Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best looking 3D Saturn game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the best looking 3D Saturn game?

As title; this is something I was thinking about when replying about Dark Savior in another thread.

The Saturn was a 2D powerhouse, but what was its best-looking 3D game?

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    but what was its best-looking 3D game?
    The 3D Saturn games that impressed me the most were Panzer Dragoon and the sequel Zwei.

Sega Rally and Sonic R were also quite stunning.

Burning Rangers really pushes the hardware, so that's in with a shout.

I'd probably choose Zwei because it really did blow me away. I haven't played Saga, so that might be even more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      The 3D Saturn games that impressed me the most were Panzer Dragoon and the sequel Zwei.

Sega Rally and Sonic R were also quite stunning.

Burning Rangers really pushes the hardware, so that's in with a shout.

I'd probably choose Zwei because it really did blow me away. I haven't played Saga, so that might be even more impressive.
      Zwei's got to be close to the top of anyone's list. It was a real marvel, technically, but also in terms of style.

Comment

but also in terms of style.
        Yeah, the art style is both beautiful and haunting. The craft and skill that went into creating the game world is very impressive. So "best looking" in my book isn't just about technical brilliance, but also about overall style and creativity.

Comment

I always thought Mass Destruction was impressive, particularly the flame/flamethrower effects which reflected over water (PS1 version also had slowdown the Saturn version didn't). I guess it's not a 'proper' 3D game though.

Comment

Heart says Zwei, but head would say Raidant Silvergun, Decathlete or maybe Virtua Cop II

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
              I always thought Mass Destruction was impressive, particularly the flame/flamethrower effects which reflected over water (PS1 version also had slowdown the Saturn version didn't). I guess it's not a 'proper' 3D game though.
              I think it is; I mean if you start splitting hairs, you'll struggle to find many Saturn games that do qualify. Dark Savior is 2D/3D. There are many sprite-based elements in Panzer Dragoon & Zwei. Even Virtua Fighter 2 has 2D backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Decathlete
                I think this worth a mention due to how technically proficient it still looks. Decathlete (though it'll always be Athlete Kings to me) was just so "solid". It reminds me, oddly enough, of Mario 64. PS1 and Saturn games are plagued with really glitchy graphics, especially in the era the Saturn was around, due to the machines lacking proper perspective-correction. Yet Decathelete had those wonderful high-res, 60fps graphics that almost look like a Dreamcast game.

EDIT: I mean seriously:

Stack that up against the rest of the Saturn's 3D library. It looks like something from a totally different machine!
                Last edited by Asura; 14-05-2019, 17:49.

Comment

I think it is; I mean if you start splitting hairs, you'll struggle to find many Saturn games that do qualify. Dark Savior is 2D/3D. There are many sprite-based elements in Panzer Dragoon & Zwei. Even Virtua Fighter 2 has 2D backgrounds.
                  That's being a little unfair, 2D assets are used in today's games (like for the fans in F1 or Forza) never mind back then, like how the tree's in Mario 64 are 2D

Decathlete (though it'll always be Athlete Kings to me) was just so "solid". It reminds me, oddly enough, of Mario 64. PS1 and Saturn games are plagued with really glitchy graphics, especially in the era the Saturn was around, due to the machines lacking proper perspective-correction. Yet Decathelete had those wonderful high-res, 60fps graphics that almost look like a Dreamcast game
                  I think it was some of the best use of the Saturn hardware around and put a lot of PS sports games to shame. The main characters had that lovely Model 2 look to them and the whole game ran at a rock solid 60 all in 704X480 quite incredible really. I also thought Die Hard Arcade looked stunning with solid characters and environments and super texture mapping.

Comment

Yeah, my bad - for some reason in my head I was thinking more of games that have full 3D worlds and associated movement as opposed to just 3D rendering. Disregard Thinking about it though, Quake on Saturn was a fantastic port, so I'll throw that one out there.

Comment

Panzer Dragoon Saga Shelcoof.

Game starts out a bit shabby by the end it's Jesus Playstation is smoked compared to this.

PS excellent topic they are out there, the high res games look snazzy.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 14-05-2019, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        That's being a little unfair, 2D assets are used in today's games (like for the fans in F1 or Forza) never mind back then, like how the tree's in Mario 64 are 2D
                        I guess I wasn't clear - I actually meant that you shouldn't disregard games like Dark Savior just because they had a lot of 2D elements, mainly because, as you state, most videogames have some 2D elements and it's difficult to know where to draw the line.

Comment

There are a few contenders, and some which run a solid 60fps in hi-res mode such as Virtua Fighter 2 and Stellar Assault SS. But for me the best tour de force has to be Radiant Silvergun, which manages to have the best 3D graphics, the best 2D graphics, and the best FMV on the Saturn all at once. Whilst other games might have similarly impressive equivalents on the PlayStation, I believe the Saturn’s particular strengths shine more brightly with RSG, as the 2.5D shmups for the PSX such as Einhander and R-Type Delta, whilst looking great in their own right, aren’t a patch on RSG graphically.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            There are a few contenders, and some which run a solid 60fps in hi-res mode such as Virtua Fighter 2 and Stellar Assault SS. But for me the best tour de force has to be Radiant Silvergun, which manages to have the best 3D graphics, the best 2D graphics, and the best FMV on the Saturn all at once. Whilst other games might have similarly impressive equivalents on the PlayStation, I believe the Saturn’s particular strengths shine more brightly with RSG, as the 2.5D shmups for the PSX such as Einhander and R-Type Delta, whilst looking great in their own right, aren’t a patch on RSG graphically.
                            Yeah RSG is a true showcase for the system and its also like a big Two-finger salute from Treasure to show Saturn doubters and poor developers, what the system could do

I remember an interview with Treasure who said that after a few months work on the planned port of RSG to the PS, they gave up because it didn't meet their expectations and run poorly. The PS always had issues when trying to emulate the VDP II of the Saturn, Just play the likes of Street Racer, Thunder Force IV, Mass Effect, Dead Or Alive or Souky to find that out. Quite clear in videos like this,the PS had issues when trying to emu the VDP II of Saturn

I would say that Grandia displayed the best FMV on the Saturn mind, fab use of True Motion and running in a semi-high res widow too

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear - I actually meant that you shouldn't disregard games like Dark Savior just because they had a lot of 2D elements, mainly because, as you state, most videogames have some 2D elements and it's difficult to know where to draw the line.
                              I use too get a little bored of the likes of EDGE going on about the use of 2D backgrounds in VF 2 on the Saturn to hide the lack of polygons while loving the gfx in Tekken 2 (which had a 2D background, which didn't even scale in or out) and the press went wild when Tekken 3 on the PS managed to scale in/out a single background

Comment

Working...
                              X