This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
    Been in London again today, I didn't get any cobblers but I got 2 x "done up like a kipper".
    That's just as good a saying!

Comment

Think whats really starting to make me annoyed (beyond a irk)

Is the outrage culture that has happened past few years, onset of Gaming websites getting offended by stuff that really should not be the case. Now stuff that people have been doing for years like the OK symbol is now getting offensive ......I really shudder to think what the world will be like in a few years

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        That's just as good a saying!
        Helped one of them out today on the phone and got a 'you're a diamond', but no 'geezer' though. Must try harder.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
          Think whats really starting to make me annoyed (beyond a irk)

Is the outrage culture that has happened past few years, onset of Gaming websites getting offended by stuff that really should not be the case. Now stuff that people have been doing for years like the OK symbol is now getting offensive ......I really shudder to think what the world will be like in a few years
          People getting offended by white supremacists. PC gone mad, I tell you.

Comment

I don't talk about specific patients on here often but today we had our few nutters and a horror case.

Horror story. Had a non patient emergency 2 year old with progressive ANUG aka; Trench mouth, as in what soldiers in WW1 used to get.

2 years old!? It was horrendous apparently (I didn't get a look and didn't want to), poor kid could not eat or drink and their parents were rarely brushing his teeth before this happened. FFS. Dentist and I despaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              People getting offended by white supremacists. PC gone mad, I tell you.
              Ahh no i get that , just taking every day things that were non offensive and making them become offensive, but I can understand people who are not in the know about when things change getting the full on wrath of people not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually may think the Ok symbol...is just well a OK Symbol

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                Ahh no i get that , just taking every day things that were non offensive and making them become offensive, but I can understand people who are not in the know about when things change getting the full on wrath of people not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually may think the Ok symbol...is just well a OK Symbol
                Yep. From what I can gather, that’s often why some things like that are chosen - because it means there is an element of doubt.

Comment

I read the OK symbol thing was a hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I read the OK symbol thing was a hoax.
                    Some people claim the "OK" sign has turned into a white nationalist symbol. What is behind that?

Comment

I get concerned about this stuff sometimes. Like I saw a blowup on Tumblr a couple of years ago about using either of the "milk" emojis on Twitter, because supposedly milk has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacists as it represents "white purity" or some other bull**** like that.

It's tricky because I don't want to offend people and I do have a sense of empathy. There are several expressions I refrain from using these days that I used for years without considering if they had racist connotations (e.g. "call a spade a spade") but the milk emoji? And this?

Part of me wants those of us who oppose these sort of evil movements to continue using the expression as much as possible; otherwise it feels like something cultural has been stolen. Is that wrong?

Comment

I think that’s fair comment. Absolutely anything can be hijacked for nefarious purposes and it’s not unreasonable to feel aggrieved by it. Sometimes, though, it just goes too far to be rescued. Look at what happened with the swastika. That’s been forever poisoned. I see it in some kung fu films, and despite the genuine historical meaning of it, it remains unsettling.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Is that wrong?
                          I would steer clear of even talking about this sort of thing. The maniacs who think they're the 'masters of reality' love to pounce on people like rabid dogs for anything they deem to be "unacceptable." Ultimately, they're a bunch of loony fascists who obviously have deep-rooted issues that make them behave like venomous little dictators. They behave like members of a cult following a strict doctrine.

The huge problem is -- we have politicians and people within the media playing up to the loonies. They pretend to sympathise with them. Then that sends out the message that all the extreme political correctness carries weight and is maybe warranted. That leads to perfectly normal, good people becoming neurotically oversensitive.

So, as someone who can't restore common sense to society, I choose to avoid the problem and just hope things change for the better over the next 10 years or so. But we might have to put up with the authoritarian radical-left for decades to come. It's best to 'weather the storm' and focus on other things.

Comment

It’s getting so you can’t even shout the n-word while chasing a black kid down the street these days, right Leon?

I get Asura’s frustration. He’s absolutely right. And it is sad. Words and more get co-opted and tainted and they shouldn’t. But once they are, they are. I wonder if there is any way of getting them back? I mean the swastika is obviously a very extreme example but what would it take to rebrand it as something good again? I think more likely it’s that some words or symbols that are used as hate words can be taken and owned by the people they are used against but that creates a division, in the way white people can’t use the n-word for example. It breaks up a word. And I have often felt it’s a huge shame that it gives these words and symbols way more power than they probably deserve but I’m coming at that from a position of privilege - I have never had who I am used as a weapon against me in any way that genuinely puts me at a disadvantage. And I get why people who have place more importance on words and labels.

Comment

I'm more irked by my Onken. I never eat yoghurt and my workmate bought us a big tub of Onken for my break so I ate it and it was nice and I was expecting to feel amazing with all those probacteria flopping about in the gutz.

But, nah, feel absolutely cack now, like I'm coming down with some massive, sore throaty cold.

And the loss of Jeremy Kyle irks me, also. There was some dumb**** in the Metro today calling for The Apprentice to be banned, too. The stupid, dumb dunce. Really. What kinda gloit writes in to The Metro? Spacalacadingdong.

Comment

Watch Richard Herring’s Hitler Moustache for some good discussion about this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X