User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic Mania

Sonic Mania

Someone has to start a first play on this one. Been playing it since this morning on Switch and I'm absolutely loving this! It does pretty much exactly what I would have wanted it to do - it allows me to play a game that matches my rose-tinted view of Sonic while providing new experiences along the way. It lives up to the best parts of the Sonic legacy for me.

For a start, it looks and sounds gorgeous. The takes on classic tunes are great and the new tracks are wonderful too. Some have a Saturn-era Sonic Team feel and I just love that. The animation and visuals have all been touched up to live up to the originals and go beyond,

The levels so far are wonderful. The first two zones are takes on classic Sonic zones. The first act of each feels like an extended remix of the original but, in the second act, new gimmicks and mechanics are introduced that change the feel considerably, really building on what was there before but now feeling like a new game. The next Zone is all new. Beyond that, there are more new zones and takes on classic zones and not just from the core 3 classics.

Sonic CD is represented too and players who know the Game Gear versions will see at least one nice nod here.

If there was a negative to be found, it's that I have felt the pacing of the levels to be uneven but that can be be attributed to just one Zone in my opinion - the new Studioplis Zone. Unlike most zones here, which have a restrained first act and throws the new gimmicks into the second, Studiopolis is somewhat overwhelming right from the start and just feels too packed too early. The only other negative for me is that, out of all the classic levels to build on, one choice is just simply one I personally didn't like. That's it. Negatives over.

Mostly the new zones are gorgeous. They play beautifully. It just feels right. It feels like a Sonic sequel we never got. Only now we are getting it. It's lovely.

This is super smashing great isn't it. Totally agree with the above, love the graphics and the arranged classic soundtracks.

Negatives....my heart sank when a level from sonic & knuckles turned up which has always been a personal nemesis, and theres been a few points of considerable slowdown in both main and bonis stages (Xbox One version).

Playing Xbox One version here but I've not come across any slowdown yet but then again I'm only up to the 3rd act (the one with Streets of Rage nods).
    Will play more after work tonight. So far I'm really happy. The game looks fantastic, sounds amazing. I get a real Japanese / Euro Sonic CD vibe from the music which is excellent. Most importantly though, this plays like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Any fan of true Sonic will love this game.

I was grinning from ear to ear playing this last night. It's glorious. Makes you realise just how special the original games are and where the series could go in the future. So much creativity in the new levels stuff like the syringes in the Chemical Plant zone as an example.
    Controls are spot on and feel exactly as a Sonic game should.
    The Sonic 3 bonus stages are great with the smooth frame rate a modern system can offer. I'm not too struck on the special stages. I can't seem to build any speed to catch the UFO. I must be missing something obvious surely.

But overall this is a wee gem of a game and should be tried by anyone who's ever enjoyed a Sonic game and if you are jaded by the last 15-20 years of duff Sonic games this will (almost) make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcK View Post
    I was grinning from ear to ear playing this last night. It's glorious. Makes you realise just how special the original games are and where the series could go in the future. So much creativity in the new levels stuff like the syringes in the Chemical Plant zone as an example.
    Controls are spot on and feel exactly as a Sonic game should.
    The Sonic 3 bonus stages are great with the smooth frame rate a modern system can offer. I'm not too struck on the special stages. I can't seem to build any speed to catch the UFO. I must be missing something obvious surely.

But overall this is a wee gem of a game and should be tried by anyone who's ever enjoyed a Sonic game and if you are jaded by the last 15-20 years of duff Sonic games this will (almost) make up for it.
    I think you need to collect the blue balls and rings to build up speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseley09 View Post
    I think you need to collect the blue balls and rings to build up speed.
    I mean... Can we bring phrasing back into the rotation?

I haven't figured out what the Sonic 3 special stages do. I'll collecting something that looks a bit like a grey coin but no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I haven't figured out what the Sonic 3 special stages do. I'll collecting something that looks a bit like a grey coin but no idea why.
    They are listed under the extras option. I guess collecting enough unlocks bonus content. I can see this game having a lot.

Can you do the Sonic / Tails swap move from the start or does it need unlocking? Maybe i'm being a donk but don;t know how to perform it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcK View Post
    I was grinning from ear to ear playing this last night. It's glorious. Makes you realise just how special the original games are and where the series could go in the future.
    Its that music to Green Hill Zone that always makes me happy, it never fails . Loving the game and this is really what should have been on the Saturn as a stop-gap untill Sonic Adv was ready on the Saturn. Fun game but I still find the 3D games better myself