Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. It feels like websites used to be horrible, then got better and better for years and then got horrible again in whole new ways.

Comment

The cookie warning is utterly ridiculous and some sites plaster it across half the screen! I think all the car manufacturers use the same web company because they are all annoying in the same sort of ways.

Comment

It’s pointless. You go to web pages for a reason.

Who has clicked on a link and then, when met by the cookie acceptance alert, thought, ‘Holy ****! It wants me to accept its damn cookies??? Bugger my reasons for coming here. I’m off!’

No sodding one. That’s who.

Comment

I have.

Sometimes I'll open a site and you have to agree to their terms, it won't even let me browse in that tiny window between the warning and the address bar, so I've just closed the page.

Fight the power!

Comment

Yep, same. I have also closed a page as soon as a video starts to play or if the navigation just ends up being too difficult with ad obstructions. My tolerance for that stuff is pretty low and few articles are so important that I'll suffer through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Yep. It feels like websites used to be horrible, then got better and better for years and then got horrible again in whole new ways.
              I read that this is an actual web design trend. Years ago, websites used to worry more about "retention", i.e. the idea that you might visit a website today, and check it tomorrow, next week...

In 2019, many websites (particularly news websites) have simply given up on retention. Instead, they just assume that their readers will come from Reddit, Twitter and a handful of other sources. As their revenue is ad-driven, they don't particularly care if you open the site and leave when you see what a mess it is; that's a "win" for them. They believe users are unlikely to "blacklist" websites, because people tend to click on headlines, not URLs, and don't really examine where the article is until they get there.

It's a ****ty situation, but it's a result of how the internet is ad-driven.

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. Fits in with how so many articles are basically nonsense now and actually have no information - they're just all about the headline.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Yeah, that makes sense. Fits in with how so many articles are basically nonsense now and actually have no information - they're just all about the headline.
                  Yeah, though that being said, it's easy to come down harshly on them for it - but it's their racket. It's no different to drinks being expensive at all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurants or popcorn costing a fiver at the cinema for 25p worth of popcorn. It's a pain, too, because years ago I actually had a sub to CNN in 2007; it was about £1 per-month. I remember when they stopped that service and it was a real shame.

Comment

Cookie warming is just hearsay and yet to be proven.

Comment

I like Juan Cleese in Fawlty Towers.

Yet, what in the name of bellendery is he talking about? Wittering about London not being an English city anymore.

Learn your history. It was founded by the Romans - immigrants/conquerers/invaders/whatever you want to call them.
                      It has always been the cosmopolitan hub of the country. Frankly, with the legacy of the Empire, it would be astounding if it remained some enclave of English ‘purity’. It’s the beacon for all the peoples of all the nations we’ve invaded, colonised and subjugated. Apparently it’s ok for English people to move to other countries and plonk their asses down to live there, but not other people to do that here.

Ain’t that right, Johnny Boy? Spouting this from your Caribbean home. You stupid, hypocritical old fanny.

Comment

Juan Cleese

Comment

Yeah... I think it's a bit tone-deaf to say that in the current climate; doubly so when he doesn't live in the UK and instead lives in a tax haven.

Thing is, that never used to be a particularly controversial thing to say. London isn't like other UK cities. It's much more cosmopolitan than anywhere else. People used to joke that London was a more international city due to how it's one of the world's key centres.

It's bull****, though. The problems with this sentiment are numerous. It puts aside that many UK cities are very cosmopolitan; classic examples would be Brighton and Bradford, going back further than living memory. It's also that London is the UK's capital, and is, therefore, British/English. Even if it totally changes, it doesn't matter, because whatever it changes to is, therefore, English. If, for some reason, everyone in the UK started speaking French, and thus people in London only spoke French, it would still be an English city.

American Dad makes a joke sometimes about how the Republicans in the USA want America to go back to how it was in the 1950s; however, they don't mean the real 1950s, with the Korean war, issues over racism & civil rights - they want a kind of rarified 1950s that only ever existed in their minds. The situation with conservatives in the UK is sometimes similar; they have this classic image of Britain:

... but that's just a fantasy on the shortbread tins in National Trust gift-shops. It never really existed.

I've heard some of these people say things like "we want to go back to before all these immigrants came here". They're the sort who believe that no non-white people lived in the UK in the Victorian era, when places like the London Docklands and other similar locations supposedly had strong concentrations of people from all over the world. The type of people that can deal with all the dragons in Game of Thrones but draw the line when a person-of-colour comes onscreen.

John Cleese, you're a funny guy, but this is bad form.
                          Last edited by Asura; 30-05-2019, 17:43.

Comment

Indeed Asura.

I’ve read a tonne of stuff on Ripper lore, and one thing that’s clear, is that significant sections of London contained diverse and immigrant communities, and a transient workforce, even in the 1880s.

Comment

This story about the 6 year old falling off the roller-coaster at Lightwater Valley.

My irk is in the headline, WTF was a 6 year old doing on a roller-coaster anyways? I've been on that exact one and its not just one for small children that goes up and down in a slow circle, its a tightly packed sharp cornered one like a minecart ride and even as a teen it hurts your neck.

WTF was a 6 year old doing on a ****ing roller-coaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                                This story about the 6 year old falling off the roller-coaster at Lightwater Valley.

My irk is in the headline, WTF was a 6 year old doing on a roller-coaster anyways? I've been on that exact one and its not just one for small children that goes up and down in a slow circle, its a tightly packed sharp cornered one like a minecart ride and even as a teen it hurts your neck.

WTF was a 6 year old doing on a ****ing roller-coaster?
                                Sounds like a series of **** ups. The parents oblivious to any risk and the staff seaming not giving a **** and fastening in the child regardless of it fitting properly or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X