Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Yeah and democracy

As Super Hans once said: "People like Coldplay... and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people, Jeremy!"

But as with Brexit, lots of people in this thread actually saw sense and voted for F-Zero. Nintendo for the win!

But will Wipeout fans accept the result? Shall we do it all again as some kind of 'People's Vote' for people who prefer Sony's their take on futuristic racing. The game's industry might collapse if we let the result stand.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-06-2019, 15:36.

Comment

I like Wipeout better, but I'm used to being on the losing side of polls these days.

Wipeout has a very unique feeling and flow to it. It's the 'ur' futuristic racer for me. You actually feel like you are piloting this thing floating on a cushion of air.

I also just like the aesthetic much more than F-Zero. GX is OK but honestly sound effects and music kind of give me a headache. Not totally sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Wipeout has a very unique feeling and flow to it. It's the 'ur' futuristic racer for me. You actually feel like you are piloting this thing floating on a cushion of air.
        I think it's great how Wipeout took its own approach to the handling and the overall feel of the game They could have copied F-Zero, but went for something different and also enjoyable. I definitely appreciate how Wipeout games feel, even if the F-Zero series appeals to me more. I also like how the Wipeout series goes for a distinct look/vibe next to what F-Zero has to offer.

I hope we get new Wipeout and F-Zero titles. I get really excited about futuristic racers. Fast Neo Racing is good, but could have been better designed.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-06-2019, 18:57.

Comment

Brexiteers and retro gamers share much in common. Retro gamers yearn to go back to the 80s & 90s, Brexiteers yearn to go back to the 1950s. Whichever angle you look at it, we all suffer from a bit of rose-tintedness.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I think it's great how Wipeout took its own approach to the handling and the overall feel of the game They could have copied F-Zero, but went for something different and also enjoyable. I definitely appreciate how Wipeout games feel, even if the F-Zero series appeals to me more. I also like how the Wipeout series goes for a distinct look/vibe next to what F-Zero has to offer.

I hope we get new Wipeout and F-Zero titles. I get really excited about futuristic racers. Fast Neo Racing is good, but could have been better designed.
            We most likely won't. Especially not a new Wipeout in anything other but name, as they've lost grip of the original formula. The very formula that now exists within BallisticNG.

Fast Racing Neo was a load of crap. I don't care if it's someone else's work - I have my work critiqued all the time. I was accused of being on crack last week.

Comment

At this point, anybody hoping/wishing for a new F-Zero is on crack.

The SNES/SFC original turns 30 years old next November.

It’s been nearly 15 years since F-Zero Climax was released JPN-only on the GBA. Since then, Nintendo have pretty much acted like the franchise doesn’t exist.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                we all suffer from a bit of rose-tintedness.
                There are plenty of things from my childhood and youth that I have little interest in these days. But playing old games from the 80s & 90s still excites me. I think that's because I appreciate how interesting and fun a lot of old games and systems are. It's more a case of still getting a kick out of really old stuff far more than rose-tinted nostalgia fueling my interest.

Of course, some people only take an interest in retro gaming to feel a rush of nostalgia. But there are plenty of people who actually enjoy old games and play them regularly. Not everyone sees retro stuff as merely a 'nostalgia rush' between modern games. I don't agree with people who feel that retro gaming is all about nostalgia -- with the belief that all old games are relics that aren't worth playing. I'm very much focused on retro gaming and will probably never get bored of exploring old stuff and going back to games I'm fond of. There's so much to enjoy.

I can appreciate some modern games, but they are few and far between. Most are also retro-inspired titles. I think it's interesting when a developer takes old school style gameplay and combines it with modern graphics. I'd love to see loads more top quality shoot 'em ups.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Fast Racing Neo was a load of crap.
                I was really surprised by how good it is when I bought the Wii U version. It's a great looking, fun game. I really appreciate and enjoy how it plays, but it certainly lacks creative flair next to the Wipeout and F-Zero series'.

What makes you feel it's a "load of crap"?

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Since then, Nintendo have pretty much acted like the franchise doesn’t exist.
                Nintendo put two F-Zero themed courses in Mario Kart 8 -- and Captain Falcon and an F-Zero arena are in the modern Smash Bros. It gives me some hope that Nintendo might resurrect the franchise with a really great modern version. Fingers crossed.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-06-2019, 00:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Nintendo put two F-Zero themed courses in Mario Kart 8 -- and Captain Falcon and an F-Zero arena are in the modern Smash Bros.
                  So what? They put F-Zero stuff in NintendoLand!!

Little Mac is in Smash Bros too - definitely doesn’t mean that Punch-Out!! is returning, and I’m a fan. In fact, plenty of long-forgotten Nintendo IP is in Smash Bros. so that means nothing.

F-Zero had its 25th anniversary ignored by Nintendo. They will also ignore it turning 30 next year. They have also consistently ignored demand for a new F-Zero game by many fans for years and years now.

It is done. It’s not coming back.

Comment

GX wasn't just the best on its own merits but then you take out the memory card go to an Arcade and slip it into this sexy beast:

Best entry X2!!!

Then you go home and one day your reading news posts online when someone reveals all of F Zero AX's content is hidden in F Zero GX

Best entry X3!!!
                    That was Nintendo's Megaton

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      GX wasn't just the best on its own merits but then you take out the memory card go to an Arcade and slip it into this sexy beast:

Best entry X2!!!

Then you go home and one day your reading news posts online when someone reveals all of F Zero AX's content is hidden in F Zero GX

Best entry X3!!!
                      That was Nintendo's Megaton
                      Unless I’m mistaken (and I could well be because I didn’t play much F-Zero AX/GX BITD), isn’t AX only accessible in GX with a cheat device like an Action Replay?

In any case, and to answer the original question posed by this thread, I’ll always prefer F-Zero over Wipeout. Wipeout may well be technically better in terms of GFX and audio but F-Zero is far more thrilling in terms of delivering the sensation of speed and racing action. I’ve played my fair share of Wipeout over the years and the balance for me definitely ends up titling more in favour of style over substance with each progressive game in the franchise.

My favourite F-Zero games are X, Maximum Velocity/Advance and SNES/SFC OG - probably in that order.

I obviously appreciate the original (who doesn’t?) - I probably preferred it to Super Mario Kart back then! But every game since has bettered it in pretty much every way, which isn’t to say it isn’t still playable today, but it just feels a bit too “1.0” in comparison to the other F-Zeros though I appreciate that the purity of that is still a big draw.

Maximum Velocity/Advance was the first GBA game I ever purchased/played and I rinsed it. It feels to me like a more refined version of the original game although the AI is brutally uncompromising when playing it on the harder levels of difficulty.

F-Zero X is my pick for best in the series, which I know is controversial to the AX/GX crowd. Yes, its severely minimal presentation and graphical aesthetic is awful even by N64 standards and yes, the “rawk” remastering of the original soundtrack it used isn’t to everybody’s taste (I loved it!) but it conveyed the sensation of speed excellently for its time and was so buttery-smooth for its time (thanks to the graphical minimalism), again even by N64 standards. I’d wager that it is one of the very few N64 games that have aged well today precisely because of the lack of graphical bells and whistles originally attached to it.

All that said, I clearly need to revisit GX and spend more time with it!

Comment

The AX cars and tracks can be unlocked on GX, so all of the content. The only thing missing is the AM2-style checkpoint system within the GP.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          The AX cars and tracks can be unlocked on GX, so all of the content. The only thing missing is the AM2-style checkpoint system within the GP.
                          Didn’t know that, again because I didn’t spend too much time with GX.

But I could’ve sworn that I read specifically that the whole of AX in its entirety is unlockable and playable on GX with an Action Replay. Might try to find this online later - there may well be a YouTube vid.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the content that is exclusive to AX is unlocked via play whereas the cheat device method unlocks AX as a literal game within the game

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              If I remember correctly, the content that is exclusive to AX is unlocked via play whereas the cheat device method unlocks AX as a literal game within the game
                              Which is the point I’m making.

Cheers for clarifying.

Comment

1. F-Zero X (probably my favourite ever racing game)
                                2. Wip3out (as close to perfection as you could imagine)
                                3. F-Zero (still so satisfying to play)

Comment

Working...
                                X