Beatmania where do i start??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beatmania where do i start??

So i have been slowly obtaining all the bemani games on the PS1 so far i have every DDR and pop n music game so that now leaves the other main series out of the 3 which is beatmania but this one for the most part is pretty much unknown to me besides me playing the god awful uk release.

So where is a good point to jump in? Bearing in mind i want to concentrate on the PS1 versions first so that rules out any IIDX versions which is a good job as some of them are pretty expensive. Is it worth jumping in right at the beginning and working my way up or is one of the later PS1 releases better?

And the controller, there seems to be so many from budget ones right through to £600+ Konami official arcade replicas, which is the best 5 button controller to get? I'm assuming you can't use the IIDX 7 button controllers with the PS1 5 button games?? There's just so many to choose from and i can't see myself blowing a fortune on the uber deluxe ones so that leaves £100 or less price range which covers a lot of them. I know there's a few of you on here that have vast bemani knowledge so i'd appreciate some imput. [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] [MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] either of you guys know much about this?

I spotted this one it seems to look ok for the 5 button games but no idea if it actually is a decent controller

Out of curiosity if i did eventually head down the PS2 route to get the remaining PS2 Pop n & beatmania games, whats the most reliable version of the PS2 console nowdays? It's been a long time since i owned one and when i did it was one of the chunky original Japanese launch models.

I'd go for DJ Station Pro myself, had one briefly. fuse would probably be able to provide better input though, my experience with beatmania is mostly IIDX. I want to say you can use a 7 key controller with the 5 key games but I can't test that currently and I don't solidly recall if I've ever done that. That said, I know someone that plays IIDX with a 5 key euro controller so I'd think a 7 key would work just fine.

And yes, IIDX game prices are no joke. I sold my 11-16 set in 2011 or so for £200 and really wish I didn't. I have 6-11 currently but I'm mostly familiar with RED and up.

Comment

Going on the assumption that you can use 7 key controllers whats the best one? Obviously the stupidly expensive arcade konami replicas are best but whats one of the better cheaper controllers?

Also PS2 models whats the most reliable nowdays? Slim or one of the fat originals?

Comment

The standard Japanese KoC (konami official controller) has worked for me all these years. The Konami arcade replica is actually pretty bad. You can get very fancy aftermarket controllers which are neat but very expensive and I wouldn't recommend them until you're pushing more difficult songs.

Um, I'd think later slim units would be best in terms of reliability. Say SCPH-77000/79000/90000. You may find game incompatibilities with certain titles, [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] might be able to help here as I remember his posts when buying a PS2 some years ago now. I use a phat debug just because it boots everything, but it is immediately noticeable how much quieter and how much faster games load on later units.

Comment

I’d recommend the DJ Dao controllers all day long, it even works with the PS1 BM 5-key games. You can swap out the buttons, micro switches and it even has illuminated buttons like the arcade. It also has the proper turntable spacing as the arcade cab. It’s an amazing controller. I started to learn iiDX a few years ago but I just don’t have the time or dedication these days so I gave up :/

heres a a quick review I did on the controller.

a link to the online store. https://www.gamo2.com/en/index.php?d...ategory_id=274
          Last edited by ExMosquito; 01-04-2019, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
            I’d recommend the DJ Dao controllers all day long, it even works with the PS1 BM 5-key games. You can swap out the buttons, micro switches and it even has illuminated buttons like the arcade. It also has the proper turntable spacing as the arcade cab. It’s an amazing controller. I started to learn iiDX a few years ago but I just don’t have the time or dedication these days so I gave up :/

heres a a quick review I did on the controller.

a link to the online store. https://www.gamo2.com/en/index.php?d...ategory_id=274
            Oooh those look lush, as does that pop n controller. (bookmarked)

Comment

These guys above have got the PS2 hardware part nailed, and I'd say that on the high-end side of controller things, DJ Dao is definitely a great option. As a quick run-down of other controllers, I'd say most 5 key controllers are pretty awful but the DJ Station Pro is definitely the best of a bad bunch. It has some neat features that you might get a kick out of, but it's hard not to just recommend a low-end IIDX controller. Japanese KOCs ideally need (very easy!) modding whereas US ones generally don't, and although I played daily with a Konami ASC for years, I will be the first to put my hand up and say they are nowhere near as good as the Dao controllers if you're spending that much. I've currently got one of the recent PC USB Konami Infinitas controllers but haven't used it, but I suspect their value is more to do with the Konami name than the quality vs the competition.

In terms of the games themselves? Hooo boy. Picking a 5 key mix is tough but as a general rule of thumb, later games means more songs, and better interface/options - and personally yes, I'd choose 6th + Core over all of the others, any day. Gottamix 2 and Best Hits are good mixes too, but I can see you (personally) also being into something like Sounds of Tokyo, which is a little quirkier and far more colourful. Maybe also the Dreams Come True version? This applies to IIDX also, but do not underestimate how much value the interface changes bring - 6th + Core having center mode (i.e. left-side scratch) and decent speed options is a huge plus for me. As an aside, Beatmania (III) 7th + The Final never getting a proper home release is probably one of Konami's most egregious overlookings.

The cost of Empress is definitely a little excessive, but I didn't think too many of the other IIDX games are that expensive on their own. Empress does also have the extra disc with a whole bunch of old songs in the super-slick interface with the best mods etc (it has Sudden+ and the green number!). I love the early styles as I played and loved them each at the time, but the pre-6th Style interface is definitely quite tough to go back to. You may find that there's some exclusive songs - particularly licenses - that somewhat force your hand though. I know some people find 6th - 9th quite tough to look at too, and only plump for 10th and above, but for me, 6th and 7th were where I really fell for the series and played hundreds upon hundreds of hours score-chasing with friends.

Comment

Also you've now really made me want to play some IIDX, daaaaaaaang.

Comment

Great memories of this series. I got on board with IIDX 6th Style on PS2 and absolutely loved it. Bought the Arcade Style Controller Deluxe as well ... proper big heavy lump

Comment

Thanks for all the input it has been helpful, think i’ll Start by picking up 6th mix & work backwards if I find I really get into it then i’ll Start looking at getting the IIdx library as well. After seeing those dj dao controllers I may end up getting one they look so good as does the arcade pop n controller but they only work on ps2 onwards.

Really didn’t need to see that sound voltex controller lol hnng want.

Comment

Looks like I may get to try out IIDX as I’m off to arcade club next Saturday and they have IIDX 25 updated to cannon ballers from a sinobuz machine pretty hyped as I have never seen it in the arcades.
                      Last edited by importaku; 14-04-2019, 22:02.

Comment

There’s one in Vega in London too. I found that I couldn’t play so well given that the turntable spacing is different than my home controller. Nice to see more than one cabinet in the UK though. Would have loved that years ago.

Comment

[MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] I wouldn't bother with the PS1 5 button versions of Beatmania as the timing is too strict and not as fun and as much choice as the PS2 Beatmania IIDX 7 button games! 😘

Comment

Too late phil i am already commited to the ps1 versions now bought a handful already will get them all now as they are going to be part of my bemani ps1 collection, i might as well put the groundwork in and start on 5 key versions first so i can eventually tackle the IIDX upgrade when i get to it.

Comment

How was your first time playing AC? Of all the Bemani games it's the cabinet I enjoy the most, but it's also very annoying when there's no stool and I have to use the famous 'power stance'

Comment

Working...
                              X