No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An older title like Destiny 2 could be bundled in as part of a sub, but realistically as we see streaming aim to become more mainstream and offer the latest games, there’s no way a tenner a month is going to cover it. To offer the latest titles they will need to use a blended system like Prime Video - a chunk of stuff as part of a sub, everything else with a separate price (either for permanent ownership or temporary rental) attached to it.

Comment

details just leaked yup £10 a month gets you a game pass style thing

The upcoming streaming platform Google Stadia won’t just follow the Netflix model, as many fans had hoped. It will instead have both a subscription and games for sale individually, as Kotaku previously reported. Here’s everything we learned today during Google’s “Stadia Connect” stream.

• There will be a base subscription available when Stadia launches in November, for $11.99 Canadian per month. This one will give you access to some Stadia games at 4K resolution/60FPS.

• Other games—newer ones, especially—you’ll have to buy.

• In 2020, Google will launch a “Stadia Base” model that’s totally free, but only allows you to play games at 1080p resolution.

• A pricey Stadia Founder’s Edition will be for sale this fall ($169 Canadian) that includes a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a three-month subscription, and Destiny 2 (which, as Kotaku revealed yesterday, will be on the platform at launch).

• Doom Eternal, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, and The Division 2 are also part of the Stadia launch lineup.

Comment

Yah, makes sense. A Game Pass then you can buy newer titles on top.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense. Was going to say that they should get f2p stuff on their too. Particularly those games with cross-progression/cross-play.

But it seems Destiny 2 is going f2p with battle passes (latest rumour) which fits in with that sentiment: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-leak-reveals
          Last edited by Digfox; 06-06-2019, 15:54.

Comment

What's the catch with the free model? I can see plenty of people jumping on that if the same games are offered.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              What's the catch with the free model? I can see plenty of people jumping on that if the same games are offered.
              They come in the night and take your first born. It's in the EULA.

I don't think there is a catch, beyond the obvious data monetisation which goes on with any gaming platform, including the ones where you have to stump up £400 for the hardware. The sub won't be free though, just the hardware.

Comment

Love how absolutely certain you all are that apple are tracking me. You cannot buy ad date from apple.

Comment

Appears the free tier won't launch until next year so you need £119 to be a founder later this year.

You get a Chromecast Ultra, Special Ed. Joypad and 3mths Pro Subscription for that £119. The £8.99 a month sub is the only way to get 4K/60fps, otherwise you're limited to 1080/60.

Loads more at Eurogamer (sorry on mobile) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lved-at-launch

Impressive launch line-up.

Comment

Impressive price and line up. I wouldn't be one of the first to jump in, I'd wait a couple of years and see how it plays out. If anyone can pull off a streaming console it'll be Google.

Comment

Worth baring in mind that Chromecast Ultra is £70 RRP. So that is a discount on the controller and sub.

ESO is a real up and down performer on PC so if that's 4K/60 stable, then that is very impressive. Particularly if an existing PC account carries over.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 06-06-2019, 17:32.

Comment

Still seems more Ouya than Oh Yeah. This has to absolutely explode out the gates otherwise the userbase who feel burnt by stubbing up £120 will word of mouth kill this. Honestly, the free service aspect next year is the only thing in this things favour

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          You don't get the "access to some currently undisclosed free games to be added "regularly'" so you'll be stumping up for the games, the price of which hasn't been revealed. Google haven't mentioned the games that are included in the Pro sub, and it would seem some folks are getting the wrong idea that the launch line up games are included. From what I gather most of those will be additional purchases even with the Pro sub.

Comment

Isn’t almost every game announced for it already available on PS4?
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                              Isn’t almost every game announced for it already available on PS4?
                              I think that could be a killing blow. I'm not saying it has to have exclusives, but a new console on the market has to offer something that no-one else offers. This potentially offers less, because of the constant threat of a lost connection.

Comment

Pretty much, working from the basis that you buy the launch set and are committed to at least 12 months of paying the subscription (because if not then it's really the wrong thing to buy) then without paying for any games on top (presumably all RRP set or close/above) you'll have already paid more than an XBX costs and close to what next years next gen consoles cost once that first year of paid subbing is up. Without knowing A-What the free games will consist of, B-What the release schedule is like for Stadia, C-How pricing will handled on software (regular sales or sticking close to RRPs long term) then the paid unit Stadia is easily the worst 4K current or next gen solution available.

Comment

Working...
                                X