Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

One for the Hipsters maybe?

It’s yellow. It fits in your pocket. There’s a crank. It comes with 24 free games to get you started. Say hi to Playdate from Panic.

From Eurogamer:

"And speaking of games, Panic is adopting an unusual distribution model for its new handheld; those that opt to buy a Playdate will get a 12-game "season" with their purchase. One game will be available when the console is turned on, and a new title will unlock each week.Panic is keen to maintain an air of surprise around the titles, but has enlisted some top-tier indie talent for its first batch of games. "Some are short," it says, "some long, some are experimental, some traditional. All are fun."
    Its first offering will be Crankin's Time Travel Adventure by Katamari Damacy designer Keita Takahashi, with the likes of Zach Gage (SpellTower, Really Bad Chess), Bennett Foddy (Getting Over It), and Shaun Inman (The Last Rocket) also making games for Playdate."

Sounding more interesting?

Comment

It'll be as successful as the Intellivision Amico.

Comment

This actually sounds really interesting!

I thought the crack handle was for charging, but it actually controls some of the games.

I'd like to see how this pans out!

Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-05-2019, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
          One for the Hipsters maybe?
          Curl up the ends of my moustache and saddle up my penny farthing, I'm in.

Comment

that dose look really cool

Comment

The screen is off center and the B and A buttons are the wrong way round. My OCD says no.

Comment

Raises an eyebrow.

Doesn’t immediately hate it.

Looks at price. Year that’s dead in the water.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 23-05-2019, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  Looks at price. Year that’s dead in the water.
                  Yeah, I'm out due to that. I actually quite liked the idea as a fun novelty.

Comment

-Colour screen.
                    -Keep the crank handle, it’s a nice tactile unique thing, but make it charge the unit too.
                    -Add shoulder buttons.
                    -Games separate purchases in a custom store.
                    -£50

Perfect emu console.

Comment

I like the oddness of it however at roughly £112 it’s not a casual purchase. The fact that you download the games is a bit risky as if it goes tits up before a year is out you are stuffed, also the fact you have no idea of the games is a risk too but I do love the quirky crank controller. No backlight on the screen is a bit pants though but if the screen is of decent quality it might not be an issue. I shall watch it with interest.

Comment

Partnered with Teenage Engineering who design and sell what (to me) seem like very expensive music toys... that seem to sell. No idea if they can translate that to a game system but this thing fits right in and is very Teenage Engineering.

Comment

It’s like Wario Ware Twisted gave birth to it’s own mini game console.

In a nice way aesthetically.

Comment

Looks like a gimmicky piece of crap to me.
                            A novelty at best which will be put in the cupboard within a month of purchase.

Comment

I have the teenage engineering op-z and it’s just awesome. This looks well cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X