Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer for the very uninspiring looking Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Comment

Emma Thompson is in early talks to star opposite Emma Stone in “Cruella,” Disney’s live-action take on “101 Dalmatians” which serves as an origin story for its villainess Cruella de Vil (like “Maleficent” did for “Sleeping Beauty”). Craig Gillespie (“I, Tonya”) directs the film in which Stone plays a younger version of the character who […]

Emma Thompson is said to be in talks to join Cruella

Comment

Are these remakes getting the Mouse that cheddar cheese?

Are they still going to churn the rest of that prospective list out?

Comment

They're a bit all over the place. The quality is broadly fairly weak but the box office is all over the place from mega earner to disappointment. Largely the closest to an indicator is a measure of star power and the age of the property they're adapting. By the looks they'll make all the ones on that list and more at the current rate but burn out quickly when they exhaust the list as there's little evidence sequels to these do well as they fall out of the public conscious so fast. Aladdin and Lion King will likely be complained about but do well, Maleficent II and Lady less so. Next year Cruella feels like a question mark but I wouldn't be surprised if Mulans success rests largely on one or two markets. Bar The Little Mermaid the rest of the revealed projects list isn't inspiring either so we might be headed to saturation point already

Comment

Melissa McCarthy is reportedly in early talks to play the sea witch Ursula, the villain of the live-action adaptation of “The Little Mermaid” for Disney Pictures. Rob Marshall (“Mary Poppins Returns”) is helming the live-action take on the 1989 film which aims to “make contemporary and compelling casting choices” whilst still paying homage to the […]

As the last really highly regarded animated film they have left to adapt, Disney is reportedly lining up Melissa McCarthy to play Ursula in The Little Mermaid
            A special kind of wrong

Comment

Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of their 1998 animated hit “Mulan” is set to undergo some serious changes according to a new report at The DisInsider (via CBM). The Niki Caro-helmed project is currently in post-production. The adventure story follows a fearless young woman who masquerades as a man in order to fight Northern Invaders attacking […]

Disney are reportedly making changes to Mulan that have seen the songs replaced with instrumental versions and Mushu being changed to a phoenix

Jacob Tremblay (“Room,” “Wonder”) and Awkwafina (“Ocean’s 8,” “Crazy Rich Asians”) are in talks to join Disney’s live-action remake of the 1989 animated classic “The Little Mermaid”. Rob Marshall is helming the project based on the famed Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of a mermaid named Ariel who yearns to be human after she falls […]

Jacob Tremblay from The Room is being lined up to voice Flounder in The Little Mermaid whilst Crazy Rich Asians Awkwafina would voice Scuttle
              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 02-07-2019, 07:04.

Comment

R&B singer Halle Bailey of Chloe x Halle has been set to play Ariel in the live-action adaptation of the 1989 Disney animated classic “The Little Mermaid”. Filmmaker Rob Marshall has spent the last couple of months meeting with talent, but Bailey has reportedly been a clear front runner from the beginning. Bailey joins a […]

Youtube US act Halle Bailey has been cast as Ariel in The Little Mermaid

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  http://www.darkhorizons.com/halle-ba...ittle-mermaid/

Youtube US act Halle Bailey has been cast as Ariel in The Little Mermaid
                  The internet is going mad as they have cast a black woman when people where expecting a a red head white teenager

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    The internet is going mad as they have cast a black woman when people where expecting a a red head white teenager
                    Surely they should have hired a real life Half Fish lady ?

Wife wants to go see The Lion King in a few weeks, I am not keen though. Going to see a film i know whats going to happen and then comparing it to the original ....and I will probably feel the same after seeing Beauty and the Beast going well that was pointless.

Feel Like the movie equivalent of a Remaster rather then a Remake

Comment

The Little Mermaid is a weird one. Disney's repeatedly referred to this live action adaptation as a reimagining rather than a remake ala Aladdin.

Therefore you'd naturally think, sure then, there's going to be all sorts of changes. That's how you get stuff like Maleficent.

The trouble I guess with The Little Mermaid is that it's a publics works story so there are countless non-'89 versions of the tale and people, especially the ones this is largely made for, only care for Disney's animated version so they're going to take the view of do it as a close adaptation or don't do it at all.

Not that Disney cares though. The world will make a fuss for 5 minutes as Disney talks about the progressiveness of the films casting all whilst shilling tons of merchandise which I guarantee will focus more on the 89 white red head more than it does the new films version, then the world and Disney will forget the film ever existed just like every other remake they've made.

Comment

The world* will make a fuss for 5 minutes
                        *You misspelled 'racists'.

Comment

It'll end up like Ghostbusters I reckon. Racists will definitely fuel it and that will become the sole focus of debate but I reckon there'll be a broader disgruntlement too. Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and Little Mermaid are particularly precious amongst their eras peers of Disney output and I can imagine whatever ethnicity was cast, a lot don't want a reimagining for this particular one. It's a tricky one Disney seems to struggle to balance, taking race away:

Jungle Book reimagined - Hit!
                          Dumbo reimagined - Bomb!
                          Aladdin remade - Hit!
                          Cinderalla remade - Bomb!

Would have been clearer if they had a consistent approach. I'd rather the live actions were explicitly reimaginings ala Maleficent, I don't feel any of them suit the live action treatment really.

Comment

Racists will definitely fuel it and that will become the sole focus of debate but I reckon there'll be a broader disgruntlement too.
                            Are you basing that on any other concrete information other than a black girl being cast?

Comment

I wonder if this one will follow the original fairy tail more? Gaining legs form the sea witch not only robs her of her voice but she is made to feel like she is being stabbed in the feet constantly. she fails to woo the prince and ends up being turned into sea foam as she ends up sucumbing to the curse. she then turns into some sort of transcendent spirit that has to serve mankind for 300 years before she can ascend to the heavens.
                              Last edited by Lebowski; 05-07-2019, 15:14.

Comment

Ha! I doubt it! It is funny sometimes to think of elements of stories that Disney skips over. Some of the details of Pocahontas, for example, or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Comment

Working...
                                X