No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OutRun 2 C2C - I spent some quality time with this last night. Loving the sheer amount of content and it still plays like an absolute dream (X360 controller is spot on). I do wonder if it would look better on original hardware + CRT over the 360 + LCD. Either way, it's hard to disagree it's one of gaming's best ever sequels.

Another shout for the value of physical media too. It's great to have not just all the Ferrari licences intact, but all the proper brands on the billboards (Shell, Vodaphone, etc).

Comment

I tried a couple of my big pile of PS1 games yesterday. Gave Night Head the Labyrinth a go. It's a first person horror adventure game. The movement controls kick in almost a full second of pressing the button so it's horrendously slow to play. The environments are dull and it's hard to get through if you can't read Japanese. Still, it was fun to look at for half an hour after getting it for less than a quid in a Book Off.

I also tried Kiganjo. This is a samurai themed first person action adventure game. I need to go back to it because I quite enjoyed the few minutes I played. The structure might be similar to Resi games, I'm not sure. The combat locks you in place and you make menu choices but then press a button to attack so it's real time but you choose which type of action you're going to perform before performing it. The intro is really long and I hate the animation. It looks like an 80s/90s American cartoon. Looking forward to giving this a proper go soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Another shout for the value of physical media too. It's great to have not just all the Ferrari licences intact, but all the proper brands on the billboards (Shell, Vodaphone, etc).
        Piracy/preservation is great for this as well. I've been playing OutRun2 SP off of the PS2 HDD. I don't even need to worry about the disc drive dying and rendering my game useless.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          I've been playing OutRun2 SP off of the PS2 HDD.
          I'd very much like a set-up like that

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I'd very much like a set-up like that
            €50 for a used PVM
            €50 for a used PS2 with free memory card
            €10 for an official network adaptor (which doubles as the HDD caddy)
            €10 for a trusty old 300GB IDE HDD

Comment

Mostly though I've been playing FFX. I'm ten hours in now and wondering when either the game or the story will begin to get good.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                €50 for a used PVM
                €50 for a used PS2 with free memory card
                €10 for an official network adaptor (which doubles as the HDD caddy)
                €10 for a trusty old 300GB IDE HDD
                That's how anyone normal would do it, I'll probably end up paying more to score a 'ready made' one.

Comment

Still on Thunder Force III on the Mega Sg.

Assault Suits Valken on the Super Nt. I absolutely love this game, the feeling of the mobile suit is nearly perfect.

Comment

I had a few goes of Zanac Neo on the PS1. Looks and feels like a cross between Super Aleste and Radiant Silvergun. Hadn't played it for ages, so could only get to Level 4. It's a really fun shooter though, so I'll try to get further.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      Still on Thunder Force III on the Mega Sg.

Assault Suits Valken on the Super Nt. I absolutely love this game, the feeling of the mobile suit is nearly perfect.
                      If you ever get a chance to play Gunhound EX, grab it. It’s an amazing spiritual successor to ASV.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                        If you ever get a chance to play Gunhound EX, grab it. It’s an amazing spiritual successor to ASV.
                        Thanks for the recommendation. I have teh isoz... I just need to finally get around to hacking my Vita. Turns out it’s also available on Steam too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Thanks for the recommendation. I have teh isoz... I just need to finally get around to hacking my Vita. Turns out it’s also available on Steam too.
                            Yea, I played it on Steam and loved it so much I hunted out a PSP version to have a physical copy.
                            It’s quite short, you can finish it in a few hours but from what I remember there’s NG+, NG++ etc. where the difficulty goes up with each playthrough.

It’s made by Dracue Software who also did the remake of Assault Suits Leynos on the PS4 (which is well worth your time too).

Comment

@dataDave

I have extention cables for my SFC controllers, because they're so short(seems like 1ft ).

Comment

Started Starcraft's campaign again for the first time in years. I don't think I've ever finished an RTS' single player mode; I always get a bit bored by the end. I would like to change that but we'll see.

The latest update wants you to download the remastered version via the Battle.net client by the looks of it. I can't imagine any other reason an RTS game from 1998 would be 6GB+ but I'm happy enough playing the old version. I played a couple of Confederate missions and had a good time; it's still a really fun game.

Comment

Working...
                                X