Digital Stream: Television News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    The same is true for me, being honest. But it's really important to keep in mind that, while every country no doubt has its own racist baggage, the US baggage is very different to the UK baggage and, in the context of US history, it's obvious that many find that racial stereotyping to be out of date and, yeah, straight out racist. And as a white guy from a whole different country with a different history, it would be wrong of me to say they're wrong.
    Yeah; something I'm always cautious to remember is that the UK has racism issues, the US has racism issues, but they are not the same issues. I mean racism's awful and obviously the core of what racism is matches up the world over, but it'd be wrong to conflate them.

Being British, me suggesting an American company shouldn't edit its movies due to their their racist themes is no different to when you see those Americans on Twitter and Tumblr who conflate their racial politics with the British; it comes off as ignorant unless they're pretty knowledgeable about the matter. I'm not an expert in the social sciences by any stretch.

That being said, you'd think Disney might do both cuts - like a cut version on their "kids" service (like Netflix) and an uncut version available on the adults service; though some people would probably say they're profiting from it in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      I'm definitely curious to see the cuts. Some of these are going to be hard to do without butchering the films and outside of the films themselves Disney is deeply invested in mining the properties so it can backfire very easily for them. It's easier with stuff like Song of the South where the whole product has a question mark hanging over it but picking and choosing is a minefield.

Aristocats! That one too
      Oh there are loads and, as you say, probably more coming up. They edit quite a bit for various other reasons (remember the crocodile song on The Lion King, for example) so they are well used to this but, yeah, some that are more integral to the film will get very challenging. I don't think it can backfire necessarily - I suspect you're constantly thinking of adult guys who bottom line aren't the target - but there will come a point with some films where the changes may be very costly. I have a suspicion that few of the animated classics will get Song of the Southed though. They'll try to keep as many of those as they can with whatever amendments are needed because they bring in revenue every single generation and feed merch, Disneyland and so on. So even if not a shred of the original films remain in 200 years time, I reckon they'll keep on putting them out.

I watched Dumbo a few years ago and, even without any racism, it's a pretty horrific film. And it was made in 1941. That's a LONG time ago so it should come as absolutely no surprise that sensibilities are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        It's possible but I'm guessing Disney will go global with their edits just for ease. While there will no doubt be complaints and clickbait and plenty of YouTube rants, there won't be an outcry from the kids Disney are doing it for. Thing is, this happens all the time. Content is retired and buried every decade. It's the fact that these films still have relevance that makes them the exception. And until Disney are only selling to adult collectors rather than actual children, we're going to see more rather than less of this.
        That's the thing. The DVD/BD releases of WB's wartime propaganda cartoons are presented in an entirely documentary-like manner, pitched at those who have an interest in the part those cartoons played in the history of media and their general impact on World War 2. They're very much not aimed at kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          That's the thing. The DVD/BD releases of WB's wartime propaganda cartoons are presented in an entirely documentary-like manner, pitched at those who have an interest in the part those cartoons played in the history of media and their general impact on World War 2. They're very much not aimed at kids.
          Yep. And it's not unreasonable to suggest that Disney could do expensive physical media sets of their uncut films at certain points for collectors (probably at vastly inflated prices) but we won't see them on a Disney+ service or on DVD at Tesco. Their core market is still kids after all these years.

Comment

I think that's part of the wire Disney walks. A large part of their target audience is kids but I'd wager the larger volume of their market is adults, them being quite unique in the way they profit from their brands. It's why they're able to shift such volumes of Bambi, Pooh, Dumbo etc merchandise year after year without any new output made on them. Disney's marketing to kids is a bit like Lucas making the Prequels for kids, they're a conveyor belt of incoming fans but the 15+ bracket will be the one they profit most on

Comment

No, it's not the same thing. You need to consider how many generations Disney have managed to do this for. They are like a corporate cult and that starts at birth essentially. An adult fan angry that their racist movie isn't racist anymore won't make the slightest dent in that. Disney focus on kids precisely because they know then that they have them for life. And they do.

Angry adult males have a vastly inflated view of their own importance and, in this case, they're not remotely relevant.

Comment

I'd imagine it's more significantly angry adult females who'll object, the angry adult males will all still be too busy micro-analysing Episode IX

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-w...-of-the-south/Additionally, Dumbo will be cut down to remove the crows.
                  Just replace them with walkie-talkies.

Comment

It would be funny if Disney+ pulled a Netflix and had adult/child profiles, with the uncut film available to the adult profiles.

Comment

Netflix has made it official and cancelled its darkly comedic series “Santa Clarita Diet” after three seasons. Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant, Liv Hewson and Skylar Gisondo lead the cast of the series about husband and wife realtors whose life becomes a bit different after she dies and becomes filled with undead hunger…but in a good […]

Netflix has cancelled Santa Clarita Diet

Netflix has set a June 21st premiere date for the second season of its original series “Dark” and simultaneously released the first trailer which you can see below. Shot and produced in Germany, the sinister tale follows children vanishing, perhaps even being swallowed by the Earth itself, in a small town situated in Germany. The […]

And announced a 21 July launch for Dark: Season 2

Comment

CBS All Access has renewed the Jordan Peele-hosted “The Twilight Zone” anthology series reboot for a second season. Ike Barinholtz, John Cho, Taissa Farmiga, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kumail Nanjiani, Chris O’Dowd, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott, Jacob Tremblay, and Steven Yeun among others guest star in the ten self-contained episodes that constitute the first season. Episode one […]

CBS All Access has greenlit The Twilight Zone: Season 2

Comment

A new study in the US has suggested that teen suicide rates spiked in the wake of Netflix's 13 Reason's Why

Comment

YouTube has renewed its popular and acclaimed “Karate Kid” sequel series “Cobra Kai” for a third season, in addition also handing out a third season renewal for Kevin Hart’s “What the Fit”. Both will premiere their new seasons in 2020 bia two options – ad-free SVOD viewing on YouTube Premium, or ad-supported free viewing. From […]

Youtube have greenlit Cobra Kai: Season 3

Comment

Charlie’s Angels Sony Pictures has debuted the official new logo for the upcoming Elizabeth Banks-directed “Charlie’s Angels” revival film. Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska star in this new take which continues on from the previous TV series and film incarnations with the Townsend agency now having expanded to a global security force. Noah […]

Geena Davis has joined the cast for She-Ra and the Princess of Power: Season 3 which launches 02 August 2019 on Netlfix

Comment

Disney has taken full control of Hulu. It will buy Comcast’s 33% stake in the business for at least US$9.2bn within the next five years. That's a lot of money!

It also means Disney owns a competitor to its own Disney+ but I guess in a split digital platform world where bundling is going to become essential there is a certain amount of sense in that.

Comment

Working...
                                X