Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is bizarre given they never really wanted to even hold a referendum in the first place.

If Boris gets in then I suppose the last question is how much does he actually, truly, believe in No Deal. He's always carried the impression that he was pro-Brexit more out of personal ambition than true belief

Comment

Boris Johnson December 2018:
      "Those who say that it’s impossible to get a better deal from the EU than Theresa May’s deal - that the EU has rules as immutable as those of the Medes and the Persians - have obviously never seen the horse trading and back room compromises that characterise every EU summit.

What is different about this negotiation is one simple fact: the EU believed that despite her ‘No Deal is Better than a Bad Deal’ rhetoric, Theresa May was desperate for a deal at any price. Once those with whom you are negotiating believe that, then it simply becomes a matter of how long they want to make their Christmas list.

Once the EU realises that they have overplayed their hand & Parliament won’t wear this shameful surrender, they will be faced with a choice: do a proper & equitable deal or split without a deal - a prospect that they don’t relish, not least as they lose all leverage over us."

Boris Johnson December 2019:
      "I spoke with those picaninnies and letterbox-faced burglars in Europe and they won't renegotiate anything other than a no-deal Brexit. I blame Theresa May and the EU.
      The fact I said I could at the time of the referendum is neither here nor there."

Comment

if 76% of the Tory party want no deal then no doubt Johnson will come out guns blazing and really push a no deal as his main option as his first order of business. I fully expect him to come at it from the stance of "we are not being dictated to by Europe anymore if they don't give in to all our demands its bye bye divorce bill and any agreements"

Europe will then be forced into border checks in Ireland and an unknown situation regarding the rights of British citizens living in Europe so basically the situation will be a mess but the press will spin it as nasty EU dictating to us and trying to blackmail us, and Johnson is standing up to them.

Comment

Comment

Johnson flaps with the wind - if, as expected, Farage's Bexit party wins a lot of MEP seats, he'll flap even harder to the right.

Comment

Johnson also has to be willing to be the man to willingly burn the Good Friday agreement and everything that follows that

Comment

Graham Brady has stepped down as chair of the 1922 Committee... to run for PM

Comment

Johnson told a conference in Interlaken in Switzerland: “We will leave the EU on 31 October, deal or no deal.”

So there you have it, if BJ is PM it's NDB.

Comment

Potentially, Britain and the US led by a straw-blonde right wing penis-in-a-suit.

Future generations will look back and think we must have been out of our minds.

One thing that dominates discourse amongst the hardliners is this notion that Brexit means ‘everybody voted to leave and it’s not that difficult.’ Some bell on 5Live was ranting a similar, tired simpleton’s yarn near 6pm this evening. No, everybody did NOT vote to leave. A slim majority did. And this majority were NOT frothing at the mouth hardline no-dealers.

Politics is about compromise and the views of millions of remainers - and the millions of leavers who don’t want to pull the plug with no deal - should not be replaced by the ravings of these people. We have a strange situation, whereby on the one hand, the tyranny by the majority of the minority characterises the decision to leave, but the tyranny of the tiny minority of hardliners over the subtle shades of the leaver and remainer majority threatens to bum us out real good.
                    Last edited by prinnysquad; 24-05-2019, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      Johnson told a conference in Interlaken in Switzerland: “We will leave the EU on 31 October, deal or no deal.”

So there you have it, if BJ is PM it's NDB.
                      I told Switzerland we wouldn’t be leaving the EU at all and I said it with as much authority as Boris but no one reporting in it!

Comment

Playing this out if Boris or a No Dealer gets the role of PM:

Are we likely to see a rerun of May's early deal phases? I assume Labour can call a vote of no confidence in government if they suspect there's a No Deal play at works? Even if Boris supports No Deal he has to come back to Parliament with something as the change of PM doesn't fundamentally change anything so presumably he's already in a bad position as all he can do is humiliate himself by returning with... May's deal?

There's surely some sort of path the other parties and the elements of parliament that have made clear don't support No Deal can deploy given the PM they'll be likely facing? It seems daft to get a new PM that disagrees with the directions of their predecessor and gets to do what they want when deviating from their predecessors actions means they are instantly acting without a mandate

Comment

I thought we’d “ruled out” no deal?

Comment

It sounds like I'm repeating myself again but: You cannot rule out no deal, it is the default legal position if no extension is asked for or granted.

It doesn't really matter what has passed in the House, there's no actual legally binding motion that outranks article 50 - if Boris, should he become PM wants to run the clock out for no deal, that's what he'll do. Now parliament can try a motion of no confidence, but the reality is there will be little they can do to stop the government pushing ahead with its agenda - it can be held in contempt sure, but that doesn't stop the wheels of article 50 from turning.

So no deal Brexit is still very much a reality and currently the most likely outcome.

Boris can make it look like he's trying to renegotiate, but the EU simple isn't going to budge, especially for an even harder move to the right.

Comment

Just nipped out to the shops. Every single newspaper got a picture of May blubbering outside No. 10, surrounded by quotes from colleagues praising her resolve. After years of party-political recklessness, misinformation and brinkmanship, everyone is now expected to feel sympathy. And now we get 2 months of self-interested Tory jockeying before the whole venal, misbegotten Brexit ****show resumes. I feel nauseated.

Comment

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. Totally certain he'll have the best interests of the country in mind as PM, rather than his own self-serving career agenda. Totally.

Comment

Working...
                                X