Retro|Spective 084: Metal Slug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 084: Metal Slug

The Axis forces move in and find they're not just facing a group of heroic soldiers but also alien forces in...

Mainline Entry 01 - Metal Slug
    Formats:
    Multiple
    For once SNK found a hit and it wasn't a fighting series. Metal Slug showcased highly detailed sprite work in a walk along shoot em up that also contained plenty of humourous touches by the developer. Named after the vehicle line that the heroes could operate, the series saw players work through stages freeing POW's for power ups before taking down an end of level boss. The end result was ironically not that amazingly well received but SNK would be rewarded by how much mileage they could get from the series.

Mainline Entry 02 - Metal Slug 2
    Formats:
    Multiple
    As with all the sequels, this first follow up followed the same template as the original but with a few added vehicles mixed in. The game also added transformations for the characters that certain conditions or items could inflict on you. The sequel is mostly remembered though for the performance issues it suffered from causing the game to slow down to a crawl in places. An issue that would be rectified in...

Spin Off Entry 01 - Metal Slug X
    Formats:
    Multiple
    A reworked version of the second game, this revamp fixed most of the performance issues from the second title and made a slew of other alterations such as altered levels, new music, stronger enemies and the ability to get fat. The fixes worked and this remains a popular entry.

Spin Off Entry 02 - Metal Slug: 1st Mission
    Formats:
    Neo Geo Pocket
    Mainline Entry 03 - Metal Slug 3
    Formats:
    Multiple
    The third game added branching paths to levels giving players a split route through some sections of levels, encouraging repeat play. A raft of new vehicles were also added to the game and for many it remains a peak within the franchise.

Spin Off Entry 03 - Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
    Formats:
    Neo Geo Pocket
    Mainline Entry 04 - Metal Slug 4
    Formats: Multiple
    Adding a bonus score system for linking enemy kills, the fourth game was also the last of the old SNK made during their bankruptcy. The game was reasonably well received and after this the differences in teams could be felt.

Mainline Entry 05 - Metal Slug 5
    Formats:
    Multiple
    The first full entry of the Playmore era of Metal Slug releases, the fifth game added a slide move to the action and a heavy mix of new environments as a way of compensating for the fourth game being forced to reuse assets to make completion.

Spin Off Entry 04 - Metal Slug Advance
    Formats:
    Game Boy Advance
    Developed specifically for Nintendo's handheld, the game remains canon to the main entries and stars two recruits fighting off similar threats as the central series. The game added a lifebar system that replaced lives and a card collecting element.

Mainline Entry 06 - Metal Slug 6
    Formats:
    Arcade, PC, Playstation 2 and Playstation 3
    For the sixth entry the selectable character roster was expanded beyond the usual four and another four new Slug's were added to the game. Players could also carry two weapon power ups at the same time now as well.

Spin Off Entry 05 - Metal Slug
    Formats:
    Playstation 2
    One of the most distinct Slug entries was this attempt to find a future for the series in the 3D age. Played from a third person perspective, players worked through action that broadly mirrored the 2D games but in clunky 3D spaces instead. With no involvement from the Slug team and poor visuals and gameplay it remains an odd dead end in the franchise.

Mainline Entry 07 - Metal Slug 7
    Formats:
    Nintendo DS
    Developed for Nintendo's handheld, the next entry carried on the traditional action across seven stages and used the systems touchscreen as a map. The game was largely a last push for a 2D series now far behind a 3D age and the arcade short experience didn't sell well to audiences.

Spin Off Entry 06 - Metal Slug XX
    Formats:
    Multiple
    In an effort to get more mileage out of the commercial struggles of the seventh game, SNK made another revised X edition from it that added some small DLC, co-op play and some alterations. It went down well enough with fans but beyond some mobile tower defence titles it marked the end of the franchise for now.

Share your thoughts and memories of Metal Slug

Metal Slug 1 is still my favourite. I like the others, but this game got me into the Neo Geo. I remember paying stupid money (as a teenager) for a brand new white Sega Saturm, Metal Slug + ram cart. One of the best gaming experiences ever for me. I now have a 4-slot Neo-Geo cabinet dedicated to this series (1,2,3&X)

Comment

April Fool! These games never existed and Zaki replied as if he has played one of these fictional games. Joke's on you, Zaki!

Comment

i love 1, 2 and x

the rest never really clicked, but i hear great things about 3

Comment

Probably played 1st Mission the most, as I had that for the NGPC for quite a long time. That being said, the lack of a save/resume was a shame considering it was a handheld game.

To be fair, a big part of the franchise's appeal for me is the sprite art; it has some of the best that the industry has ever produced.

Comment

Absolutely love the Pocket games, especially 2nd Mission. Finding all the POWs and figuring out the branching paths and hidden levels is awesome. I’m glad SNK went for something a little different instead of just a straight up by-the-numbers run n’ gun.

Comment

Being nit picky I know but Mega Enterprise made Metal Slug 4, not SNK.

Anywho...the original Metal Slug is my favourite, it has the perfect length for a Metal Slug game without turning into the bloated form the later games took (I'm looking at you Metal Slug 3)

Comment

Another fan of the series here. A shame about the later games, but the original trilogy and X are just brilliantly playable and full of character and charm. They feel like games made with real love.

1 is probably the best. It’s the tightest and most finely honed entry, but for me there’s not too much in it. 3 has so many cool ideas and levels, but the difficulty is simply too high. The number of bullets the later bosses take is ridiculous and it does really take the edge off the experience.

I first encountered the series on a school trip to Italy. The hote had a little arcade with Metal Slug 3, and myself and another kid called Duncan were absolutely spellbound. God knows how much we shovelled into it, everything our parents gave us for the trip I would’ve thought.

Such a cool series of games.

Comment

They are a load of fun, even though they are crazy difficult. The first few games have some of the best pixel animation ever made, as far as I’m concerned.

Comment

The Slug series is fantastic apart from the 3d miss step. 1,2,X and 3 are all outstanding with X and 3 tying for top place. Even the later games are enjoyable. Both outings on the Pocket are very good too.
                    Great art and animation coupled with catchy tunes and tight run ‘n’ gun gameplay. It’s all the little touches that add character to the games. The range of weapons, the incidental background action and seemingly daft stuff like turning into a zombie or becoming a bit Billy Bunter. And who doesn’t enjoy the zombie projectile vomit weapon?
                    I wasn’t overly fond of the GBA game TBH just seems like the viewpoint is a bit too close.

Comment

I remember getting the jpn Saturn version with ram cart (new) through the door via special delivery, hooking it up to my new 27” trinitron by RGB and playing it for weeks.

Such good memories of that one.

Comment

I need genuine methods of delivery for these games. I'm sick of emulating them now.

I paid something like £200 for 3 back in 2003 and absolutely rinsed it proper because of the money spent. I want to say I got it down to a 2cc but I think it was a 3cc before I finally sold it on (like a dick). That's the only one I've ever legitimately owned.

I'd be more than happy with a NeoSD or whatever it's called but I just can't find an AES in good enough condition. I do actually prefer a bit of existing wear and tear but everything on fleabay is outright obscene. Someone should start doing 1:1 console shell replicas with their info embossed into the insides somewhere as to not irk collectors.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          I first encountered the series on a school trip to Italy. The hote had a little arcade with Metal Slug 3, and myself and another kid called Duncan were absolutely spellbound. God knows how much we shovelled into it, everything our parents gave us for the trip I would’ve thought.
                          I can think of so many games (and pool tables) which fit this description. Crazy really, but then those machines in Spain used to take 25 pesetas (barely 15p at the time), so in retrospect, my parents probably gave me less than the cost of one of their drinks at the bar to keep me out of their hair for most of the evening. Not a bad trade. As a kid they might give me half a dozen coins, but you would ration those out over several hours while watching other kids play too.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            I need genuine methods of delivery for these games. I'm sick of emulating them now.

I paid something like £200 for 3 back in 2003 and absolutely rinsed it proper because of the money spent. I want to say I got it down to a 2cc but I think it was a 3cc before I finally sold it on (like a dick). That's the only one I've ever legitimately owned.

I'd be more than happy with a NeoSD or whatever it's called but I just can't find an AES in good enough condition. I do actually prefer a bit of existing wear and tear but everything on fleabay is outright obscene. Someone should start doing 1:1 console shell replicas with their info embossed into the insides somewhere as to not irk collectors.
                            Get a consolised MVS. The carts are dirt cheap and it's real Hardware.

Comment

I certainly wouldn’t call MVS games ‘dirt cheap’... they’re obviously much less expensive than their AES counterparts but it’s not like it was when Yaton was clearing out all the arcades in China.

Comment

Working...
                              X