Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We really enjoyed the Umbrella Academy on Netflix the set up is that On October 1, 1989, 43 women around the world give birth simultaneously, despite none of them showing any sign of pregnancy until labor began. An eccentric billionaire hears about this extraordinary turn of events and try's to buy as many of these children as possible. He ends up with 7 of them and sets up a crime fighting team called the Umbrella Academy as each of these children have special gifts.

its not about a crime fighting group of kids though its more about them as grown ups All now living separate lives, its more of a story of how their father screwed them over and is very engaging thanks to a really likeable but very dysfunctional cast of super heroes.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 01-05-2019, 13:37.

Comment

I finally got round to watching season 1 of Stranger Things on Netflix. Loved wallowing in all that sweet nostalgia. Those Duffer Brothers knew just what to tap into.

Comment

Morocco to Timbuktu: An Arabian Adventure

This two part travel documentary goes off the beaten path, deep into the Sahara, in search of the famous City of Gold. It's a good watch, very interesting and informative and introduces sights, cultures and customs you might not otherwise see.

The show brought back so many memories of my own journeys, in particular travelling on foot for 5 days through the Sinai desert with a traditional Bedouin guide in temperatures topping 48 degrees in the shade. It was so hot and bright that you couldn't look further than a few meters without heat haze distorting your vision and the landscape is so alien and vivid and brutal that the images are forever burnt into my mind. It was like walking in a dream for 5 days. Sleeping out under the stars, cooking traditional Arab bread on open fires, sheltering from the sun under solitary fig trees, drinking from ancient hidden wells, bathing in secret mountain desert oases, culminating in climbing to the summit of Mount Sinai. It felt like a Lawrence of Arabia adventure.

What a landscape.
        Last edited by Zen Monkey; 03-05-2019, 12:21.

Comment

In the last decade, there has been a huge decline in the population of floating letter ‘a’s. Amazing to see so many in one shot.

Comment

Finished Season 2 of Stranger Things. Brilliant. Built on the first so well, adding some some great new characters too: Paul Reiser and Sean Astin were both fantastic. Can't wait for season 3 now.

Comment

Supernatural: Season 14
              This had a 'Lost' moment i.e the moment where you can tell the crew making the show decided on an end point for the show and in a single episode it suddenly slams the shutter down on the rolling storyline and spends the next few episodes completely up ending the table to get things to where it wants things to be for the final season. Like the previous two seasons there's been a bit of a budget-wheel spinning air to the show even though it's been entertaining still but the last run of this season completely switches it up and sets up a scenario and final villain that should make for a great finale.

Comment

Has anyone else been watching Chernobyl?

Holy smokes. Amazing, but sobering television.

I struggle a little with docudramas because:
                A: Should we be deriving entertainment from such a monumental tragedy?
                B: They take liberties with characters and events to make it more streamlined and exciting.

Things like a character all on his own observing something, but dies soon after. How do we know he saw it? We don't.
                I take things with a pinch of salt and I'll watch a "what did they change?" video afterwards, but aside from that it's compelling viewing.

I watched the first two episodes last night and it was totally gripping. I had a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach throughout.

The main antagonist is the Russian leadership structure where everyone is scared to make a mistake as it'll cost them their lives, so reporting up the ladder is a series of higher-ranking officials saying "there's nothing wrong here!"

I'll definitely watch more tonight, with an aim to cram the remaining 3 episodes in.

However, you need a backup funny show to watch or you won't sleep!

I watched Big Mouth, which was so cringeworthy for the poor kids, it made Chernobyl seem tame.
                The kid hanging from a zipwire whilst someone pulls down his pants was particularly painful to watch!

Comment

Yeah, Chernobyl doesn't seem like it has a lot of laughs.

By contrast, I'm still watching What We Do In The Shadows and it has been brilliant. Doesn't seem to be talked about much, at least not in my circles, but it's so funny. The main cast are incredibly strong.

Also started watching the new season of Designated Survivor on Netflix now that it has been rescued for this season. It's exactly the same as always which is what I wanted. It's mild drama.

EDIT: I should also mention that Shadows features some great cameos. Dave Bautista and Danny Trejo added fun to the recent episode.
                  Last edited by Dogg Thang; 11-06-2019, 09:18.

Comment

Just realised that for the last month everyone has been posting in the 2018 thread!

Chernobyl
                    Despite how young I was at the time I can still remember news reports on Chernobyl and the anti-nuclear push it led to as well as the concern raised about radiation reaching our shores. There's also the appeal of all those derelict images of the city these days but, despite this taken some fiction license, this is a pretty harrowing account of the events. It opens with the explosion at the power plant so is more about the days and months that followed but still covers everything. It's incredibly well made and despite it being a known outcome event you feel anxious throughout, it's so concerning as well because you know Russia hasn't changed and it's staggering the decision making that occurred and the disregard for human life. Right up there with the best TV of the year so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Yeah, Chernobyl doesn't seem like it has a lot of laughs.

By contrast, I'm still watching What We Do In The Shadows and it has been brilliant. Doesn't seem to be talked about much, at least not in my circles, but it's so funny. The main cast are incredibly strong.

Also started watching the new season of Designated Survivor on Netflix now that it has been rescued for this season. It's exactly the same as always which is what I wanted. It's mild drama.

EDIT: I should also mention that Shadows features some great cameos. Dave Bautista and Danny Trejo added fun to the recent episode.

Yeah it’s really good, I was turned off by the first episode which was too close to the movie, but it’s spun out into it’s own thing without recycling jokes

Comment

Last night I returned to Hannibal after a long gap. Started season 2. I forgot just how good this was. Its a shame it got cancelled.

Comment

Watched Sabrina on Netflix. Liked the light heartedness of it all mixed with the gore and violence. My daughter watched a few episodes and then had horrible nightmares.... oooops.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Watched Sabrina on Netflix. Liked the light heartedness of it all mixed with the gore and violence. My daughter watched a few episodes and then had horrible nightmares.... oooops.
                            You've obviously not go to the constant orgies they are having yet.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              You've obviously not go to the constant orgies they are having yet.
                              I've finished it. She is going to come back to it later

Comment

Star Trek: Discovery Season 02
                                I know this gets digs from corners of the fanbase but I've really learnt to love it, it's amazingly well produced and criticisms levied against it feel a bit hypocritical when you look at the quality of much of the franchises output over the decades. Really odd finale, like they weren't sure if there'd be a third season so wrapped everything up but as there will be one we're going to be in very new territory which effectively now makes this a hardcore ramped up version of Voyager.

Comment

Working...
                                X