No announcement yet.

Phoenix|Down x3: Ridge Racer VIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I just never enjoy the drifting in other games as much. Just played through Horizon 4 and loved it, but the drifting levels are an abomination. I actually did have fun drifting one of my cars, a rally one, but in general I don’t enjoy drifting in any game nearly as much as i do in Ridge or Outrun 2.

Is there a big enough market these days for Ridge’s fantasy cars and fantasy handling though? Racing games are now basically sims or kart games. I know Horizon isn’t a sim per se, but for me to call it truly arcadey is a stretch. It’s a lot more realistic than arcade style racers of old.

Comment

Ridge Racer "Omega Collection" would be pretty awesome in VR.

Comment

I feel like arcade styled racers have been out of the market for so long that there probably is a market for one as long as it's delivered right. Something that's got plenty content, enough visual sheen to catch the eye, solid physics to how it plays but didn't cost the moon to produce. When arcade racers go too cheap in production values they're essential dead on arrival.

Comment

Yeah, it's a bit like futuristic racers. The surge of indies aiming to fill the gap left by Wipeout, F-Zero and even lesser stuff like Extreme G has served, at least for me, to demonstrate how hard it actually is to make a good one.

FAST, for example. All the bits and pieces are there but it doesn't come together in a game that's even remotely as compelling as even one of the less well regarded Wipeouts.

Comment

Yep, the PC is riddled with attempts by fans of the genres but I don't think I've ever played one that came close to really nailing it.

Comment

Games are hard.

Comment

If it’s anything like Ace Combat 7; they’ll put out RR7, but with slightly better graphics and a single half-hearted, VR-enabled GP and everyone will wonder exactly why it took 13 years to be made.

The handling should go back to pre-4 though. When you actually had to have skills to play.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Yep, the PC is riddled with attempts by fans of the genres but I don't think I've ever played one that came close to really nailing it.
                  Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Yeah, it's a bit like futuristic racers. The surge of indies aiming to fill the gap left by Wipeout, F-Zero and even lesser stuff like Extreme G has served, at least for me, to demonstrate how hard it actually is to make a good one.

FAST, for example. All the bits and pieces are there but it doesn't come together in a game that's even remotely as compelling as even one of the less well regarded Wipeouts.
                  Neither of you have tried BallisticNG, obviously. It handles identically to WO3, so it's actually more Wipeout than anything beyond the PSOne. You can even import all of the old Wipeout ships, sound effects and music.

It's a fiver on Steam, or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    Neither of you have tried BallisticNG, obviously. It handles identically to WO3, so it's actually more Wipeout than anything beyond the PSOne. You can even import all of the old Wipeout ships, sound effects and music.

It's a fiver on Steam, or thereabouts.
                    I don't have a PC, so no I haven't tried it. But while it sounds like it would be fun to play, simply cloning early Wipeout as slavishly as possible doesn't really sound like a viable way forward for the genre. At least FAST tried something new (even if it wasn't very good at all).

Comment

I've no idea how to progress the genre at all. I don't even think Nintendo do, either. I thought we were talking about simply making a good game.

Comment

That's fair, and it certainly looks like the makers of Ballistic NG haver certainly done a good job of that.

Comment

Working...
                        X