What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    So my question is, have you ever read a book that has spooked you in the same way that a movie has?
    Yes, but when I was younger; The Shining (mainly the smothering atmosphere) and Salem's Lot both scared me. They absolutely wouldn't have the same effect now ... but I still love reading Stephen King. But as for what can scare me: Film - yes, game - definitely, book - not so sure.

Comment

Have you ever read a book that has spooked you in the same way that a movie has?
      Funnily enough I read Bambi late last year or early this year and the description and depiction of MAN is terrifying in it.

Comment

Audiobooks are great.
        Every day I have a 30 commute, so I have an hour of escapism, rather than listening to the radio which is alternatively bad music, bad chatter or bad adverts!
        EDIT: I should point out that I drive - reading books whilst driving is frowned upon.

I'm one of those people who can happily watch the film first, because you get the impact of the visuals and sound and read the book afterwards. It's like watching an extended cut with even more world to explore.

I just think horror is a primarily visual genre, but happy to be proved wrong!
        HOLD the BOOK.

HOOOOOOOOLD THE BOOOOOOOK.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD.

THE BOOOOOOOOOOK.

Comment

Audiobooks are great.
          Every day I have a 30 commute, so I have an hour of escapism, rather than listening to the radio which is alternatively bad music, bad chatter or bad adverts!
          EDIT: I should point out that I drive - reading books whilst driving is frowned upon.

I'm one of those people who can happily watch the film first, because you get the impact of the visuals and sound and read the book afterwards. It's like watching an extended cut with even more world to explore.

I just think horror is a primarily visual genre, but happy to be proved wrong!
          Give HP Lovecraft a go. They are generally slow burners but amongst my favourite reads. Hmm, might go back and re-read it's been many years!!

Comment

I tried "At The Mountains of Madness" as I was told it was fairly accessible, but I found it monotonous, to be honest.

They get there, then it goes around in circles:
            "We couldn't believe what we had found! Man cannot comprehend the ancient horrors we had found!"

Comment

There are some good stories but some are a hard slog. I have been dipping in and out of a collection over the last year between books but got totally bored with a really long dream story that’s just a bunch of descriptions. I can’t remember the names of the ones I like but I think The Dunwich Horror was one of them, if it’s the one I think it is. I find with Lovecraft that often the shorter ones are the good ones. Or at least they are less of a commitment if they turn out to be poor.

Comment

Conan Doyle’s Tales of Unease is a neat collection of short stories. I enjoyed every one.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  HOLD the BOOK.

HOOOOOOOOLD THE BOOOOOOOK.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD.

THE BOOOOOOOOOOK.
                  Hodor

Comment

Just finished White Butterfly , makes me wanna install Mafia 3*, deffo gonna be reading more Walter Mosley, he's great, dug out my old 10p movie tie-in copy of Devil In A Blue Dress, will read that after I've finished The Stainless Steel Rat , which I intend to start tonite if it goes quiet...tho it's a pivotal Leeds match so my place will likely be rammed with horrible, drunken, obnoxious casualties...and it shall be hell and I'm fookin dreading it if we lose, they'll be fighting in lumps in the pubs. Worst case scenario. Jesus H.

(*set in same place around same time)

Anyway:

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    Hodor
                    Bokor.

Comment

Liking the sound of Walter Mosley's books ... might have to give one a try.

Comment

It's very noir but with a vivid sense of colour, light and location. Juicy and gritty and mean.

Comment

Just finished White Butterfly , makes me wanna install Mafia 3*, deffo gonna be reading more Walter Mosley, he's great, dug out my old 10p movie tie-in copy of Devil In A Blue Dress, will read that after I've finished The Stainless Steel Rat , which I intend to start tonite if it goes quiet...tho it's a pivotal Leeds match so my place will likely be rammed with horrible, drunken, obnoxious casualties...and it shall be hell and I'm fookin dreading it if we lose, they'll be fighting in lumps in the pubs. Worst case scenario. Jesus H.

(*set in same place around same time)

Anyway:

Bokor.
                          Jimmy’s boys do love turning every football match into a recreation of the Battle of the Somme.

Comment

3-2 Derby so far with about half hour to go!

Comment

3-2 Derby so far with about half hour to go!
                              I’m watching, been a good gsme!

Comment

Derby winning, your place gonna be a MASH camp

Comment

Working...
                                X