Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

To get smashed get hash......i think i might not quite remember the commercial correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        If I insisted on only ever playing 60fps games and nothing else, I'd rarely play anything. It was just because one of the developers said at an interview they didn't think it was important, that no-one cared about it and it wouldn't affect sales - which was kinda red-rag-to-a-bull for me.
        I've also voted with my wallet when a 60fps series goes 30fps(usually racing games) but I'm intrigued: did you not buy R&C because you wouldn't enjoy playing it at 30fps after playing the previous ones at 60fps, or because the developers went all PR in response to changing the frame rate?

It would be the former for me, but I refunded the first Assassin's Creed game after being asked to gently push through some women during training and never went back to the franchise. The heart just wants what the heart wants.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          I've also voted with my wallet when a 60fps series goes 30fps(usually racing games) but I'm intrigued: did you not buy R&C because you wouldn't enjoy playing it at 30fps after playing the previous ones at 60fps, or because the developers went all PR in response to changing the frame rate?

It would be the former for me, but I refunded the first Assassin's Creed game after being asked to gently push through some women during training and never went back to the franchise. The heart just wants what the heart wants.
          I don’t recall any of the other ratchets being 60fps.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            I don’t recall any of the other ratchets being 60fps.
            Yeah, I'm pretty sure the early ones were:

"Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will probably be Insomniac's last 60fps game," writes the studio's Mike Acton, who examined improved framerate and concluded that it does little to drive purchases or good reviews.

The content of the article implies that their previous games (some of them at least) were 60. Not certain about the PSP ones.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            A bit of both. Like, I might've not bought it due to the 60fps thing, but the PR thing cemented it. It was specifically because they were saying that no-one refuses to buy a game due to framerate, but I definitely consider that. Looking back, also, I think that I had recently played the PS3 version of Mass Effect 3, and the performance in that game is diabolically bad in parts of the game's second half, and way past what I would judge to be unacceptable in the final level. I was miffed about that.
            Last edited by Asura; 16-05-2019, 08:03.

Comment

Every R&C game up to A crack in time was 60fps IIRC. So that's the first 7 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Every R&C game up to A crack in time was 60fps IIRC. So that's the first 7 games.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the 60fps ratchets & 30fps ratchets, and i've completed all of them. Just shows how solid and smooth the 30fps ones are and if the game is right, frame rate just isn't an issue.

Comment

Today's contribution is the definition of an irk rather than a serious issue:

Company logo's on Start Up

Even if the game allows you to press X to skip through them, I don't need to see the publisher, developer, sound designer, game engine logos god knows how many times. Resume etc helps get you into the action faster but I'd prefer either an attract sequence or straight to title screen. The unskippable ones that go on for ages are the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Today's contribution is the definition of an irk rather than a serious issue:

Company logo's on Start Up

Even if the game allows you to press X to skip through them, I don't need to see the publisher, developer, sound designer, game engine logos god knows how many times. Resume etc helps get you into the action faster but I'd prefer either an attract sequence or straight to title screen. The unskippable ones that go on for ages are the worst.
                    Classic troll for this was the demo of the PC game Plane Crazy. When you pressed <escape> on the company logo at start-up, it would restart the demo and play the company logo again. That meant everyone who played it would probably see the logo 4 or 5 times as they hammered the escape key to skip it.

It's a bit like how Valve games have their "report bug" key as alt+f4.

Comment

I've said it before, but the PlayStation and XBox websites are just rrrrubbish.

Oooh, there's a double discount sale on!
                      Wow, that's a big list, maybe I could refine it by platform? No.
                      Maybe I could isolate the PSVR games? No.
                      Maybe if I got to the PSVR section, I can isolate games in the sale? No.
                      Maybe I could group the games by biggest discount? No.
                      Maybe I could see the most popular selections, save me the legwork? No.
                      Maybe I could group the games by price from high to low? YES
                      Oh great, so you're going to list them in the sale price order, not on full non-sale price, because that'd be stupid. No.
                      OK, well, I'll put everything in a wishlist and then look at the list when I'm on my PS4? No.
                      Well, maybe I can have more than one list so I can move purchased games into there? No.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Totally. The eShop on Switch isn't great either; its only virtues are that it loads quite quickly and it's so barebones in terms of browsing features that at least it's straightforward. Sony's site looks like it should offer powerful, flexible browsing, but it just doesn't.

I still remember when Sony took away the ability to browse for PS1 classics. Bizarre move. They still sell them! You just can't browse for them!

Comment

The Sony site sucks but it was so much easier to navigate than the PS3’s store. I think the PS4 store is better but I never use it.

I do need to load the desktop version when on my iPhone, though. The mobile site is lame.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Oooh, there's a double discount sale on!
                            Wow, that's a big list, maybe I could refine it by platform? No.
                            Maybe I could isolate the PSVR games? No.
                            Maybe if I got to the PSVR section, I can isolate games in the sale? No.
                            Maybe I could group the games by biggest discount? No.
                            Maybe I could see the most popular selections, save me the legwork? No.
                            Maybe I could group the games by price from high to low? YES
                            Oh great, so you're going to list them in the sale price order, not on full non-sale price, because that'd be stupid. No.
                            OK, well, I'll put everything in a wishlist and then look at the list when I'm on my PS4? No.
                            Well, maybe I can have more than one list so I can move purchased games into there? No.
                            Yeah, they’re really bad. The mobile apps are also poor. The only one that I feel is quite well done is the Game Pass app. It’s pretty barebones, but it’s simple to use and gets the job done. It also helps that it’s only dealing with a ~100 strong library.

Comment

It always suprises me when indie devs talk about their games doing well on Switch because the eshop seems to do so little to promote anything or make games easy to find. I don’t think it even has categories or genres. Your game could get buried in there and never found.

Comment

I think many games that have a option for the game to play itself are a irk, Many mobile games have it and i noticed MK11 and Injustice 2 have it.

And the way its set up makes me think deep down there is something wrong with the game and they knew it was going to be a grind

Comment

Working...
                                X