Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He’ll position Lord Mogg-Snooty in his new Cabinet. It’ll be like 1845. All of our new trade deals to establish the Second Great British Empire will plunge the plebs further underneath the heel of the ruling classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      And now we get 2 months of self-interested Tory jockeying before the whole venal, misbegotten Brexit ****show resumes. I feel nauseated.
      Then they go on their summer recess in July to the beginning of September followed by more procrastination as parliament shuts down for the party conferences in September / October, so actually there are only about 4-5 weeks of Brexit for negotiations where MPs aren't doing other stuff.

Comment

Just nipped out to the shops. Every single newspaper got a picture of May blubbering outside No. 10, surrounded by quotes from colleagues praising her resolve. After years of party-political recklessness, misinformation and brinkmanship, everyone is now expected to feel sympathy. And now we get 2 months of self-interested Tory jockeying before the whole venal, misbegotten Brexit ****show resumes. I feel nauseated.
        I have some sympathy for May, it was a poisoned chalice from the start with most of her own mob wanting go go hard, medium hard, very hard or somewhere in between. Corbyn & his mob moaning about everything they can. The moaners wanting another vote and the 'teers wanting out at any cost.
        She should have taken us out the day after the vote, at least by now we would know how good, bad or indifferent it really is and everyone may be clamouring to get back in or sticking two fingers up at Brussels with plenty other countries wanting to follow our lead.

It's just shown me that MP's are a load of self-serving twats.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Then they go on their summer recess in July to the beginning of September followed by more procrastination as parliament shuts down for the party conferences in September / October, so actually there are only about 4-5 weeks of Brexit for negotiations where MPs aren't doing other stuff.
        Read on the BBC site about the amount of time MP's have spent on this Brexit stuff without bothering about the normal political issues. The NHS is still functioning, airports still working, the traffic lights down the road still ok and the pub five doors down has plenty of beer.
        In that case do we really need MP's - might be better being run by an algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          It sounds like I'm repeating myself again but: You cannot rule out no deal, it is the default legal position if no extension is asked for or granted.

It doesn't really matter what has passed in the House, there's no actual legally binding motion that outranks article 50 - if Boris, should he become PM wants to run the clock out for no deal, that's what he'll do. Now parliament can try a motion of no confidence, but the reality is there will be little they can do to stop the government pushing ahead with its agenda - it can be held in contempt sure, but that doesn't stop the wheels of article 50 from turning.

So no deal Brexit is still very much a reality and currently the most likely outcome.

Boris can make it look like he's trying to renegotiate, but the EU simple isn't going to budge, especially for an even harder move to the right.
          Ha! You fell down my sarchasm!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
            I have some sympathy for May, it was a poisoned chalice from the start.
            I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. She wanted the job despite voting remain. Smelled blood in the opinion polls and called a snap general election to consolidate her power, which then blew up in her face big time. She should have resigned then, but instead limped on with the intermittent support of the DUP on a £1billion+ bribe of public money that she just found down the back of a sofa in the middle of austerity. The only plus side is that the DUP then delighted in making her their bitch. Comedy gold.

I agree with you on the interesting fact that the country has just bumbled on - after a fashion - without the attention of government, though.
            Last edited by Golgo; 25-05-2019, 14:24.

Comment

The Shadow Chancellor says Labour will immediately call no confidence in any PM who takes over from May

Comment

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.
                Fair enough, my overall point is that I don't think any of them from either side would have got it through.

Comment

UK EU election results are about to start being released as France reels from Le Pen gaining victory of Macron causing his Presidency a big blow and his EU ambitions to borderline shatter

Comment

North East gave the first MEP seats: 2 to the Brexit Party and 1 to Labour

Change UK leader Heidi Allen says her party could end up merging with the Lib Dems

Dominic Raab and Boris Johnson have been warned by senior Tories that if either of them is felt to be toying with the idea of No Deal then those senior Tories would bring down the new PM. Though the leading PM contenders are hard Brexiteers the senior party members are at pains to make it clear that the Conservative Party will not entertain No Deal in any circumstance and anyone harbouring intentions of making that happen should forget them now.

First results impact on predictions is that Brexit Party will take the most seats as expected but their results will be weaker than projected with the Lib Dems and pro remain groups snapping up the difference

Comment

32% in the north-east region voted for Farage's one-note party.

Approximately a third of politically mindful people in a populous region of the UK voted for Farage's party. It's not a tiny minority, it's not a few people shouting loud, it's a third of people in that region.

Something is terribly, terribly wrong with this country when people feel so disenfranchised with any of the other options that they vote for that. We need to listen more and fix it sharpish.

Comment

It was 39%.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          It was 39%.
                          I must have seen an earlier total, in that case... But it's not like it makes things any better.

EDIT: Also, I think I'm done with politics. Like, done with taking any active interest in them. They can just be something other people worry about at this point; I don't have room for the stress of them in my life when all they seem to do is give more more and more cause for worry.
                          Last edited by Asura; 26-05-2019, 22:17.

Comment

Voters in the North East are blinded by this frothing-at-the-mouth anti-everything attitude. Thatcher’s reign of terror has decimated the region for the last 40 years, and any right wing lying creepo promising jobs and self-determination gets lapped up. They’re too misinformed to know that a no deal Brexit will result in the NE being hit the hardest out of anywhere in the U.K. They’re too consumed by anti-establishment fervour to realise that as their regional MEP they’ve elected a Scottish Thatcherite who lives in France. It’s like the Electorate up here have lost all ability to see bigger pictures, assess balanced arguments and apply rational thought. For many people, immigrants = less jobs, and they’re at a premium in the North East. The increasingly-fractured and rotten society created by ideological austerity somehow gets away scot-free. Is it central government’s fault we have skeleton-staffed underfunded public services? Nope. It’s someone from Poland, taking all teh jobz.

Comment

I'm sure all the anti-EU MEPS will be giving up their EU salary to a good cause for the time they are serving, right? It would seem wrong to take money from that thing they don't want to be a part of yet ran for in an election.

Comment

Turd of Toad Hall will no doubt maintain his stellar voting record as an elected representative. One of the worst on record.

Comment

Working...
                                X