No announcement yet.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In an effort to chase [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] on the Platinum I finished my second run yesterday.

Owl Father and Sword Saint probably took about 30 - 45 minutes to relearn them and then they were down.

It feels weird getting a "worse" ending the more you play but as the game is structured to encourage enhancing your attack power I guess that is a legitimate way to do it.

Still fantastic combat, it doesn't get any easier, you improve, you remember, you watch your enemy and then you punish.

Run three up next!

Comment

Now that I've got you blitzing through multiple play throughs, I feel it necessary to point out that I took the easy way out re: multiple playthroughs and used a backup save to get all 3 of the non-Shura endings in one run!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Now that I've got you blitzing through multiple play throughs, I feel it necessary to point out that I took the easy way out re: multiple playthroughs and used a backup save to get all 3 of the non-Shura endings in one run!
        No way! You git

I don't mind though, I'm enjoying it and I always play FS games multiple times. I mean, only one proper run (which is much shorter than the first playthrough) and a mini run and I'm done!

Comment

Save scum!!

Comment

Sekiro update time!

Third run complete. I am now a ninja master.

I took down

Sword Saint

on my first attempt. Extremely satisfying.

Now to finish the grind for EXP and the final run which will actually present some

new bosses

. I wonder how hard they will be and I wonder how much I will miss this game when it is all said and done...

Comment

This will perhaps be my penultimate update.

Short play through done in about three hours. I’m no speed runner (no glitches) but you can get it all done quite quickly when you know what you’re doing.

A few skill points to grind and my journey will be over.

Comment

I really need to get back into this. I fear I’ve left it too long to know what I’m doing again though. I should have just ploughed through it, but I became obsessed with 100% completion rate for TD2, which I still haven’t achieved.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

9 skill points to grind out... Really should just get it done but I have Spiderman to start now.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                    This will perhaps be my penultimate update.

Short play through done in about three hours. I’m no speed runner (no glitches) but you can get it all done quite quickly when you know what you’re doing.

A few skill points to grind and my journey will be over.
                    Do you have a YouTube channel? It'd be fun to see you slicin' and dicin'!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Do you have a YouTube channel? It'd be fun to see you slicin' and dicin'!
                      Sadly not, this might just be the only game I could actually playthrough on YouTube for it to be of any interest as well! Maybe I'll Lvl up to Attack Power 99 when I'm mega bored and destroy everyone even quicker one day

Then I'll get a channel sorted out.

Comment

So. The time has come for me to make my last post in this thread, I mopped up the last trophy the other day with an hour of farming rats in the Ashina castle outskirts.

As with all From software titles the challenge is in the first playthrough, you're forced into new and difficult scenarios on a frequent basis an you don't generally have the ability to brute force your way through all the situations you face, particularly not in Sekiro.

So you have to learn to adapt to what the designers had in mind here and some of that is available to you from the outset, some of it is not. The parry is your main defensive option that is laced with offensive strength. Weakening an opponent and breaking their stamina is a hugely satisfying mechanic and one that sits on top of the action game tree for me.

And that is what Sekiro most definitely is, an action game and a bigger departure from Souls than I first expected.

As a standalone experience it allows the combat to shine and places a very heavy emphasis on boss battles. Having run through the game multiple times now this is where the oddity in the title comes through for me. When I play through souls I cover all areas in almost the same level of depth as the first playthrough, maybe only missing small bits out, like the bottom level of Sens Fortress.

With Sekiro by playthough 3 I was dashing between bosses as fast as I could and skipping huge parts of the areas I explored the first time round. In some ways this is fine because the bosses are the main events and are easily some of the most tense encounters I've had in a game. You really need to learn, watch, improve and you cannot sit back to power through almost any of them. By the time you are a Ninja Master you know how to force them into certain patterns and punish them appropriately. This is a great deal of fun.

But ignoring the rest of the world is a bit of a missed opportunity, this is partly down to the setting and partly down to the EXP system, both of which are design choices that were necessary but seem lesser than the souls template for me. The setting is light fantasy and has consistent themes and motifs. The only real area of the game that is any different comes right at the end and might even be missed by a lot of players. Souls by contrast is high fantasy which allows for a lot more design choice in enemies and approach that players can take. Sekiro is a ninja game. Souls games are nearly whatever you want them to be.

The EXP system suffers because of this. If you fully explored the game 4 times over I believe you would have enough points to fill out all the trees but really, you hardly ever need the later skills and I don;t think I really used anything other than a few core moves. So you are incentivised to pore over the areas for interesting locals and you aren't incentivised to pour over them for really compelling EXP upgrades. This leaves you to some end game grinding which sullied the last 10% of the whole experience for me, I suppose you could say that is just because I wanted to platinum but yea, I wanted that platinum after putting in the work on the properly challenging parts of the game.

So that leaves me in a place that I didn't think I'd be in. I loved Sekiro. It plays the best of any From game and has combat head and shoulders above the others, even Bloodborne IMO, but I am probably not going to go back to it now that I have 100%ed it. I will always go back to Dark Souls for the world, it is up there for me with Castlevania: SotN. Sekiro stands in a different place, a brilliant game but more of an affair than a relationship.

Comment

Having recently bought this from Adam, I decided last week to give it a go. Having played and completed all of the Soulsborne games apart from DS3 I was looking forward to it but I’ve hit a wall fairly early on, I just cannot beat Genichiro at the top of the castle. Having read a few things online about the difficulty of the game and in particular Ogre and Lady Butterfly I managed to beat them, and the other bosses and mini bosses without too much trouble in 3-5 attempts, but man, Genichiro, I must have tried about 20 times and I can only knock off about a half of his health in his first phase.

I resorted to looking at guides online, but I reckon Genichiro has read them as well and has changed his game plan as he seems to play a lot more aggressive with me.

Never quit a From game before but I’m close to it on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
                            I resorted to looking at guides online, but I reckon Genichiro has read them as well and has changed his game plan as he seems to play a lot more aggressive with me.

Never quit a From game before but I’m close to it on this one.
                            I shouldn't laugh, but I like the idea of a game character reading a guide and going "So that's how they're beating me!"

I missed it at the time, but I really enjoyed your summary, [MENTION=917]ItsThere[/MENTION].

Comment

Genichiro was a nightmare for me as well. Well over 20 attempts on him. My advice is to keep deflecting and then wait for a big attack to punish him with Ichimonji if you have it. Evading often opens you to attack but I found jumping can work well.

Comment

Thanks, I won’t give up yet! Even though I feel like it after another 10 attempts at beating him. If I saw some improvement every time I fight him, like I have with the other bosses and Generals, then it wouldn’t be so bad, but I seem to be getting nowhere with him. I do have Ichimonji so will give that a try. Was trying jumping on him then using Whirlwind Slash but that didn’t work out well. I’m maybe trying to dodge too much, might try jumping away after an attack rather than dodging to the side.

Comment

Working...
                                X