Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I hate the look of the Amstrad model,
    I really like the look of the +2 & +3. I think you can take the keys off the original 128k Speccy???

When it comes to 8-bit computers -- I'd love an Atari 800XL, MSX2, and a bread bin C64. Maybe an Amstrad CPC 128k as well. I'll always be into consoles first and foremost though.

I just need to get an Amiga 600
    I had an A500 and then a A1200. My brother had a A600 for a bit. I'd probably buy an A500 if I wanted an Amiga, because I have more nostalgia for that model, and I don't like many A1200 exclusive games.

I remember having the grey version. Prefer the darker styling of your machine.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-05-2019, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I received the GDEMU yesterday and put it in the JP Dreamcast I bought a while back. It's version 5.15b with the metal card slot. It cost a couple of quid more, but I might as well have the latest build.

I installed it and ran Ikaruga(such a beautiful game ). It works perfectly. I really like how you can turn off the splash screens and force VGA.

Now I need to order a 128GB card, because I was just testing it with an old 16GB card.
      I thought they weren’t supposed to be compatible with JPN machines?
      Sure I read that it damages the system...

Edit: yes I did

There are three known Dreamcast variants: VA0 – early production VA1 – ~99% of all consoles VA2.1 – late production NOTE: VA0 and VA2.1 are NOT compatbile with GDEMU. While it can…

Might want to just check you have a compatible system.

NOTE: VA0 and VA2.1 are NOT compatbile with GDEMU. While it can be installed inside VA0 model and will appear to work, it is not safe and will eventually result in damage to the device and/or console itself.

VA0: Found mostly in JP region, though some US consoles exist as well. Uses slightly earlier motherboard revision with temperature sensor, heat pipe and metal fan cowl (some sources say it’s because it heats up more). Has earlier BIOS version but most importantly both the BIOS and FLASH chips are 5V devices and output 5V on the G1 bus – which is not safe for GDEMU.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
        I thought they weren’t supposed to be compatible with JPN machines?
        Sure I read that it damages the system...
        I investigated before I bought an additional Dreamcast specifically for the GDEMU. I made a thread on here before I bought it, to make sure it would be a V1/3.3v machine. When I opened it up I saw '3.3v' stamped on the inside.

It did get a quite warm after a couple of hours, so I'll get my brother to do the simple 'resistor' fix.

It's definitely a really nice thing to have for Dreamcast fans.

Comment

The Noctua fan mod might be worth looking into to save your ears too.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            The Noctua fan mod might be worth looking into to save your ears too.
            I'll look into this, but it doesn't sound too noisy unless you're right next to it. I'm just glad the usual grinding noises from the machine have gone.

Comment

It’s great having a nice quiet Dreamcast… slightly off-putting in Skies of Arcadia though as I was so used to the drive clunking away just before a random monster battle.

Comment

I remember having the grey version.
                That's the model my brother had, he had the light gun bundle. To this day I've never played any light gun game on the ZX Spectrum; Do they work and are they any good?

Comment

Do they work and are they any good?
                  I used one once, back in the late 80s, but I can't remember if it's any good. I guess the monochrome graphics wouldn't make things very exciting.

Comment

I'm not.

I use a VGA box connected to a HDMI converter. The image looks really nice(well to my eyes) and vibrant. It really is great how attractive the Dreamcast's VGA output is.
                    I'm currently using my DC connected via the official VGA box then to a VGA to HDMI converter then into the Framemeister. It's a mess of wiring and the VGA to HDMI thing adds masses of lag. It's also 480p only, which locks me out of a few games. I'm planning on dumping the lot soon when Retrogaming Cables release their new DC stuff. I could either go direct to SCART (switchable 480p/240p) or via component into D-SUB.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                      I'm currently using my DC connected via the official VGA box then to a VGA to HDMI converter then into the Framemeister..
                      I tried that but the FM didn't like the signal. The OSSC works fine though, so I'll end up using that for the Dreamcast.

At the moment, I'm using an HDMI converter that does a good job. The image looks really nice.

I'm not worried about the few games that don't support VGA, as I'm not really interested in playing them. I haven't tested the GDEMU's ability to force VGA in non-VGA games though. I will see if it works.

Comment

That's the model my brother had, he had the light gun bundle. To this day I've never played any light gun game on the ZX Spectrum; Do they work and are they any good?
                        There was quite a few light gun games, some were pretty good, op wolf etc. I think the screen flashes like a Master light gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                          I'm currently using my DC connected via the official VGA box then to a VGA to HDMI converter then into the Framemeister. It's a mess of wiring and the VGA to HDMI thing adds masses of lag. It's also 480p only, which locks me out of a few games. I'm planning on dumping the lot soon when Retrogaming Cables release their new DC stuff. I could either go direct to SCART (switchable 480p/240p) or via component into D-SUB.
                          Why not get a Toro?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            There was quite a few light gun games, some were pretty good, op wolf etc. I think the screen flashes like a Master light gun.
                            I never got to play any of them, by the time my bother picked up the ZX +2 I had already moved on the Master System and that was king for me when it came to Light gun games. IMO it's still best system when it comes for light gun games

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                              Why not get a Toro?
                              I considered it, but the Retrogaming Cables DC SCART/Component cables are a cheaper way to go. Also, a little less clutter as it's a direct cable to the Framemeister.

Comment

That gun appears to be broken. Every shot registers as off screen with my (non 100hz) CRT TV :/

Comment

Working...
                                X