Avengers: Endgame (spoilers thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damnit, I've started thinking about it.

So War Machine and Nebula travel back to 2014 to beat Quail to the stone.

WM returns, Nebula gets caught.

Evil young Nebula returns to now using the bracelet McGuffin.

How does Thanos and his entire armada get to now from 2014?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Damnit, I've started thinking about it.

So War Machine and Nebula travel back to 2014 to beat Quail to the stone.

WM returns, Nebula gets caught.

Evil young Nebula returns to now using the bracelet McGuffin.

How does Thanos and his entire armada get to now from 2014?
      If I remember correctly, Nebula brought the, through the gate, didn’t she? I think we see that. If my memory is right (might not be), we see that main Thanos ship grow in size as it appears so the volume of what is being brought through doesn’t matter. Which makes sense because the process happens at a subatomic size.

Comment

Also, I didn't like the way they spoke to Ant-Man.

Without him, nothing would have happened and they'd still be running self-help groups or eating peanut butter sandwiches.

Comment

Also, why is Tony Stark the expert on everything ?

"Oh who knows about quantum physics? Tony!"

Banner, an actual scientist, admits it's not his area of expertise, but Stark can build guns and armour and AI and sentient robots and develop quantum-level time travel.

Comment

New Spidey trailer.

A. Looks really good.
            B. Spoils Endgame if you haven't seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              B. Spoils Endgame if you haven't seen it.
              To a degree it did that with the prior trailer. They really should've waited to announce it after Endgame; then again it's Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                To a degree it did that with the prior trailer. They really should've waited to announce it after Endgame; then again it's Sony.
                Well it's not like ANYONE thought Spider-Man wasn't coming back so I didn't mind the last trailer because it gave us absolutely no context. Weirdly when I saw this one had spoilers I thought, what is there even to spoil? And then watched the trailer and instantly thought, oh yeah, that. Also...

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                All that "which alternate continuity is this?" is for DC's live-action offerings. Marvel need to stay the hell away from that.
                I agreed with you on this and it looks like we're getting it.

Probably for the main Marvel thread but this might just be the first Marvel trailer that I actually disliked. The movie seems to be going further away from what Homecoming brought and towards generic Marvel movie. It doesn't look great to me. But it's just a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I agreed with you on this and it looks like we're getting it.
                  Yeah, and it's a shame. It's marginally better than some other efforts as the events of Endgame have provided an in-universe explanation for it, but I'm still not a fan.

I think this is because they're trying to do with the MCU what was done with the comics, and interestingly, they already had a clue for this in Thor 2 - when they go to fetch the scientist guy, he's in an asylum scrawling stuff on a blackboard, and his rantings are about the Marvel parallel universes. I think on the board there's a big bit which says "EARTH 616?!?" which is circled, which was something of a clue.

In the Marvel comics, the different timelines take place in different, numbered, alternate realities. So the MCU is one reality, the prime comics timeline is another, and even our real-life Earth is another.

I suspect they're planning (or accounting) for three things:

1) The idea that the existing MCU has meshed really well, but it's hard to imagine that will continue, and they probably want a get-out to be able to make stuff which can't exist - or, if they make a bad movie, they can reshoot some scenes and say that's outside the prime timeline.
                  2) Maintain consistency with the Sony brand, which isn't under their control - the Venom movies, the new Blade movie, and Spider-Man.
                  3) Explain the Fox stuff. If they expand the MCU to alternate universes, Disney can brand things like Deadpool under the MCU banner, because they've established the brand takes place over multiple parallel realities of which Deadpool is one, and the X-Men movies are another, ****ter one.

Comment

Gwyneth Iron Lady is one of the most crease up things ive seen, we've got this giant army but you know what we need one more person....pepper can you get a baby sitter?

Comment

I'm on the side that I preferred this trailer for Spider-Man to the first. Homecoming has always felt somewhat bland and just kind of there whereas this trailer felt like it makes the sequel much more relevant to what's going on, thereby making its events more important. I did stumble a little at the mention of parallel worlds though. My immediate thought was 'well, there's how the X-Men will come into this' but also it feels like the MCU is aiming to bite off more than it can chew coming off Endgame. Some of its elegance comes from its relative simplicity which gets threatened the more time travel and timelines and multiverses etc come into it.

Comment

I’m not convinced important is always a good thing and it certainly doesn’t seem sustainable. You get into Fast and Furious territory there with each movie having to one-up the last rather than allowing some movies to be big and some to be small, which I think is a factor in how the Marvel movies have got this far. I reckon things need to be allowed to shrink and settle after the huge event of Infinity War and Endgame.

Comment

True but with Spider-Man I feel the character needs that element of push behind him otherwise he's bland or at best a retread of the previous two incarnations. Personally, I'm doubtful that Sony will class Morbius or Venom as being in alternate universes as it's needlessly complicating things, I imagine the push to introduce the multiverse is more to spin $$$ from the success of Spiderverse and allow future Spider-Man films to explore all sorts of massive threats and scenarios whilst remaining canon to the MCU but without having an impact on what Marvel does with the other franchises.

Comment

The difficulty with the multiverse thing is that, as we've touched on, it's an out for everything. Want to bring a dead person back? Multiverse. Want to undo a story point? Multiverse. Want to do anything at all? Multiverse. And this is already in a series of films that, really, have shown little by way of any consequences. That's true to comics of course but it's also one very clear reason why I'm really not into superhero comics.

Like how many times has Loki died now? Too many. Nobody stays dead as it is and it's not like they have even scratched the surface of what the MCU has to offer in just one universe so it just feels to me like it's too early for a multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Like how many times has Loki died now? Too many. Nobody stays dead as it is and it's not like they have even scratched the surface of what the MCU has to offer in just one universe so it just feels to me like it's too early for a multiverse.
                              "Nobody stays dead, except for Bruce Wayne's parents and Uncle Ben."

Comment

Definitely, one of the big failings of Infinity War and Endgame is definitely consequence. The actual final death count is pretty low and even then the MCU has provided itself with get out clauses that by the looks are unnecessary. Though massive hits, they pull their punches which is a big precedent to set

Comment

Working...
                                X