No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple 100% tracks you. That's why the FBI always want apple to provide them data. They (apparently) decline, but it will all be sitting on their servers. I used to try quite hard to keep my data footprint as small a possible, but quite frankly i gave it when it started to become a serious management job. Google will know everything about me now I'm sure.

Comment

So you just see random ads instead of tailored ads? Am I strange for wanting tailored ads? I'd much rather see ads for games I may actually buy than tampons, for example!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post

@TA I use apple stuff. Now maybe they track me but they say they don’t and are making sl.
        Sorry mate, but Apple use tracking and will track and hold tons of your data, even the bloody underground tracks one these days, They are all at it

Comment

Apple track you, but they don't then actively monetise that data. I'm not suggesting they're saints or it's altruistic in any way - they've simply made a virtue of the fact that their business model is based around selling you pieces of hardware, rather than showing you adverts (like Google).

There's nothing wrong with trying to use more privacy focused products - iPhone (or even an Ubuntu phone) instead of Android, Duckduckgo instead of Google, ProtonMail instead of Gmail, employing a VPN at all times, etc.

It's hard, though. Google's products are really good. Search and Maps are much better than competitor products. YouTube is a complete monopoly. And many privacy focused tools and VPNs also cost money every month, making the whole enterprise time consuming and more expensive than using the 'free' tools.

It's definitely something that bothers me though.

Comment

This might not be as dead out the door as we thought, Destiny 2 is coming to Stadia with cross save support being added to all versions as well.

I didn't see that coming. Though given how Bungie is struggling with load times on dedicated consoles, i cant see this running well at all.

Comment

Rumours that PS4 cross-save might not be part of what's announced today.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Destiny 2 is coming to Stadia at all given how late in the game that title is in its life cycle and how hardly anyone interested in it is going to belatedly invest in the Stadia version now, especially as its playerbase will be so ground down to its core players.

Comment

They'd put Destiny 2 on anything that can run it right now in an effort to squeeze any kind of money out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Yeah it’s a headache for sure. I use a vpn when using Netflix but of course I have to login to that service so they recommend me other stuff to view but I don’t get adverts for other products based on my viewing habits.

@TA I use apple stuff. Now maybe they track me but they say they don’t and are making strides in their devices to stop other people doing so either. I had an Ubuntu phone at one point but the sacrifice was just too great lol.

Comment

Uh. Destiny 2? Is there anyone remotely interested in that game who doesn't already own it?

Comment

It has a massive player base on PC and consoles they have made a big hoo har about cross save functionality too with this announcement, i see this as more of a move to woo current players.

it beat Fornite on Wednesday too with its new raid with 139,156 watching it on twitch so its still popular when new content launches.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 06-06-2019, 10:20.

Comment

Oh OK, that’s interesting. I wonder if that audience could be swayed to streaming based gameplay - perhaps a Google Stadia app on Switch might do it, but as they obviously already own a PC or console, there’d be no reason for them to move to an inferior experience on a TV/monitor.

I guess it just feels a little old to make a big splash for me, but then I’m not a loot shooter player

Comment

I'd imagine serious gamers, the type likely to get into Destiny 2, won't be the type leaping on Stadia and are very likely already served by PC or a console. Pretty much like on console, it's pricing approach remains a hurdle also. I own the game and it's hitting 2 years old yet I'd be looking at a minimum £65 paywall to try and get back into it which is ridiculous, that's before you count any further content they charge for considering Destiny 3 isn't out this year. It's not Destiny specific but I think games that use its pricing model really need to consider that approach in future when we're seeing season passes become slowly abandoned across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              I'd imagine serious gamers, the type likely to get into Destiny 2, won't be the type leaping on Stadia and are very likely already served by PC or a console. Pretty much like on console, it's pricing approach remains a hurdle also. I own the game and it's hitting 2 years old yet I'd be looking at a minimum £65 paywall to try and get back into it which is ridiculous, that's before you count any further content they charge for considering Destiny 3 isn't out this year. It's not Destiny specific but I think games that use its pricing model really need to consider that approach in future when we're seeing season passes become slowly abandoned across the board.
                              Yup. Like your PSN/live/steam library, if your already active on D2 you’d have already invested in its expansions on your given platform so this certainly isn’t for current players.

And if bungie gave it way for free in the hopes people spend money in eververse there will be a reckoning from the paid customers.

So I’m not really sure who this version is for.

And who’s going to play pvp in this version when lag is already such a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                It depends if its a buy everything again system or a sub service i cant see them charging for games individually these services are always subscription things.

Comment

Working...
                                X