Yakuza 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I'm no Yakuza veteran but I loved the combat in Zero. I honestly enjoyed every scrap as much as the last. But I also read a lot of comments about the series treading too much old ground, so I have to applaud the devs for being radical.
    A lot of that is because the team only have a year and a half, between each game and were also behind the remakes. If you did play one Yakuza game, you pretty much played any other. They looked the same (the same cities time and time again) and pretty much played the game (all good mind). I'm amazed how they've kept the quailty bar so high and I rather the team take a break and make a new action game or a sequel to Binary Domain (such a overlooked classic) myself.

Comment

Cynical Yakuza fans won over in 3..2...

Comment

^ Now that I've had time to think about it, the real-time combat system was getting well stale like old fish and a new turn-based system could be pretty fresh and awesome.

Comment

That's where I drop off tbh, turn based combat itself is even more stale and worn out by decades of JRPGs etc. Yakuza rests on the lineage of walk along beat em ups which are much less represented. Even playing Yakuza 6, there was no point where - fun as it was - I felt they'd reach some sort of combat pinnacle. Jokes aside, Shenmue 3 just became by far the more appealing prospect and Yu Suzuki must be loving this news.

Comment

I don’t really see this game as in competition with Shenmue 3. Probably there is lots of overlap and many players of one will buy the other anyway.

Have to say I don’t agree turn based is worn out. Obv it’s cool to not like it, but Persona and Divinity both have banging turn based combat.

I’d agree it does make Yakuza oddly a less unique proposition in some ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              A lot of that is because the team only have a year and a half, between each game and were also behind the remakes. If you did play one Yakuza game, you pretty much played any other. They looked the same (the same cities time and time again) and pretty much played the game (all good mind). I'm amazed how they've kept the quailty bar so high and I rather the team take a break and make a new action game or a sequel to Binary Domain (such a overlooked classic) myself.
              I really enjoyed Binary Domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                That's where I drop off tbh, turn based combat itself is even more stale and worn out by decades of JRPGs etc. Yakuza rests on the lineage of walk along beat em ups which are much less represented. Even playing Yakuza 6, there was no point where - fun as it was - I felt they'd reach some sort of combat pinnacle. Jokes aside, Shenmue 3 just became by far the more appealing prospect and Yu Suzuki must be loving this news.
                They literally made half a dozen identical games and turn based games are stale? Turn based RPGs have become far less common nowadays.

Almost every videogame has been done before. But a turn based Yakuza game, not see one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  I really enjoyed Binary Domain.
                  Just added to my Amazon Wish List. Probably buy from FleaBay but I use the wish list as a global buying reminder list thingy.

Comment

Turn based RPGs have become less common than they were but they're still more common than the type of game Yakuza is. What they've done here is make a severe change to the core franchise. Maybe they'll land it but it honestly feels like a really daft move for a franchise that has previously used spin-offs to safely diversify the experience and has struggled to find its international feet. The flip side is this might do wonders for the popularity of Judgment if they make a sequel to that.

Comment

Having played up to Yakuza 4 I felt the combat was evolving and getting better don't know if that stalled after 4 but it had been getting better. The only thing they weren't doing much with was the enemies. Enemies and AI needed to improve. They could've kept it real time and innovated with the combat to make it deeper and more interesting. What are AM2 the Virtua Fighter developers doing nowadays?

I've never been able to get into turn based combat. I always found it really unsatisfying but I'd still give this game a go.

Comment

Sega's next entry in the Yakuza series will be available alongside Xbox Series X when the console launches.Yakuza: Like…

XSX version launches alongside the system

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...x-launch-title

XSX version launches alongside the system
                          That'll help sales of the new console...

Comment

Now confirmed to be arriving on PS4, PC and XBO as well - just PS5 missing now

Comment

I don't mind the combat changing just as I've been playing since the first one on the PS2 and I've become way too good at it to the point where fights are more of a necessary evil than much else.

Comment

I do since the Heat moves are my fav part of the series .I rather the team try something new .. There's been too many Yakuza games now. Give the IP a little rest and make something else .

Comment

Working...
                                X