No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: F-Zero vs Wipeout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it the lazy way - bought a mem card with EVERYTHING unlocked; no way was I going to unlock a lot of it the normal way! (GX)

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      So what? They put F-Zero stuff in NintendoLand!!
      Well, that's another reason to have a tiny bit of hope. If we don't get a new F-Zero within the next 5 years, I'll finally accept it's never going to happen.

I obviously appreciate the original (who doesn’t?) - I probably preferred it to Super Mario Kart back then!
      As much as I like SMK, F-Zero is the SNES racer that has kept me coming back time and time again since 1991. I find the graphics and music really uplifting.

F-Zero X is my pick for best in the series, which I know is controversial to the AX/GX crowd. Yes, its severely minimal presentation and graphical aesthetic is awful even by N64 standards and yes, the “rawk” remastering of the original soundtrack it used isn’t to everybody’s taste (I loved it!) but it conveyed the sensation of speed excellently
      I remember thinking the graphics were too rough -- and the metal style music not as nice as the synth jazz in the original. But I soon started to appreciate it -- and ended up really liking the abstract game world, fast action, and catchy tunes. It's one of few N64 games that I regularly come back to.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Well, that's another reason to have a tiny bit of hope. If we don't get a new F-Zero within the next 5 years, I'll finally accept it's never going to happen.
        Again, it’s been nearly FIFTEEN YEARS since F-Zero Climax was released, a rehash of F-Zero: GP Legend/Falcon Densetsu and an F-Zero game that Nintendo didn’t even bother to release in the west.

There’s hope and then there’s delusion.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 09-06-2019, 05:01.

Comment

Never give up, it took SEGA like 17 years to make a sequel to Outrun and Nintendo 16 years for a sequel to Kid Icarus

Comment

and then there’s delusion.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Never give up, it took SEGA like 17 years to make a sequel to Outrun
            That's a good point. I still have a vague feeling that Nintendo might surprise people with a new F-Zero.

I will also hope and pray for OutRun 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              Think there is either some serious rose tinted glasses being worn or people are still on an ecstasy rave trip of the 90’s!

Have you played an old ps1/Saturn wipeout game recently? Clunky, janky, low FPS, polygons warping and wobbling; I always felt I was wading through treacle with them and the horrible metal clang noise when hitting the track would drive you insane. It was the music, logos and iconic marking that made them; can’t argue with that. Loved fusion though and the the F-zeros from x onwards. GX still is incredible - I don’t think anything has come close.
              Wipeout games on PS1 are locked 30fps on NTSC and 25 on pal. The same as Drive Club on PS4.

Exactly the same as the majority of racing games on PS360.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Wipeout games on PS1 are locked 30fps on NTSC
                30fps was decent for those days. I went back to Wipeout 3 and thought it felt reasonably nice to play.

F-Zero X running at 60fps felt silky smooth, but at the expense of detailed graphics. You couldn't have both. I have always appreciated how Nintendo went for 30 crafts at 60fps over graphical detail.

The Wipeout games were always about creating a sense of being in futuristic places full of detail, so 25/30fps was the best they could get out of the hardware.

Comment

30 FPS is still a thing today. We haven't got close to a 60fps standard for racing games. Team Sonic Racing isn't stable, Forza Horizon needs an Xbox One for 60, The Crew isn't, Drive Club isn't.

The Wipeout games are still very smooth and playable. The handling is by design, it's not meant to be razor sharp, they did that with Fusion and it was rejected for feeling too tight and not floaty enough.
                  The original is certainly the dated on in terms of gameplay, it does feel a bit hollow due to the lack of real racing or action, but 2097 and 3 feel fantastic.
                  Last edited by nakamura; 10-06-2019, 08:39.

Comment

30fps was decent for those days. I went back to Wipeout 3 and thought it felt reasonably nice to play.
                    Its all about the game. One of the most increabile racing games I ever owned and played was Geoff Crammond F1 GP2 and I could only get that to run at 22 fps at the time (and it wasn't stable) 60 fps is nice but its matters more about handling and track desgin. Wave race is another racring game where 20 fps makes no different as the gameplay is so utterly brilliant.

That said I do like this gen for the move up 60 fps for more racers (and FPS) like with Forza 4, F1 series Dirt series , Project Cars 2 .
                    Hoping Codemasters also makes Grid 60 fps for the consoles this gen too

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      The original is certainly the dated on in terms of gameplay, it does feel a bit hollow due to the lack of real racing or action, but 2097 and 3 feel fantastic.
                      Yes, the lack of racing was improved somewhat in 2097 and 3 but mostly due to very obvious rubber banding. 1 was almost like a time trial with other craft dotted around - you could spend a lot of your race alone. I didn't mind it. They kind of improved it in later Wipeouts but it brought with it other problems, such as concentrated areas of combat.

Comment

2097 didn't have rubber banding per se, it has a pre determined AI system where the craft would speed ahead in order. So the first five, second five, third five etc. The first 5 would be the fastest and would race at a top speed for a few laps, again, it's much like a time trial but done a lot better. You could actually keep up with the first five if you were good enough and get to the lead early, but the clearly slow down after a while. They always race in the same order too.

3 felt more like a proper racer, racing against real AI. It was a vast improvement in that area.

Comment

Working...
                        X