This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Edit. Also Labo is completely useless with the Lite.
    ...and should be banished.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
      I heard the PowerA ones should be decent. I use my Wii U Pro controller with an 8bitdo-adaptor, works fine.
      Really? I have 4 WiiU pro controllers and love them. Which adapter do you use?

Comment

Honestly, the idea of buying a Switch Lite when someone already owns a Switch just seems insane to me. At the very bare minimum, for the small niche that has two people who want to play Switch but always at the same time as one another, it feels like rewarding Nintendo with nearly £200 for having unnecessarily bad account management design. Hell, just buy a second hand Switch as a secondary system as the pricing is that narrow.

All this really raises more questions about the idea of a Switch Pro as well.

There is no way that Nintendo is going to release a new Switch that likely has a bit less of a bezel, a few seconds faster loading for games and 5-10fps framerate improvement on the choppier games and place that on the market for £300-£350. A Pro only makes sense if it's an outright replacement for the existing standard model which also makes sense because it's very much in the DSi/New 3DS design school and also helps widen the gap between the standard model and the Lite.

I have to assume that it's aimed for Mar/Apr next year otherwise it would also have been announced now and a minor SKU revision will get drowned out next summer onwards by the shadow of the PS5/XB4.

Comment

Game Console 02 FCC Class II Permissive Change Letter details for FCC ID BKEHAC001 made by Nintendo Co Ltd. Document Includes Cover Letter(s) 02 FCC Class II Permissive Change Letter

Could turn out that the Switch Pro is nothing more than Nintendo tweaking the existing standard Switch CPU and flash storage chips

Like how Sony regularly quietly tweaks the innards of its consoles. If this is true it means those waiting for a Switch Pro are waiting for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Like how Sony regularly quietly tweaks the innards of its consoles. If this is true it means those waiting for a Switch Pro are waiting for nothing
            Again I don't think anyone informed is waiting for Switch Pro. I think that's just a small section of ResetEra. The revision with newer internals was always realistic. Just makes buying a an original Switch bit of a risk although may be some good deals on the original model.

Comment

Yeah, while there is precedent of Nintendo upgrades, I don't think we'll see much and I don't think we'll see it any time soon. The idea of a very different "Pro" model seems a long way off and, even then, I don't think it would be some revolutionary upgrade and might not even affect any already existing games.

Comment

Stupid question time: when playing a physical game, are game saves going to the game cart, or the system/SD card?

Comment

The Switch Lite/#Switchless/Lightswitch isn't digital-only, is it?

Comment

I certainly be surprised if it's the same form factor and updated internals only. I'd confidently put money on a DSi/3DS XL type upgrade.

That said someone did link on ResetEra where Nintendo stated there would be no new 3DS model. And then 4 days later the new 3DS is announced (although I can't find the link now).

Also the journalist from WSJ: https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status...31998552977409

@mochi_wsj

I will wait for the other one.

5:28 AM - 10 Jul 2019

Comment

While I think you're right, what we've always said when compared to the difference between the original DS and the DS Lite or DSi and then the difference between the original 3DS and the XL/New models is that there is much less to play with in the Switch. Far less that's changeable. It's mostly screen and controllers with not a huge amount of wasted space. Even this Lite version which actually has a whole bunch of changes, hasn't changed the form factor in anywhere near as dramatic a way that those other revisions did, even if some of the core features have been changed. So yes, I expect more revisions in the future but I'd probably keep expectations in check as to how dramatic those will be.

But it is always interesting to see that Nintendo has no problem dropping a USP while simultaneously breaking compatibility with what's already been released. That has often seemed weird to me and maybe even weirder right now given that the Switch is doing really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Far less that's changeable.
                        Tbf the revisions like the DS Lite didn't change fundamentals. Better screen, new looks, cooler/cheaper internals, better battery, revised dock etc. And that's what I think these people in the know are referring too.

I'd be stunned if it's just 'mariko' and a few new internals. Although there's nothing stopping both happening of course. Albeit unlikely (so some internal changes and then a new model later on i.e. next year). However that has also happened before.
                        Last edited by Digfox; 11-07-2019, 10:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                          Tbf the revisions like the DS Lite didn't change fundamentals.
                          And yet it felt like a whole new machine compared with the flimsy first release (edit: actually flimsy is more applicable to the 3DS first release but, compared with the Lite, it probably applies somewhat to the original DS too). It was sturdier, the form had changed, it looked different and felt different in the hands. And yep, the fundamentals were exactly the same - screen, controls - but there was a lot of plastic around those things that could be remoulded and rebuilt. You're really hitting on what I mean here and I think we're on the same page in most ways.

Comment

There may be a clamshell design in the future. A true portable machine. I'd expect that to be end of life though.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              I'd expect that to be end of life though.
                              Seems a bit dramatic.

Comment

If they do make a 'New' Switch I wonder what the single game they release for it will be?

Comment

Working...
                                X