Yakuza 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakuza 7

SEGA announced a new Yakuza game is in development for the PlayStation 4. It will start protagonist Ichiban Kasuga. [...]

Sega has now formally confirmed that the next Yakuza entry is on the way starring the franchises new protagonist Ichiban Kasuga. The game is once again headed to PS4 though a release date isn't yet narrowed down.

Meanwhile the PS4 port of Yakuza 5 will be released in Japan this June

Yakuza 7 launches on 16 January 2020 in Japan and will launch in the west sometime next year. The detail that may finally kill the appeal of the games for some though is that the series has abandoned combat and replaced it with JRPG turn based battles

Comment

Holy ****, really? That's....what? I like turn based battles, but so much of Yakuza's identity as a series is tied up in its realtime combat.

I'm really, really surprised by that. Kind of interested to see how it turns out - to be honest the series could do with a shake-up, but I didn't expect this.

Comment

There was very little gameplay shown but what was there (considering we're so close to release) is incredibly slow. To be honest, I feel like I can nod my head to the devs for being so bold with the series and going to such lengths to shake it up but on the flip side Yakuza has fought tooth and nail for three generations to build itself up to where it currently is and to get some sort of success in the West and this feels like almost an instant death for it on that front. JRPG fans are served plenty enough, even most JRPG's are moving slowly away from slow traditional play styles and Yakuza is no stranger to spin-offs so doing this with a main entry that already had the problem of restarting the narrative feels like a gambit too far. Curiosity will get me to try it but I already know Y7 has now slipped right down my Wanted list and I won't be there Day 1, such a miserable change despite how many entries there are.

Comment

It hinges on how well implemented it is. My fear is that the battles will be merely average and will fail to justify their own existence versus the traditional real-time gameplay.

Comment

There's a gif on Era that's about a minute long, it features a brawl where the team (you control a party of 4) manage to pull off a punch and a single whack with a pipe. It comes across a bit like Yakuza 1 where it will be basically functional but require multiple sequels to get it where it should be, I'm doubtful the change or the series would last that long.

Comment

The new Yokohama setting looks really excellent but I agree with the sentiments here that switch to turn-based is a real turn off. The messy real-time combat was one of the highlights of the series. Odd decision.

Comment

It sounds like it is going down a more traditional JRPG route from what I am reading.

Although, is it like the construction side quest in Yakuza 2 Kiwami? That was an interesting twist in the game play...

Comment

Turned based combat sounds like a great way to kill one of the best and most fun parts of the series and sounds like a massive step backwards. Shall have to see, if it works mind

Comment

I'm no Yakuza veteran but I loved the combat in Zero. I honestly enjoyed every scrap as much as the last. But I also read a lot of comments about the series treading too much old ground, so I have to applaud the devs for being radical.

Comment

If Yakuzan 7 is poorly received they've confirmed they'll revert back to brawler style gameplay after

Comment

I used to love the combat, but it's frustrating at higher levels (read: every Amon fight) and is definitely getting quite stale given the number of games it's now been used in - particularly with how frequent encounters are in some of them. It's one of my biggest complaints about Judgement, for sure. Taking such a dramatic turn away from real-time combat is a bold move, and I really hope they get it right - it could be just what the series needed.

The move to Yokohama is also pretty exciting, provided they make it big enough and actually keep the action there without falling back on familiar territories. I know Kamurocho like the back of my hand by now, and I'd be quite happy to shy away from it entirely, rather than like before where you'll have a handful of other, smaller cities, but inevitably things all culminate in Tokyo.

edit: LIKE A DRAGON QUEST
                        Last edited by fuse; 29-08-2019, 10:58.

Comment

Apparently Yokohama is the series biggest city but Kamurocho is in there still

Comment

You can't have Yakuza without Kamurocho. What have I been memorising its layout for otherwise?!

Comment

Rumours that FIFA 21 will be a karting racer are currently unconfirmed...

Comment

Working...
                              X