gaming finally gets its turn, shooting out your pipe comes...

Mainline Entry 01 - Mario Bros.
    Formats:
    Arcade and others
    The title in which Mario first truly stepped forward into the spotlight and one of gamings most enduring legends was born. The single screen title also saw the genesis of Luigi and had the brothers working to flip enemies and send them off screen, lasting as long as possible. The games success once it hit home consoles paved the way for a follow up, one that presumably would add new enemies and screens, right?

Mainline Entry 02 - Super Mario Bros.
    Formats:
    NES and others
    There will always be those who think this was the beginning, the legendary first Super Mario title that came out on Nintendo's 8 bit platform and officially made the plumber a household name. The series step into the world of scrolling platformer began here as Mario set out across multiple worlds to rescue Princess Peach from the grasp of Bowser. Intended to signal the end of cartridge NES games the game ended up delivering an experience considered to be one of the best games ever made. As a result the race was on to follow up on this success, a push that would lead to two very different outcomes.

Mainline Entry 03 - Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
    Formats:
    NES and others
    Mainline Entry 04 - Super Mario Bros. 2
    Formats: NES and others
    A true sequel adding new power ups arrived but the US deemed it too hard for western gamers so Doki Doki Panic was retrofitted to become a sequel also, the world being given two very different Mario sequels. Lost Levels remains probably too restrained a sequel, very much one in the traditional sense whereas the western sequel remains a distinct entry that was very much a gamble that could have gone very wrong for the series. Carefully retooled and letting players take on the role of one of four characters as they take on Wart, the game proved a big success and eventually made its way to Japanese audiences also.

Mainline Entry 05 - Super Mario Bros. 3
    Formats: NES and others
    Nintendo came back in 1990 with the closing entry of the NES Mario series, a game that took everything they'd learnt from the past entries and dialled them up into a template that would define many of the subsequent games. Once again facing Bowser and trekking across multiple worlds, the third game introduced numerous level themes and enemies that became series staples and took the critical success of the original game to a new level.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Super Mario Land
    Formats: Game Boy and others
    Aiming to be a push for the new handheld, the Mario experience was condensed down for the tiny monochrome screen in this entry that once again saw Mario set off across different worlds but this time included one or two other distractions such as shooter sections. The visual style of the main games was lost to a fair degree making this game seem pretty distinct from its bigger cousins and the small size of characters drew some concerns but the game was an immense hit and set Mario up on a second platform.

Mainline Entry 06 - Super Mario World
    Formats: SNES and others
    Arriving at the launch of the new 16 bit system, Mario World was an extension of the work delivered in Mario 3 and presented a fairly simple visual style but with a new rideable sidekick, Mode 7 effects and branching exits. Yoshi brought his own powers to the mix depending on the type of koopa shell he ate and the added power of the new system meant levels could feature more on screen obstacles. The result was once again a critical hit and one of the systems highest selling games.

Spin Off Entry 02 - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    Formats: Game Boy and others
    Following up on the original handheld entry, the sequel was a visual quantum leap beyond what players had last time. Reproducing the visuals of the home entries much more strongly this entry was a much more similar experience to play and had its own power ups as well as the introduction of Wario.

Mainline Entry 07 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Formats: SNES and others
    Utilising the Super FX2 chip, the new game brought a lot of changes to the formula to make itself distinct from the last game but also visually distinct from the prerendered look Miyamoto didn't like. Controlling Yoshi, players set out to rescue Baby Luigi in this series prequel that would go on to spawn a run of tie in games. Whilst not anywhere near the highest selling entry thanks to how late it arrived on the system, the game was instantly beloved and has been rereleased repeatedly since.

Mainline Entry 08 - Super Mario 64
    Formats: Nintendo 64 and others
    Nintendo's next entry would blow the doors off the minds of many gamers. Mario and many gamers took their first true steps into 3D with this game changer of an title. The new dependency on 360 movement led to a lot experimenting with exploration and Mario's moveset, the plumber now able to do everything from clinging on to roof rails to swinging Bowser into distant bombs. The game was a revolutionary experience and was a defining moment in the minds of many.

Mainline Entry 09 - Super Mario Sunshine
    Formats: Gamecube
    As the follow up the N64 classic, Sunshine carried a lot of expectation and for some it failed to meet that bar. Whilst a successful and widely enjoyed entry, the game drew criticism for its rough textures and more skittish movement as well as a clumsy camera and fiddly FLUDD system. FLUDD proved to be a mixed addition, the water canon leading to as much joy as it did frustration. The game sold well but never met Nintendo's expectations and remains system locked.

Spin Off Entry 03 - New Super Mario Bros.
    Formats:
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo came back around to a platforming based spin-off with the DS title that aimed to recreate something closer to the NES entries approach to the series. The game was an immense success for the handheld selling tens of millions of copies and it launched the New approach into its own sideline series.

Mainline Entry 10 - Super Mario Galaxy
    Formats: Nintendo Wii, Nintendo WiiU and Nvidia Shield
    Coming back from Sunshine, Nintendo reworked their approach to the series for this new game. Facing similar hardware to its predecessor, they came with a new visual approach too and delivered a game that truly made the system sing. Travelling through galaxies to once again save Peach, the concept of the scenario allowed Nintendo to build upon Sunshine's most positively received sections - the void levels. Any type of platforming set up could be introduced in a way that always made sense and the result was a creative mixture through a high production value adventure. With its soaring orchestral soundtrack and return to the familiar tight controls players loved, the series was once again back into critical acclaim territory.

Spin Off Entry 04 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Formats: Nintendo Wii
    Mainline Entry 11 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Formats: Nintendo Wii and Nintendo WiiU
    For some it was a positive, for others less so, but the direct follow up to Galaxy brought largely more of the same but pulled back on the production values and hub to bring back a world map approach to the series. The game was also notable for the introduction of the now common Super Guide system, aimed to help players who struggled as Galaxy 2 was pitched as a harder game than the first. Like the previous game, Galaxy 2 enjoyed as much acclaim.

Spin Off Entry 05 - Super Mario 3D Land
    Formats:
    Nintendo 3DS
    Spin Off Entry 06 - New Super Mario Bros. 2
    Formats: Nintendo 3DS
    Spin Off Entry 07 - New Super Mario Bros. U
    Formats: Nintendo WiiU
    Mainline Entry 12 - Super Mario 3D World
    Formats: Nintendo WiiU
    Inspired by the 3DS entry, Nintendo brought the top down view to WiiU with this next entry into the Mario series. The results proved somewhat mixed, whilst the game was critically well received and a strong performer there were complaints that it represented something of a downsizing in scale for the series coming off the Galaxy games and that led to some disappointment for some. Also, being tied to the heavily underperforming WiiU, the games impact on the series legacy has been very limited.

Mainline Entry 13 - Super Mario Odyssey
    Formats:
    Nintendo Switch
    The current, newest entry saw the return of a more Mario 64 style mindset for the series with a greater reliance on closer to real life elements. The possessing abilities of Mario's cap proved to be Nintendo's way of mixing things up for this entry as Mario set through each world, focusing on exploration to find and capture Power Moons.

Share your memories of the series and thoughts on why Super Mario Galaxy is the best entry!

My Top 5:

1. Super Mario World
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. Super Mario Bros. 2
    4. Super Mario Galaxy
    5. Super Mario Bros. 3

I remember loving Super Mario Bros. on the NES before I actually got my hands on the system. Then when I bought the system second hand, it also came with SMB2, which became one of my all-time favourite games. Then I played SMB3, which is a totally awesome game that's a nice proper follow up to the original SMB.

After that, I really enjoyed Super Mario Land 2. Easily my favourite platformer for the Game Boy. The first Mario Land is also very good.

Then Super Mario World blew me away. It's always a joy to go back to because it plays so perfectly. There's something magical about the game that always puts a smile on my face.

Yoshi's Island is also a slice of Nintendo magic that I have a lot of fondness for. Such a charming, fun game.

After that, I enjoyed Mario 64 quite a bit, but didn't like it as much as previous 2D entries in the series. Then in the modern era, I thought Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were absolutely brilliant creations that deserved 10/10 ratings.

I haven't played Mario Odyssey yet, but I will when I finally get my hands on a Switch. I just don't want to buy the system for one game.

Also, maybe 'Super Mario All-Stars' should be on the list. I think it's a great compilation to have if you're a fan of the series.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-02-2019, 15:33.

Comment

Mario 64 is definitely my highlight. I struggle to put into words just how much of a leap it felt over literally any videogame I had played before. The movement, the sense of freedom, even technical things like the draw distance (meaning that in many stages, you could find your destination how you did in real life - going up somewhere high and looking for it) - it was just wonderful.

It wasn't perfect, and some elements of it really show their age now, but that didn't matter at the time. I played it non-stop for months and I loved every second of it.

Comment

Yep, no doubting the leap that was Mario 64. Nothing looked as good or played as smoothly before that. And it was a fantastic game too so it really had everything.

So many amazing games on this and I could probably talk about them forever but, for now, I'll just mention a couple of highlights. The first is Super Mario Bros 3. It's my favourite 2D Mario and I think it just nailed everything. The pacing is perfect with the small but challenging levels. It feels so good even back on the NES when so many games were just plain janky. It's gaming perfection and I can go back to this game over and over and over again.

The next is Mario Galaxy. My favourite 3D Mario. It fixed everything I didn't like about Sunshine (I don't think Sunshine is bad, I just think it suffered from camera problems of the era without feeling the huge leap that 64 brought) and did so in gorgeous packaging. The visuals and music are sublime and it has an atmosphere all of its own. And underneath all that is a really strong Mario game. It has brilliant levels and great pacing. I love it.

Weirdly, I STILL haven't played Galaxy 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Weirdly, I STILL haven't played Galaxy 2.
          It's worth grabbing a second hand copy for £15-20. One of the best 'modern era' games that helped me to keep faith in the industry. Such an inspiring experience that's a complete joy to play through. Easily a 10/10 in my book.

Comment

Super Mario Bros is the game I have "double"-dipped on the most. Currently own it for Famicom, Super Famicom, GBC, GBA, and Wii, as well as on the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles. I'd probably have bought the 3DS one too if it hadn't been part of the ambassador program. I'm not very good at it though - I think 7-2 is the furthest I've got.

Having grown up with a Game Boy in its early days, Super Mario Land is the one game I would choose to play if my life depended on it. I rinsed that game and can usually one-life it. I enjoyed the sequel too, but not as much. Never got into the Wario Land games.

Generally I much prefer the 2D Marios to the 3D ones, although I have had a lot of fun with 3D Land, 3D World and Odyssey, and enjoyed the novelty of walking all around the planetoids in the Galaxy games. But for me nothing beats the relentless action of the 2D games, especially the early ones.

It's cheating a bit, but Mario Maker is the best Mario game ever, IMO, and has a place in my top ten games of all time.

Comment

Mario IV is the best and one of happiest memories looking back is me using the Super Play Mario World guide to get all the extra's and fully complete the game. If not for the silly motion controls Mario Galaxy would also be as good and I also love Mario 3D land.

Have to Super Mario Odyssey is the worst 3D title and was a bitter disappointment for me, and a huge step backwards for the magic of 3D land and Galaxy 2.

Comment

I enjoyed the first two Mario's but the third was the one where the franchise clicked for me, as I didn't have SNES on day one it was later on that I properly went through Mario World but it easily trumped the NES games and to this day remains the very best of all 2D Mario's. I enjoy Yoshi's Island a lot but it borders on not being a Mario game, even then I'd pick SMW over it, it's excellent but hard to think of in the same light as the other entries.

First seeing Mario 64 on Bad Influence! and GamesMaster was just mindblowing, the very last quantum leap in gaming witnessed first hand. Playing it hit you with a second wave of that experience, there can never be enough words to express how seismic a shift the game was. Sunshine was definitely a big disappointment, the game has several issues but really the first and foremost is that Mario himself controls the worst he has in a 3D entry, meaning something isn't right from the games core.

The lowered expectations really let Galaxy blow the doors off, the game is just everything a 3D Mario should be. Galaxy 2 is very close but stripping back the production values does make the sequel feel a little cheaply put together compared to the majesty of the first entry that remains the franchises very highest peak.

3D World... it really is an excellent game but like others it's almost hard to think of it as being a main entry more than being a spin-off. It feels like it's designed as a stepping stone from the 2D entries to the full big world 3D ones but it came later instead. I'd be very happy seeing it continue as a sub-series like New have though.

Odyssey, it's great but lacking a certain something and is heavily padding leant which is why it'll never hit Galaxy's levels in my mind.

Comment

3D World is by far the most creative. Each stage has a unique and exclusive theme or clever gimmick which never repeats, not even once unless you include 'medley' stages which come later.

It's also gorgeous to look at and interact with.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    3D World... it really is an excellent game but like others it's almost hard to think of it as being a main entry more than being a spin-off. It feels like it's designed as a stepping stone from the 2D entries to the full big world 3D ones but it came later instead.
                    Yep. I think it's a great game in so many ways while also feeling it didn't get the love in other ways. Even as 3D Land on the 3DS which played great, it looked pretty bland and was very much just a set of levels. I mean, they're all just a set of levels but with the dressing, themes and so on good games (and definitely good Mario games) make it feel like much more. And there is no getting away from the fact that 3D World is an upgraded 3D Land spinoff rather than coming in strong with something unique for the WiiU with its own identity.

Comment

Super Mario World is the biggest one for me. Totally consumed me that game ... perfectly designed, finely tuned gameplay, beautiful visuals and music. 64 was a proper wow moment and I've got such happy memories of playing it ... but World is the one I go back to for the gameplay.

The Galaxy games are superb but I'm ashamed to say I finished neither. I keep promising to go back. I think my only barrier is having to play with the wand and nunchuck. They work perfectly, I know, it's just not natural, sit-down gaming for me.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      3D World is by far the most creative.
                      I think 3D world gets overlooked because it's on a bit of a dud console (not my opinion) and some may think it's merely a home version of the 3DS game. It's definitely one of my favourite 3D Mario titles. It's so much fun and manages to capture some of the purity of 2D Mario too. I want to hook my WiiU up right now just thinking about it

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        3D World... it really is an excellent game but like others it's almost hard to think of it as being a main entry more than being a spin-off. It feels like it's designed as a stepping stone from the 2D entries to the full big world 3D ones but it came later instead. I'd be very happy seeing it continue as a sub-series like New have though.
                        I think 3D World does feel like this... Solo.

However, in co-op I just think it's sublime, and one of the best same-screen co-op games ever. I really hope Nintendo do a Switch version as it's one of the few reasons I still have a WiiU.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          I really hope Nintendo do a Switch version as it's one of the few reasons I still have a WiiU.
                          I don't.

This incessant porting of the WiiU's finest to the Switch has to stop imo, although I say that knowing it's highly unlikely to if Nintendo have anything to do with it. Yes, many people likely didn't play 3D World first time around but the flipside of that is there are pretty slim pickings for WiiU owners like myself as far as what to play on Switch is concerned in the way of first-rate premium titles.

Surely just making a Super Mario 3D World 2 for Switch instead would be far more welcomed?
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-02-2019, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            I don't.
                            I can empathise with your line of reasoning. My desire is predicated on Nintendo doing it as an additional title, as opposed to taking away from stuff they might otherwise be making.

I have no issue with re-releases on later machines. I would prefer it becomes more common practice than less. I share your concern, though; it is a pain when publishers do a re-release and they make a big song-and-dance about it, padding out their release schedule.

Part of me feels that this is one of the main reasons Nintendo didn't do a proper Virtual Console service for the Switch; I'm not sure how they'd weather the PR disaster of asking people to pay for the games again that they already digtally own on the Wii (something which bypassed the WiiU by virtue of it not being that successful).

Comment

If the ports keep selling that well I can imagine Super Mario 3D World will be along this year at some point as they've already hit the wall on what's left to port. I wouldn't rule out Wii ports then with a slight touch up applied, the use of ports still highlights the issues with new content Nintendo has for the Switch though a Galaxy HD...

Comment

Working...
                              X