PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, tried Doom VFR... Not impressed.

Actually quit when I got stopped by a bug - had to solve a simple UI puzzle to unlock something, and the game told me what buttons to press - but didn't show a diagram of the controller. Who, without prompting, knows where the R2 button is on an Aim Controller? And after four attempts it locked up; the UI froze (though the game was still running) and I was stuck there. Turned it off.

EDIT: Adding some more thoughts... Right away, the experience was negative. You kinda have hands sticking out of your chin right at the start, instead of how most VR games work - so it's like an old-school FPS, which might've been a cool, retro idea but it just doesn't work in VR (it serves as a weird reminder; like I've got a TV-shaped head and hands sticking out of my chin).

Even the teleport movement feels bad. In Raw Data it works because the enemy patterns are extensively reworked to use it; in this, I'm not sure how well it works. Like it's fine right now when the difficulty's low, but when it ramps up?

I'll stick with it for a bit but yeah, the initial experience was bad.
    Last edited by Asura; 17-07-2019, 18:47.

Comment

Just play farpoint and see what FPS in vr should be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Just play farpoint and see what FPS in vr should be like.
        Yeah, gonna do that. I played Doom VFR first because I knew it handled that worse, so I thought it for the best.

Comment

OK, found some time this evening, gonna try FARPOINT.

Comment

Farpoint without VR would be a mediocre FPS with Del Amitri references but with VR its great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Yeah, gonna do that. I played Doom VFR first because I knew it handled that worse, so I thought it for the best.
              I played it with a DS4 and turned off teleport and I had a blast. I don't think the moves are the right way to go with most FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Farpoint without VR would be a mediocre FPS
                From what I've played (about an hour) I agree so far. Like if you were playing this on a pad and TV, it'd feel like a less-involved retread of the original Unreal, though it is quite polished for what it is.

However, the VR adds a great deal, and there are some very clever touches - like how the game allows you to turn, but is really quite linear, and how all of the enemies might leap at you, but they retreat and regroup in the direction of the camera, which subliminally prompts you to constantly reset yourself in that direction. That's clever and required a fair bit of thought.

There are a few problems though. My TV isn't quite high enough for the tracking camera, so I'm finding myself often bumping the edge of the frustrum when I look or aim up. Similarly, it's strange, but I find the movement very immersion-breaking; using the stick to move around really kils it for me and reminds me I'm playing an FPS. I also find that I "creep" around the room, gradually approaching the edge of the tracking area (though admittedly, their in-game solution for this is very good).

Overall I'm liking it! But I think it demonstrates the weaknesses of the platform as well as its strengths.

Here's a pair of questions for everyone:

What is your best PSVR moment so far, in any game?
                What single game is your best PSVR game?

Comment

Later on enemies attack from the rear and sides and you rely on the 3d audio to detect them. I could sometime shoot them without looking just based on the audio. Impressive stuff. Blind firing from behind cover, but accurately is well cool too.

Comment

Playing Area X in Rez. It's they single greatst videogame 'experience' I've ever had.

Rez. It's everything I wanted a VR experience to be.

Comment

With summer here i have been playing vr less as i get hot very quickly and end up with sweat all over the headset and it generally feels gross. Been looking for a solution as the fan is a start but not enough, found a promising product on amazon J they are absorbant sheets that help keep your head dry but also stop the rubberised coating of the forhead pad getting wrecked. On my next order to them i'm going to add some into my cart to try out. They just tuck behind the plastic of the forhead pad so they are dead easy to swap out.

Comment

Best PSVR moment: finally getting into the groove of Wipeout and managing to race fast and well without regular crashes.
                        Best PSVR game: Polybius. Most PSVR experiences feel tacked on and gimicky but Polybius was designed with VR in mind and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                          Best PSVR moment: finally getting into the groove of Wipeout and managing to race fast and well without regular crashes.
                          Best PSVR game: Polybius. Most PSVR experiences feel tacked on and gimicky but Polybius was designed with VR in mind and it shows.
                          Polybius destroys my retinas. I can see it hours after.

Comment

Polybius is a bloody masterpiece in VR but there is one level I can never get past

Comment

Polybius goes beyond what I'm comfortable putting my eyes and brain through.

Comment

Wolfenstein Cyberpilot is out this Friday. Anyone getting it?

Comment

Working...
                                X