Favourite retro wrestling games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite retro wrestling games?

I've been on a bit of a WWF binge of late, and with that I've been going through a few of the retro wrestling games. One game I have enjoyed is WWF Wrestlemania Arcade on the Megadrive.

Made by Midway, it has the digitized graphics that they made so popular of the time. The line up includes Doink, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, and a few others from that era and comes just after the classic Warrior/Hogan era when the company was trying to push the younger ones.

The game itself doesn't really play like a simulation, more of a Mortal Kombat/Wrestling game, but that makes for more accessible controls. I also love the digitized speech of the commentators like Vince Mcmahon "hit him, hit him" and would be interested in giving the 32X version a try next for the bump in visuals etc.

Anyone else enjoy any of the classic Wrestling games (pre-2000s?) and have suggestions for ones to try out? I heard that the WCW games on N64 were rated back in the day.

Yes. WCW Vs NWO, and by extension WWF No Mercy are by far the best N64 wrestling games.

Other than that anything that begins with Fire Pro.

Comment

As for WM:TAG I think the best version is probably on the PSX. Like NBA Jam TE it's pretty much arcade perfect I believe.

Comment

I'm not a fan of wrestling, but I thought WrestleFest in the arcades was incredible. The graphics were stunning for the time[1991] and the speakers had really booming sound.

Comment

I love the art style of Fire Pro, but can't play them to save my life. Tried recently with the PS4 one, but got nowhere. That said, my wife and I sometimes set up a battle royale, and once she and I have been knocked out, we take bets on which CPU character is going to win.

I've got Wrestle War on Magadrive, but it's pants.

Loved the N64 games.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Yes. WCW Vs NWO
            I came in to say this, particularly Revenge on the N64. Really quite a shockingly good game.

Comment

I tried Fire Pro on the DC. What is happening?! Lol

Comment

I remember having WWF SuperStars on the Gameboy and quite enjoying it at the time... this advert brings back memories.

Before that I used to play Tecmo World Wresting on the NES with a mate from school. And the only Japanese NGPC game I have is Big Bang Pro, strangely.
                Last edited by _SD_; 02-04-2019, 12:55.

Comment

I have a soft spot for The Main Event by Konami (1988).

I think it's the noisy cab shouting the name and commentary, but I also love the graphics too. Less SD than the WWF games.

Comment

Hasn’t this already been done before on here many times??

WWF WrestleFest
                    WWF Superstars
                    WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
                    WCW vs. nWo: Revenge
                    Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium

Pretty much the best wrestling games I’ve played.

Comment

Another vote for WWF Wrestlefest. Was astounding back in the day and still plays and looks great now.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                        I've been on a bit of a WWF binge of late, and with that I've been going through a few of the retro wrestling games. One game I have enjoyed is WWF Wrestlemania Arcade on the Megadrive.

Made by Midway, it has the digitized graphics that they made so popular of the time. The line up includes Doink, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, and a few others from that era and comes just after the classic Warrior/Hogan era when the company was trying to push the younger ones.

The game itself doesn't really play like a simulation, more of a Mortal Kombat/Wrestling game, but that makes for more accessible controls. I also love the digitized speech of the commentators like Vince Mcmahon "hit him, hit him" and would be interested in giving the 32X version a try next for the bump in visuals etc.

Anyone else enjoy any of the classic Wrestling games (pre-2000s?) and have suggestions for ones to try out? I heard that the WCW games on N64 were rated back in the day.

WWF Arcade is one that intrigued me and is on my list of games to get. From what I’ve seen the MegaDrive port looks to be quite a bit better than the SNES.

Comment

Saturday night slam masters 2 though granted unlike the original its more of a traditional fighting game

I agree with Wrestlefest I think it has aged quite well and still looks and sounds pretty good.

Comment

I haven't played many wrestling games and it wasn't my thing for the most part. Enjoyed that Def Jam game from the PS2 era but that might not count. But back when I was young, our local chip shop had a wrestling game arcade machine and I loved pumping coins into that one. I don't know what the game was but I think one of the enemies was called Piranha? I did a quick google just there and it didn't jump out at me so I don't know what it was but it was fun.

Comment

Smackdown 2 barely makes the criteria of this thread but played it to death when I was younger, really want to pick up an NTSC copy at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X