Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game I played most on the Wii U was Mario Maker. I wouldn't have bothered without the touchpad.

Comment

It wouldn't have ever been what saved it but how much would Nintendo's life have been easier if they'd simply called the WiiU the Wii 2 and referred to the Gamepad and the systems approach as simply being able to experience Wii and DS gameplay experiences on a newer more powerful home console?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        The game I played most on the Wii U was Mario Maker. I wouldn't have bothered without the touchpad.
        Yeah, I reckon that’s probably the best use of the system. It’s out on its own though virtually. ZombiU, I guess? That wasn’t that great though. It was useful having a map in Windwaker but entirely non critical.

Comment

Slight deviation... does Virtua Racing have any music? Only had a quick go but it was odd without any BGM playing...

Comment

You need the Gamepad to play Kirby.

Comment

One of the major selling points of the Wii U at launch was all the games that said they'd use two screens for the actual gameplay. I'm sure the map was nice, but it's not that much of a chore to pause or have a print out. It doesn't justify having the screen controller and it definitely didn't live up to its promise of the two screens giving a unique experience you can't have on other consoles.

Yeah, alright, I'm pretty sure all games worked with the nunchuk, but I was saying that it wasn't sufficient to play some games satisfactorily, so the ClassicController was introduced a year later when players asked for a "normal" joypad.

Yeah, but the USP of the 3DS was that it was 3D handheld that didn't need glasses! The name itself is a portmanteau of 3D and DS! You can't buy a 3DS anymore, you can only buy a 2DS - they've phased out the model that does 3D!

The Switch has lost it's ability to "switch" between three different modes.
              I've only ever played 2-player with 2 JoyCons, but that feature is now being stripped out.

I still stand by my statement that Nintendo have a history of implementing new tech and making it a key selling point, only to reduce support or abandon it altogether with revised hardware.
              Your confusing choice with abandonment

the wiiu lets you use a second screen in a variety of ways, it also lets you use it as an off tv screen, you can also play traditional games without the game-pad as well with unique stuff like Mario maker, the wonderful 101 and kirby. choice not abandonment.

The Wii has loads of games that used motion control and a small selection of other more traditional games that use a standard controller again not abandonment of features choice.

the rumors of a cheaper more portable switch to sit along side its bigger super successful dad isn't abandonment of the switch feature set its choice.

The 3DS is a difficult one 3D at the time 3D was seen as huge thing in film and in tvs, these days not so much. So i kind of understand why they dropped it in the final version of the 3DS, they had chance to drop it earlier too as the NEW 3ds still supported 3d and added head tracking to make the effect work better too. 3D was a pretty naff feature and more a gimic than something that actualy improved the games, even without it i would have picked up a 3DS as it was more of a refresh to the 2ds than an entirely new idea.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 02-07-2019, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Yeah, alright, I'm pretty sure all games worked with the nunchuk, but I was saying that it wasn't sufficient to play some games satisfactorily, so the ClassicController was introduced a year later when players asked for a "normal" joypad.
                The Classic Controller was unveiled alongside the remote and available from launch. That was the recommended input for the Virtual Console.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post

The DS of course stands for, "doesn't switch".

That's pretty funny!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    The Classic Controller was unveiled alongside the remote and available from launch. That was the recommended input for the Virtual Console.
                    You're right, thanks.

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    Your confusing choice with abandonment

the wiiu lets you use a second screen in a variety of ways, it also lets you use it as an off tv screen, you can also play traditional games without the game-pad as well with unique stuff like Mario maker, the wonderful 101 and kirby. choice not abandonment.

The Wii has loads of games that used motion control and a small selection of other more traditional games that use a standard controller again not abandonment of features choice.

the rumors of a cheaper more portable switch to sit along side its bigger super successful dad isn't abandonment of the switch feature set its choice.

The 3DS is a difficult one 3D at the time 3D was seen as huge thing in film and in tvs, these days not so much. So i kind of understand why they dropped it in the final version of the 3DS, they had chance to drop it earlier too as the NEW 3ds still supported 3d and added head tracking to make the effect work better too. 3D was a pretty naff feature and more a gimic than something that actualy improved the games, even without it i would have picked up a 3DS as it was more of a refresh to the 2ds than an entirely new idea.
                    Yeah but the Wii U was marketed with the screen controller as a new way to play but the majority of games didn't utilise the second screen. All the games like in the launch video I linked to dried up.

As for the 3DS, I'm not saying it doesn't make financial sense, I'm saying it's USP was the 3D and it was in its name.
                    It's like Head & Shoulders bringing out a relaxing foot soak foam!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      That new model looks interesting, but I always find it confusing that Nintendo are these massive pioneers of video gaming, then bottle it half-way through each gen.

Wii! With unique motion controllers! Now with normal joypads.
                      Wii-U! With unique controllers with screens built-in!No games past the launch games use it.
                      3DS! With unique 3D mode without glasses! Now available in 2D only.
                      Switch! With unique controller design that lets you "switch" from handheld to desktop to console mode! Now with switch function removed.
                      Motion control was cool. Everything else a gimmick but they just can’t stop themselves it seems. The r & d and manufacturing cost increase of having the joycons detachable could have been swapped out for having a regular controller in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Motion control was cool. Everything else a gimmick but they just can’t stop themselves it seems. The r & d and manufacturing cost increase of having the joycons detachable could have been swapped out for having a regular controller in the box.
                        Ughhh, that would have been so lame though. I really don't get the 'Nintendo should have made a PSBox' argument. Honestly, it would have been the death of them. The Switch is a really clever design, and the sales show that the concept and execution have really captured people's imagination.

I just don't think an Xbox with the Nintendo logo slapped on and Mario on it would have achieved the same result at all.

Comment

I put a lot of this down to the success of the DS. I maintain to this day that Nintendo kitchen sinked the DS after Sony said they were entering the handheld market with no real idea what they were doing. They scrambled, threw every idea into a system and, somehow, it was a massive success. It was a device of gimmicks. The Wii solidified that, selling on the idea behind the system rather than the actual games - something almost no other system really does. And so now they needed a gimmick for each system. For better or worse, WiiU, 3DS and Switch are all the next step in that process.

The other thing I’ll always say about the DS is that most of its games were great in spite of the gimmicks, not because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            Ughhh, that would have been so lame though. I really don't get the 'Nintendo should have made a PSBox' argument. Honestly, it would have been the death of them. The Switch is a really clever design, and the sales show that the concept and execution have really captured people's imagination.

I just don't think an Xbox with the Nintendo logo slapped on and Mario on it would have achieved the same result at all.
                            All I’m saying is the detachable joycons were, I think, a mistake. The portable AND home console is one is brilliant. And utterly unique. Nice job. The detachable controllers add nothing really except annoyance.

Comment

@Dogg Thang

Yeah, I think that’s probably true to be honest. I think they’ve taken a chance on an idea with each system ever since. Sometimes it works brilliantly (Switch), sometimes it doesn’t remotely work (WiiU), and sometimes it works fairly well but is ultimately irrelevant to the platform’s success (3DS).

What will be really interesting is what Nintendo do next - beyond the inevitable Switch 2, which will probably be a fairly conservative update in my estimation, will they again dip into the grab bag of ideas? I guess it all depends on how well the Switch 2 does.
                              @Brad

Ah, I see what you mean. You’d have preferred a Switch Mini with a rock and a Pro Pad in the box from the get go.

Well, that’s fair, but I have to say I disagree that it would have been a better choice. 2 player out of the box multiplayer, anywhere you like, is such a compelling idea I think. I reckon Nintendo were right to go with it. It works really well.

EDIT: a dock in the box, rather than a rock. Maybe that will be the gimmick with the Switch 2. Free rock with every console.
                              Last edited by wakka; 02-07-2019, 16:37.

Comment

Yep, I’m with [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] on the joy-cons. I think they are a fantastic idea and are really simple and versatile.

Comment

Working...
                                X