Looks as good as the games.
    Fact right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Looks as good as some of the games.
      Fixed that hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Don't like the design mind and wod have liked a design more like Shuna Sassi, for the spikes lol
        I'd have been quite interested if it were a completely CG movie with a Japanese vibe. I've never liked seeing Sonic and co in real world settings. Cartoon characters wandering around the real world with humans doesn't appeal to me.

Imagine if the original Sonic creators were working with the creators of the Ice Age movies. A collaboration like that could maybe work really well. I really think a Sonic movie could work well if it aimed to be in the same league as great CG movies like the Ice Age franchise. You could have lots of cartoony colour and interesting environments, fast-paced over-the-top action, all sorts of fun characters, and a nice amount of humour to help make things really enjoyable. A movie that really does justice to what made Sonic so special in the early days.

I know a Sonic movie would never be aimed directly at my age group who have nostalgia for 90s Sonic, but I have a feeling that lots of kids won't like the look and vibe of this movie. I think it looks absolutely terrible, so it will be interesting to see what the critics say, and if kids end up liking it.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        wod have liked a design more like Shuna Sassi, for the spikes lol
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-05-2019, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I'd have been quite interested if it were a completely CG movie with a Japanese vibe. I've never liked seeing Sonic and co in real world settings. Cartoon characters wandering around the real world with humans doesn't appeal to me.
          Pretty sure there was a 90s animated Sonic movie that was sort of like that.

Comment

Literally every cutscene in a Sonic game, every cartoon series and even the E3 werewolf special they made ably demonstrates how to do a Sonic film. You only get to this incarnation of the character if you have literally no understanding of the property or are wilfully attempting to crash the film.

Comment

How is this even a thing? Astonishing.

Comment

...I know a Sonic movie would never be aimed directly at my age group who have nostalgia for 90s Sonic,
                Y'know what? Years ago I might've thought that, but now we have the Marvel movies, I'm coming around to the idea that we shouldn't put up with this crap anymore under the auspices of "it's not for my generation". A Sonic movie shouldn't alienate the Sonic fans; it doesn't have to be slavishly the same, but this seems to have been made with absolute disregard for anyone's pre-existing love for the character.

Marvel fans got a fair interpretation of Iron Man. Detective Pikachu looks great. It's 2019 and the bar is higher now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Y'know what? Years ago I might've thought that, but now we have the Marvel movies, I'm coming around to the idea that we shouldn't put up with this crap anymore under the auspices of "it's not for my generation". A Sonic movie shouldn't alienate the Sonic fans; it doesn't have to be slavishly the same, but this seems to have been made with absolute disregard for anyone's pre-existing love for the character.

Marvel fans got a fair interpretation of Iron Man. Detective Pikachu looks great. It's 2019 and the bar is higher now.
                  I don't agree in principal, in the sense that I think pandering to old men on something like this is the absolute worst thing they could do and I think older people really need to come to terms with the fact that some things just aren't for them any more. And Sonic of all things has somehow managed to stay relevant and popular to young people even when iterations are derided by us.

But this looks terrible for everyone, new audience or not, kids or not. It just looks bad and, yeah, everyone should expect better.

Comment

Imagine if the original Sonic creators were working with the creators of the Ice Age movies. A collaboration like that could maybe work really well. I really think a Sonic movie could work well if it aimed to be in the same league as great CG movies like the Ice Age franchise. You could have lots of cartoony colour and interesting environments, fast-paced over-the-top action, all sorts of fun characters, and a nice amount of humour to help make things really enjoyable. A movie that really does justice to what made Sonic so special in the early days.

I know a Sonic movie would never be aimed directly at my age group who have nostalgia for 90s Sonic, but I have a feeling that lots of kids won't like the look and vibe of this movie. I think it looks absolutely terrible, so it will be interesting to see what the critics say, and if kids end up liking it.

Revenge of Shinobi is my fav Sega MD game. Panzer Dragoon is my fav IP, TA my fav Sega developer and Strider my all time fav design, for a video game character. Sonic isn't the top of the list at all. But it's a SEGA film and I don't think (other than the design of Sonic ) it looks too bad. I hope there are nice action long action sequences like the brief glimpse of the desert fight in the clip
                    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-05-2019, 15:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      A Sonic movie shouldn't alienate the Sonic fans; it doesn't have to be slavishly the same, but this seems to have been made with absolute disregard for anyone's pre-existing love for the character.
                      Yeah, it should celebrate the character in a brilliant, joyful way. It should put a smile on the faces of all ages. That's what the best CG movies do. I really think a Sonic movie could work brilliantly if it were purely CG in the same vein as something like Ice Age.

There are plenty of CG movies aimed at children but with enough creative flair to also make them enjoyable for adults. It's what they call 'family entertainment' and it can be very lucrative.

I don't think a Sonic movie should necessarily try to ape 90s or modern Sonic. It should simply be inspired by what makes the Sonic universe so attractive, fun and compelling. It's perfectly suited to being a top quality CG movie aimed at a family audience. So not strictly aimed at small children, but more about being a charming and exciting experience that all ages could appreciate.

What we have instead is a jarring mix of cartoon character in a real world setting. The whole concept feels cheap and misguided. It all feels ridiculously terrible -- and I don't think that's simply down to me being an adult. The way Sonic looks, Jim Carrey as Robotnik, and the overall look and vibe of the movie just feels really poor. It's amazingly bad.

Of course, maybe the movie will manage to lure people into the cinema, so it could make its money back. But all the negativity surrounding it might put lots of adults off taking their kids to watch it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      But this looks terrible for everyone, new audience or not, kids or not. It just looks bad and, yeah, everyone should expect better.
                      Yeah, there's no reason why it should be this bad. It's not like the Sonic concept and universe isn't ripe material for an exciting CG movie. I think talented people could have managed to create a Sonic movie that offers an entertaining, uplifting experience for all ages. What we have instead is a truly repulsive creation that will probably disgust child and adult alike.

I can imagine a Sonic CG movie that would stand up visually and creatively. I really think it wouldn't be difficult to take the source material and craft a thoroughly entertaining movie. Talented writers and artists could do wonders.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-05-2019, 16:07.

Comment

TA I reckon you’d buy a Sega carpet.

This film does look simply very bad. It’s a shame, as it’s obviously had a lot of money and hard work poured into it. Big name actors, lavish CGI set pieces. It doesn’t come easy or cheap. But it looks like they took it in the wrong direction from the very beginning.

Comment

Yeah, there's no reason why it should be this bad.
                          Yep. I realised after posting that I was essentially agreeing with Asura but was getting there a different way so not sure now that I should have posted at all. But I think most of us are in agreement on this part. I think a jarring mix of cartoon character in a real world setting might even work... just not... this.

The only thing is, like I said, I had a negative reaction to Paddington and that turned out great. Who knows? But I will most likely never like this because Carrey just doing Carrey.

Comment

I was never gonna go see a Sonic movie, anyway. I was 16 when Sonic 1 came out and moody, into Depeche Mode, it was always a kiddie thing. The game was...OK. Nice-looking but OK.

I'd say the trailer reminded me of Garfield a bit but the Sonic fx look way more dated. But like I say, never gonna watch it. No interest.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              I was never gonna go see a Sonic movie, anyway. I was 16 when Sonic 1 came out and moody, into Depeche Mode, it was always a kiddie thing. The game was...OK. Nice-looking but OK.
                              Well then to help understand the reaction, picture if they made a Depeche Mode movie and Depeche Mode was in CG with realistic fur for some reason and Jim Carrey was doing his awful 90s schtick in it. How would you feel then?

Comment

This has all the hallmarks of an out of touch baby boomer studio executive having too much involvement with a property he doesn't understand. His knowledge of video-games probably doesn't extend beyond a vague memory of his children playing sonic on one of them new fandangled Mega-wotsit.

Comment

Working...
                                X