• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 088: Broken Sword

That goat... that bloody goat...

Mainline Entry 01 - Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars
    Formats:
    Multiple
    Developed by Revolution Software, players took on the role of George Stobbart as he uncovered a conspiracy in a relatively grounded point and click adventure. The functionality of the game is as you'd expect but it was notable for its clean animated visual style and voice acting. It was an amazing success considering its genre, platforms of release and that it emerged in the dawn of the 3D era allowing a surprise franchise to be born.

Mainline Entry 02 - Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
    Formats:
    Multiple
    Though not as highly rated as the original this sequel was also a hit in a similar manner. Set six months after the first game, this sequel is largely more of the same telling another adventure with George and Nico.

Mainline Entry 03 - Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
    Formats:
    PC, Xbox and Playstation 2
    The third game took the steps into the 3D era with new visuals and a push to make it more cinematic. It was a gamble that paid off to strong reviews and solid sales despite the change to the player having greater direct control over the gameplay.

Mainline Entry 04 - Broken Sword: The Angel of Death
    Formats:
    PC
    The least experienced entry had Sumo Digital help out and remains limited to just the PC. The hope was that the game would flourish through not having to adhere to having consoles in mind given how increasingly small that market had become for point and clicks. To some extent it worked as the game was again well received but the limited audience once again saw the numbers slip in spite of good reviews.

Mainline Entry 05 - Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
    Formats:
    Multiple
    Increasingly hard to mount projects such as this, fan demand inspired a Kickstarter effort that saw a fifth entry finally enter development. Returning to the 2D visuals of the first two games as well as the full p&p interface, the new game recreated the early adventures look but using some pre-rendering. Originally released in two instalments it has later been merged into one release. Reviews were weaker than past entries but fans were pleased to have George back. As things stand there is no sixth game but Revolution remains open to the idea.

Share your thoughts and memories of Broken Sword

"Paris in the fall..."

Broken Sword is my favourite point and click series of all time. The intro for Broken Sword 1 is brilliant, it really sets the stage for the rest of the game. I love the sequel as well although I did get stumped for a while by a glitch in the art gallery! The third was ugly, dreary and starts off with box puzzels iirc. I played ten minutes of 4 and called it a day. I only played through 5 earlier this year and consider it a complete return to form. It was everything I wanted out of a Broken Sword game and seeing the goat be so friendly with Nico really got a real chuckle out of me

1, 2 and 5 had me reading up on history related to the backstory of each game the moment I finished them. I've always appreciated that about the series.

Comment

I was surprised that such a popular PlayStation game didn't appear on the Classic machine. I've never played a Broken Sword game, but I know lots of people really loved the series back in the day. I was quite tempted to try them, but they're not really my cup of tea.

Comment

I really enjoyed the original and only played the first hour or so of the sequel, I have the whole series on PC but the slow nature means I never get around to working through the franchise. For the genre though it's such an immediate go to reference point and staggering that it found success on consoles.

Clue for 089 - A Boy in the world of monsters

Comment

Releasing them on the Playstation was a great move. No one on my street had a PC at the time but everyone had a Playstation and we all played Broken Sword.

Comment

I was a huge fan of point & clickers but never got round to playing the Broken Sword games for some reason. Maybe it was the thought of playing such a game with a controller ... but it sounds like I missed out on a couple of decent games.

Comment

I really should have replied to this right away but all I could think of to say is that those first two games are stone cold point and click classics.

Comment

I've had 5 on the Vita for ages and that seems a great combination, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Comment

I’m tempted to give the first a try. I had the trailer on a demo disc at the time and watched it multiple times. It was really cool.

Maybe I’ll give the iOS port a go, has anyone tried it?

Comment

Working...
                  X