No announcement yet.

PSVita thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a huge fan of the Vita. I’ve owned both V1 and V2 as well as the TV. For me though, it was flawed before it was even released due to the lack of L2 and R2 and clickable sticks. The rear touch panel was gimmicky as hell and very rarely implemented well. The TV was actually the best form of the hardware due to utilising a DS3/4, but you couldn’t play three quarters of the games, which was a HUGE flaw. It was almost like the Switch before the Switch was the, erm Switch, but they royally messed it up.

Had the portable hardware shared the DualShock controls and not had the rear touch panel at all, cross-play would have been much more of a thing. They could even have sold physical copies with both a PS4 disc and a Vita cart in the same box.

There should also also have been EVERY single PS1 and PSP title available to download on the PSN.

It should have also supported more than one PSN account at the same time.

All of those things would have likely made it a lot more successful than it was. Sony just never seemed to understand how to market it correctly or give it features that would have improved it no end for me.

I also thought Ridge Racer was amazing. Jaja.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Only having one PSN account per card was killer coming from the PSP where I had games from multiple regions. I ended up just using my US account since that had the most games on it.

Comment

I’d be up to around level 50 on Trophies if it wasn’t for the Vita and its single PSN account implementation. I had to switch over from my Joe_Musashi account to my Mr_Karate one as my main in order to keep it uniform over console and handheld. That’s always pissed me off, as there is no way that I’m going to PS Now Demon’s Souls for full FromSoft platinums.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As I was playing Killzone on my vita the other day I thought it was a real shame there were no L2 & R2.

I know they have the X mount to use with Xperia and DS4 for remote play but I wish they would basically split the DS4 in half like the switch cons and you attach each side of the DS4 on either end of the phone in landscape mode. It would be awesome especially with 5G coming.

Edit - my xperia is 4k and HDR so it is tailor made for remote play

Comment

Bluetooth is a seriously underrated feature of the Vita since it doesn't just work with Vita games but also PSP and PSX games as well. I think my trusty PSP is about to get relegated to the desk drawer as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              Bluetooth is a seriously underrated feature of the Vita since it doesn't just work with Vita games but also PSP and PSX games as well. I think my trusty PSP is about to get relegated to the desk drawer as a result.
              True; as someone who used to really like my Vita, this is definitely a feature I miss on the Switch.

Comment

After perusing the Final Fantasy games in the Switch sale last week it dawned on me I have them already on my USA PS account. So last night I wiped my Vita of it's UK set-up and re-launched to serve as pretty much a handheld NTSC PlayStation. From my purchase history I downloaded FF VII, VIII, IX ... also Castlevania SOTN and ZanacXZanac ... plus a couple of PSP games inc Jeanne D'Arc and Ridge Racer. It's such a great line-up on the system.
                Spent a couple of hours playing FFVIII last night and I was really getting into it again

Great thing about digital purchases is a serial seller/trader like me can't punt them and have to re-buy when the mood takes.

Comment

I bought a Vita again a few weeks ago, Metallic Red Slim. Love it, though ironically there are only three actual Vita games that I own/will buy (got Ys VIII and Gravity Rush Remastered on PS4). Decided to go digital only this time around.

• Killzone: Mercenary
                  • Tearaway
                  • Ys: Memories of Celceta

In addition to:

• 2064: Read Only Memories
                  • Hotline Miami
                  • Iconoclasts
                  • Ys Origin

Where the Vita really shines though is with PSP and PSX (with a US account) games. Won't list the PSX games as everyone should know which ones are good by now, but here's a snippet of PSP games available on PSN:

Ape Escape: On the Loose
                  Breath of Fire III
                  Castlevania: Dracula Chronicles X
                  Daxter
                  Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
                  Gurumin
                  Half-Minute Hero
                  Jeanne d'Arc
                  LocoRoco 1, 2, Midnight Carnival
                  Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
                  Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
                  Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
                  Patapon 1-3
                  Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero!?
                  Secret Agent Clank
                  Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
                  Trails in the Sky FC
                  Trails in the Sky SC
                  Ys I & II Complete
                  Ys: Oath in Felghana
                  Ys SEVEN
                  Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman

Some of these are easily some of the best handheld games ever released.

The only ones I'm missing are Crisis Core: FF VII and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Such a shame that these are not available digitally.

Trying to stay away from PSX as much as possible as I don't really have time for 60-hour JRPGs anymore, but I have a scratched up OLED Vita as well which is basically a JP PSX for me. Harmful Park and Adventures of Little Ralph for 600 Yen each makes owning a second Vita easily worth it, though I still can't understand how Sony launched a system which basically tells region swappers to f*uck off after making it so easy on the PSP and the PS3.
                  Last edited by Nico87; 21-06-2019, 14:17.

Comment

Rumor at the moment but according to a developer in early 2020 Sony will end the ability for new games to be added to the PS Store for Vita bringing the system pretty much to a final end.

Comment

It should bother me, but it doesn't, as to be honest I have enough top quality Vita games to last me another five or six years. Just gutted I didn't discover dungeon crawlers sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                        It should bother me, but it doesn't, as to be honest I have enough top quality Vita games to last me another five or six years. Just gutted I didn't discover dungeon crawlers sooner!
                        Which ones are your favs? I think I've only played Mary Skelter and Dungeon Travelers 2

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                          Which ones are your favs? I think I've only played Mary Skelter and Dungeon Travelers 2
                          So far both Demon Gaze games and Stranger of Sword City. I'm up to chapter 10 on Dungeon Travelers 2, but hit a massive difficulty spike when I encountered Ifritaso have given up for a bit. Operation Abyss should be renamed Operation Abyssmal as it's definitely the worst one I've played so far. It's just so ugly and the difficulty is odd, as every battle runs the risk of you getting obliterated.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                            So far both Demon Gaze games and Stranger of Sword City. I'm up to chapter 10 on Dungeon Travelers 2, but hit a massive difficulty spike when I encountered Ifritaso have given up for a bit. Operation Abyss should be renamed Operation Abyssmal as it's definitely the worst one I've played so far. It's just so ugly and the difficulty is odd, as every battle runs the risk of you getting obliterated.
                            Yeah, DT 2's difficulty spike is enormous. I put the game down for a good while around where you are. I highly recommend Mary Skelter. Really well balanced. It's only £8.99 on the PS Store (if you don't mind digital) which is pretty great for an initially full-priced and highly rated retail release. It's ~3gb though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                              Yeah, DT 2's difficulty spike is enormous. I put the game down for a good while around where you are. I highly recommend Mary Skelter. Really well balanced. It's only £8.99 on the PS Store (if you don't mind digital) which is pretty great for an initially full-priced and highly rated retail release. It's ~3gb though.
                              I heard Mary Skelter was the same level of hardcore as Sword City. However, I think with SC being more like the Demon Gaze games it's made me persevere more with it. Just doing the class change levelling up at the moment which is a bit of a grind!

I'd buy Skelter, but I'm physical only and it's rather expensive now!

I'd definitely recommend Stranger of Sword City though. Its tough, but with a better story than most, nice music, GORGEOUS visuals and incredible character customisation. Want a Ney Paladin with Samurai, Ninja, Cleric, Wizard AND Fighter skills? Done!

Comment

Have you played Darkest Dungeon yet, [MENTION=2206]MonkeyJuggleDX[/MENTION]? It's amazing!

Going to check out your suggestions, cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X